Fonts for Banners

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
Emma
Time Traveler

Fonts for Banners

Post by Emma »

This is a bit of a revival of this topic for the Banner Trade. Let's talk fonts!

What fonts do people use or would recommend for button making? Do you have your failsafe fonts that you always fall back on (like me)?

I’m really fond of Wendy, Ernest and 04b24 as pixel fonts. Wendy also has the heart, which I love. I think I rely on pixel fonts too much sometimes.

Violation is probably my favourite script font.

For serif fonts, I tend to stick with Georgia, Times, etc? I think they can look nice but can be tricky to work with at smaller sizes.

For san-serif, I like tall, skinny, condensed fonts like Tall Dark and Handsome Condensed. (I'm not sure if this button is that particular font, though.) and also chunkier ones like Impact. I also use regular fonts like Arial, etc. I should probably be a little more adventurous.

Also, does anyone else ever make buttons and love how the font looks but can't remember the name of the font and because you have about a million fonts installed you can never find it again? I need to start keeping track of what fonts I'm using better...
a spoony bard
Emrys

Re: Fonts for Banners

Post by Emrys »

TALL DARK AND HANDSOME IS ONE OF MY FAVS. I am so biased to it. But for me, I know I am very partial to using Pixies, a pixel font, for all of my buttons.

But I also have..... too many.... fonts....... I remember like..... 1/3 of the names <<;;
Stefi
Administrator

Post by Stefi »

Georgia is my go-to font because I'm hella basic like that. I actually loved using pixel fonts in my buttons, but I had to drop them around 2006 once started to define my design style. Unfortunately, because I used Georgia so often, it's now easiest and most familiar font for me to work with. I swear, it's like I always make buttons with the intention of using that font -_-

I think I ended up using Code Bold Regular and Sonder Sans Black more than a few times for this event. Although, I don't exactly have much in my font repository right now ahaha :swt:

I also really love using any of the Jellyka scripts, though whether it works tends to be hit-or-miss.

dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

I also end up a lot with Georgia

a lot with Helvetica and lookalikes (in particular Arial Condensed. It renders pretty well at tiny sizes, I think)

but my absolute favorite font - not just for banners, if you've visited my junk you'll see it all over the place - is Bodoni. It needs a bit more space to render well, though, so it depends on what you have to write on the button and how:

Emma: If you lose track of this or that one font, though, maybe one of us remembers and we can help identify :D
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

I just used Code Bold Regular, Stefi, I really like it. I can see this getting into the regular rotation.

GEORGIA IS A GREAT FONT. it is not basic, it is versatile and adaptive. :music:
dubiousdisc wrote: Emma: If you lose track of this or that one font, though, maybe one of us remembers and we can help identify :D
I should do this, actually. I'll have to find the layouts/buttons with the fonts. :eyes:
a spoony bard
Stefi
Administrator

Post by Stefi »

No problem, thanks for the recommendation on Tall Dark and Handsome Condensed! It looks really good and is easy to work with :star:

Bobbi

Post by Bobbi »

Georgia and Century Gothic are my go-tos for literally anything and everything. I usually have to add some bold to the latter though.

Image Image
One site, two buttons, those two fonts. XD

ALL GEORGIA HERE

And again. Oh, and I used some pixel fonts in some old buttons for this one. :p

I think for my next shrine, or any new buttons I make I'll try to use something different!