Site overhauls

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Site overhauls

Post by dubiousdisc »

The following is a discussion topic from July 2011!

When you decide to revamp your shrines, do you do so by revamping them one at a time, or by working on many of them at the same time?
Emma
Time Traveler

Re: Site overhauls

Post by Emma »

One at a time! I've discovered that I'm not great at multi-tasking something like this. By trying to work on a bunch of sites at the same time, I won't get anything finished. I'm much better off focusing on an individual site until I finish it, even if sometimes I really want to do be working on something else. If I persevere with one I usually end up with a better site (IMO) and a better sense of accomplishment!
a spoony bard
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

I like to say I complete one site at a time, but in reality I apparently work best with many, many irons in the fire, tweaking as I get time and have mental energy. If the "iron" for a site isn't "hot," then I'm just not going to be able to do my best work on it no matter what I do--everything will be forced and crappy and I'll just have to redo it all later. So I hop back and forth from project to project, unless and until one site in particular catches my interest and I get super absorbed and suddenly produce EVERYTHING in one night, etc. xD
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

I tend to work in short spurts of only one site at a time, because if I let things sit for too long I'll just forget what was my point XD I might make some mockups and write down some ideas for several things at the same time, but when it comes to getting down to producing the thing in fine detail, I focus on only one thing.
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

One at a time since it's the only way I've done it XD The first time was for Sesshoumaru's Castle and I had to update all the code and information plus remove the guestbook. I just do it as I go and not plan anything lol
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I used to be into Site revamps more but now my attitude is, "YOU CAN'T MAKE ME DO IT". Hence why I have many shrines with out of date code and design. Now that my standards are so different I see revamping as a huge endeavor. ;_;
Bobbi

Post by Bobbi »

My sites are mostly pretty old. Thankfully, I'm pretty happy with the content on my Rosa shrine and don't feel the desire to revamp. My Xenosaga shrines really need a lot of work. I wrote a lot of them with a friend who also made Xeno shrines and we joked around a lot in our content. Now some of it doesn't feel very relevant years later. I'm going back and cringing at some stuff I've written over the years. There are a lot of spelling, grammar, and markup errors everywhere.

I'm trying to focus on one site at a time, one section at a time and go from there. But I do have a tendency to skip around a lot. I might decide for one night that I'm going to work on another site rather than one that I've been devoting more attention to. I'm scattered like that.