Content Fonts

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.

Serif vs Sans Serif?

Serif
25%
Sans Serif
75%

Total votes: 12

Destinie

Content Fonts

Post by Destinie »

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good fonts to use for large content. Right now, I'm working on my Dynamic Duo content and for the layout I want to use a larger, possibly serif font for the content.

Typically, studies show that sans serif fonts are easier to read on screen and serif fonts are easier to read on paper. What do you prefer looking at when reading on the screen?

I think that a large, dark gray serif font on an off-white background would be easy on the eyes. I typically use Georgia but does anyone have recommendations for a font they think would be easier to read, especially for lengthy content?
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: Content Fonts

Post by Robin »

I've always been partial to Garamond, Georgia, and Times (especially at slightly larger sizes with a good bit of line-spacing and perhaps some italics thrown in there). But I also like Century Gothic and Candara (sans-serif fonts)--just depends on what looks better with the layout, I think. (Side note: I am so sick of using Verdana and Arial >_< LOL)

These days I use CSSFontStack as both a reference for web-safe fonts and a way to generate diversified font stacks. Definitely worth a visit! :D
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Thanks, Robin! I love the Georgia/Century Gothic combo. Century Gothic is honestly my favorite font - haha. I, too, and just sick of Arial and Verdana and think that in this day and age it's really easy and appropriate to embed fonts into our sites. I was using embedded fonts just for headers but I think I can branch out into using them for content as well. :)

I also appreciate Gill Sans ♥ and Trebuchet, hehe.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Oh, I forgot to mention that I generally use serif fonts as body fonts and sans-serif as header fonts, for readability purposes. (I remember reading somewhere that people read body text easier if it's in serif fonts, even if it's on a computer screen. Don't remember where.)

Sorry about spacing out on the whole point of your post, LOL...ADHD brain was all "OMG FONTS YAY FONT NERD MODE ACTIVATE"
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Actually, those studies are outdated at this point - that was true with older monitors and resolutions and small copy (say, maximum 11-12px). Now with the current technologies it's perfectly okay to use larger serif fonts on screen.

That aside, some of my favorites (other than Georgia, which I really really like too):
- Vollkorn
- Average (in action: I use it for the copy here)
- Roboto Slab
- Playfair Display (I use it over here)
- Libre Baskerville
- Crimson Text

These all have very different moods and styles so it really depends on what you're looking for in that direction. I just like them. :D

Edit: Oh I forgot to reply to the actual question of this, haha! Personally, I use more sans-serif fonts just because I think that the mood of most of my sites is more conducive to that. And because I'm a total sucker for Helvetica Neue :B
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I use Tahoma, Trebuchet MS, or Georgia for content and Georgia and Calisto MT for headers usually. I don't really know anything about Serif or Sans-Serif. :X
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Thanks, Robin! I sometimes do the same. :>

@Dubious TBH I was hoping to get your input...Typography FTW!! I've been leaning more towards Serif fonts these days but I was really hoping to get some general input. Do you have links to aforementioned research? It would be helpful for me and my work~ <3

@Crystal Thanks for your opinion. :) I also like Trebuchet, it has a nice form.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

I don't really remember where I read the updated studies...You know what, I should go on a RESEARCH! SPREE! and let's see :D BE BACK LATER WITH MORE INFORMATION
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

Oh boy lol This came up a lot during my time in college. There's a lot of information of this posted around the net so I'll just summarize it with my own additions.

The ideal way is sans-serif fonts like Verdana and Tahoma is for content - especially with Verdana since the font is build to be read on monitors/displays with ease. What this means is that the letters are very legible.

Of course that doesn't mean you can't use them alongside with headers. Sans-serif fonts are also great for that~ :D

Serif fonts like Georgia and Times New Roman are very ideal for headers. While I have used it for the content before since it fit a certain subject, all of the serifs on the letters make it a little bit hard to read. Especially if sized down.

I love to use Google Web Fonts so that I can test and compare fonts to see if they're legible or not. Open Sans is the most popular sans-serif font that I've seen nowadays alongside Callibri.

There are some fonts that are great to use both scaled down and up but there are others that you can only use for only scaled up or only scaled down.

The best font to use for a huge amount of content is Verdana. It's used universally by many sites, this forum uses it too, but if you want something different, I really suggest using the paragraph feature in Google Web Fonts to find one that will suit your needs.
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

My thoughts are more or less +1 to everything Camy said. I tend to use sans-serif for content (almost always Google Fonts or @font-face for a universal look across browsers) and if I use a serif font it's almost always in headers. I'm sure there are exceptions in my sites but that's the general rule of thumb I stick to.

Personally, I care less about the choice of font and more about the size of it. I have poor vision (even with glasses) and if a site has small text I'll just end up going for the zoom button. If a site has small, cramped text (line-height is important too!), it doesn't matter what the font is -- I can't read it :(

(Now you know why my sites have increasingly big text -- I am all about readability because I can't see.)
tonight fate is the