BOMBSHELL · a tribute to Quistis Trepe of FFVIII

From April to the end of December 2016, have courage to start and share your in-progress works! Release your shrines unfinished, and use community enthusiasm and feedback as fuel to keep working on them.
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: BOMBSHELL · a tribute to Quistis Trepe of FFVIII

Post by Robin »

WOOOOOO SOPHIA YOU ROCK *pompoms*

The layout is beautiful (love the shade of blue, btw!!), and the content that is up so far really draws me in, even as a person who has never known much about the character or the game series she's from. I also understand your layout struggles ;_; (HTML and CSS like to bully me around a lot by refusing to do what I politely request of them, thus leading to some screaming at the computer screen...but only occasionally ^_^' )

Also, seconding everything Lethe said xD <3<3<3<3<3
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Sophia

Post by Sophia »

-hugs lethe and robin- thank you both so much! It's been embarrassing and good to put an unfinished product up. Embarrassing to see my screwups, but I might not have seen them otherwise, so very, very good. I am still working on making my italics non-irritating for firefox - somehow it isn't picking up the 'Playfair Display Black' font, the way that chrome and IE do? Figuring that business out.

Having no life, I uploaded three new pages. I'm proudest of the personality one, but I did a sketch on her profile (mostly me yelling at Tetsuya Nomura: THOSE ARE PANTS? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU) and on her limitbreaks (some clever person linked a cool essay to blue magic for me, WONDER WHO HUH).

-hugs on Robin- I appreciate that someone who has no prior love for FFVIII can be drawn in! I'm really struggling with that. I think one can reveal how much they know about a subject if they try to explain it to someone with no prior knowledge ... and when I imagine an audience like that as try to write for this site, I am realizing how little I know about FF, and FFVIII in particular. AND YES, THE STRUGGLE IS REAL.

Lethe, thank you as always for your thorough commentary. <3 <3 It does make me feel better that what I feel like is very shot-in-the-dark ("uh should it look like this? I DON'T KNOW JUST DO IT") is coming across as a style, rather than just being a big weirdo. :) I want to respond so much more, but it is Xmas eve, and I need to go be a good hostess >> Please know that I have taken all your typos into account, and sincerely appreciate the support!

RAY GUN SUE
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

I am always here for questioning Nomura's Choices.I also thought I had commented here before, but apparently I had not.

It's been a very long time since I've played FFVIII (10 years at the very least) - it is on my list to replay the Steam release. It's honestly never been one of my top favourite Final Fantasy games, so it keeps getting bumped back down the replay list. But reading through this has me thinking I should get around to it very soon. So much of what I think of this game is half remembered or comes from sites like Larissa's Divide or Drafted and the other great FFVIII sites around...AND NOW BOMBSHELL. You've written a really interesting introduction page!

You should be proud of the personality page - it offers a great insight into Quistis. I'm also glad you brought up her position of authority over Squall and thoughts on why she did indeed pick the person least likely to respond positively to her. As a woman who has self sabotaged relationships, I am getting many feels on this morning as I read this.

I also really like how personal it is. You weave through how you felt about things back when you first played the game, and how you feel about them now. Really nice to read through.

I look forward to more!
a spoony bard
Sophia

Post by Sophia »

Hahaha, that is a hella accurate gif regarding Nomura

It's funny to hear that. FFVIII was the first game that really grabbed me, so it has a deep, hard to question status in my heart, but replaying it for reacquaintance and screenshots has made memany of its weaknesses. (Similarly, realizing that it's KINDA CREEPY QUISTY TO MACK ON YR STUDENT DURING THE BIGGEST TEST OF HIS LIFE was shocking to me, though in retrospect, how did it take so long to figure that out.) Talking briefly to Larissa about FFVIII helped prompt that replay, about how she had not expected to make a shrine to Squall beforehand - just funny what gets you when you're older.

Anyway: thank you kindly, Emma. <3 I should say that both your Red and your Beatrix shrine tempt me to revisit those games as well! I've never played FFVII at all, but it's been recommended too many times for that to remain true forever; meanwhile, funnily, I remember playing FFIX first and not getting it. A dumb part of it is that I thought Zidane was a girl (LOOK AT THOSE HIPS, also I'm not ~detail oriented), but found "her" unrelatable? I liked the thought of her being a play-girl girl, but as a kid I was like 'PFT THIS IS A POORLY WRITTEN WOMAN.' Then the disk started skipping. I got farther later, but I think it begs for revisitation.

... per usual I talk too much and say too little. Again, thank you so much for responding. :) It truly means a lot! And if you ever do replay, I'd be very interested in your thoughts, even if they're uniformly ICK FFVIII WHAT WERE YOU THINKING *choices gif*.

RAY GUN SUE
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Hey there! Just wanted to check to see if you have a 200 x 40 button I can use to link this site in the official event summary post :)
withinmyworld.org
Sophia

Post by Sophia »

I'm so sorry for the delay in getting back to you. >< Here it is!

RAY GUN SUE
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

No prob! :D :D
withinmyworld.org