Sundown - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Updates and input on ongoing projects, shrines, and revamps!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Sundown - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Post by dubiousdisc »

Sundown
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: a travel journal in retrospective
So this is my shrine for the Fictional Worlds Challenge. Oblivion is easily the game I've played the most in my life, and it's high time that I collect my thoughts about it.

Right now there's an introduction and one page, but they're both pretty long, so there's already enough to read. Right now the page about nature ends kinda abruptly because I am still writing more subsections for it, but what's there is otherwise as complete as it can be right now (I'm sure I'll think of more stuff to add later, but for now it's fine to read).

You can tell this is going to become my beast of a site.

Hardcore Burning-Ass Spicy critique welcome!
Larissa
Time Traveler

Re: Sundown - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Post by Larissa »

Oh man, I love what you're doing with this!! :!: :heart: :star:

I haven't played Oblivion (or any of the Elder Scrolls games, it's on the long long list of things to play) but having played Fallout and knowing that the open-world mechanics are (relatively) similar between the two because Bethesda it was easy to follow along. You really captured the feeling of finishing the opening sequence and being let out into the wide, open world, free to do whatever you'd like -- whether that's following the plot or roaming the world until you stumble upon a quest that interests you, or just wandering into a dungeon.

(Honestly, one of the reasons I haven't played the Elder Scrolls games yet is because I know I'm going to pour hundreds of hours into them, because that's how it was with Fallout. Thanks, Bethesda...)

I really love that you've focused on nature and plant life for the first essay! It's a really unique page but very interesting; I love all the real-world comparisons. It does end a bit abruptly; perhaps consider adding a conclusion that ties your thoughts together on the subjects you've discussed on the page? Or perhaps discuss how these plants are used in the game in more detail.

Definitely looking forward to more! :heart: Also, I love the layout -- as always, your typography is lovely.
tonight fate is the
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

It's been a thousand years since I've played Fallout but yeah, they are very very similar. In fact, when you've played Oblivion and then go to Fallout 3 I have to say that some of the impact of Fallout in itself gets lost because it feels a lot like you're actually playing an Oblivion mod and that can be very jarring in some places. Maybe you'll get the same thing in reverse?

Oh and absolutely, these are the sort of games that suck you in completely, don't try until you're ready. I didn't play Skyrim for like 5 years since it came out because I expected to get completely lost in the way I got with Oblivion... at the time when it came out, I was in the process of graduating, and I really couldn't afford to start something like that when I needed to be focusing on other things, then other things happened and... (Spoiler warning: in the end, I didn't like Skyrim so that was a moot point, but what matters is that I PROTECTED MYSELF JUST IN CASE)

On the page ending abruptly: I see you missed a critical sentence in the post above. your punishment is THE GUILLOTINE

(I AM KIDDING, MAYBE)

No it's ok, you're right and there's still so much stuff I can add to this page. I really need to write about monsters and animals and especially horses because now, all seriousness aside? a site about this game wouldn't be complete without at least one mention that horses can report crimes. And can bounce on water. And a lot of other things that make the page about horses on the wiki one of my favorite things to read in the world. For the alchemy, I'll go into it in much more detail in the page about magic - here I didn't discuss what the different effects are like beyond summing it up quickly, I'll have to add crosslinks to the other pages when I have them and have all the long-winded explanation over there.

There's a good chance of this page actually never ending at all.
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

dubiousdisc wrote:that horses can report crimes.
i'm sorry what. what

I shouldn't be surprised (because Bethesda) but LMAO WHAT. Please write as much about that as possible. (But yes, animals would be a great addition here!)
tonight fate is the
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

What's best is that, that's not even a bug. I kid you not, that is a feature. There's an entire mechanic about horses being witnesses.

BETHESDA.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I have no crits right now but I am eager to see how this unfolds! It's gorgeous, as always, and incredibly easy to read! I can't wait to see more *_*
Anise

Post by Anise »

Love the layout! I've never played the games before but I am glad that horses can report crimes. I would certainly hate it if a crime was committed and my horse was the only witness but couldn't tell me what happened. Bethesda has taken important steps to create an in-game justice system you can believe in.
The Second Guardian Network ☆☆ Esperits.ORG
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

zOMG DUBS DAT LAYOUT THO

THE PICTURE THINGY IS SO PRETTY AND IT SCROLLS...SORTA LIKE THE PAGE MOVES UP UNTIL THE PICTURE DISAPPEARS anD oMG

</nonsensical geekery>

Seriously though, I can tell that this site is already on track to be another amazing jewel in the crown for you! YAY <3 and the way you've written about Oblivion so far is AWESOME!
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

This layout is so amazing and well-organized and *that footer* I'm going to cry it's too much beauty.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Aw, thank you everyone!

And Anise, you almost killed me and I don't know if it will fit in what I'm writing but I'm really tempted to quote you. And if not, I'm just copying that in a file for my own reference so that I can open it in the future and die of laughter a second time.