Doctor Who

Any series that isn't anime as well as live action movies.
Robin
Events Staffer

Doctor Who

Post by Robin »

Just noticed we don't have a Doctor Who topic. Any fans here? Who's your favorite Doctor?
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Emma
Time Traveler

Re: Doctor Who

Post by Emma »

I don't watch it anymore but NINE. <3 NINE WAS THE BEST. Although my favourite companions are Martha and Donna. Donna especially made Ten more bearable (I loved Rose at first but then...ughhhhh) I need to watch Capaldi's run, I quite like him as an actor. And I've seen them filming around here! Which is exciting. I need to visit the Doctor Who Experience sometime, too. Fly the Tardis and everything.

I never watched old Who but I have a bunch of old Who VHS tapes that my much older brother had at the time. I'm not sure how I ended up with them but...I don't own a VHS player because ain't nobody got time for that anymore.
a spoony bard
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

My bf introduced me to 1st Doctor (William Hartnell, 1960s) through DVDs he's been buying like mad on Amazon. I wasn't too into it, tbh--the show felt suuuuper campy to me. Then I managed to catch some of 9th's run, plus some of 10th, 11th, and the currently running 12th, and my feeling was, "OK, I get why everyone else likes it and why 9/10/11 would be somebody's fav Doctor, but...ehhh not for me."

Then my bf brought over the 1996 Doctor Who TV movie (basically, the pilot for the 8th Doctor's series that never panned out). He said later that he was worried that I wasn't finding the show interesting...and then, about 1/4 of the way through, he heard me exclaim "DAYAMMMMM HE FINE!!" this scene specifically...hajskhdkfjasdf (I'd already been paying attention since the 8th Doctor first appeared on screen, so adorably disoriented and lacking his memories, but my inner redneck-talking-to-the-TV happened to express itself at that moment)

The selling point for me, though, was this absolutely magical scene a few minutes later. 8th Doctor (Paul McGann) says "I remember I'm with my father--it's a warm Gallifreyan night...there was a meteor storm, and the sky above us was dancing with light!" AH MY HEART. <3 Eight is so compassionate and poetic, yet he's still the clever badass we've come to know and love in the whole series.

So, yeah, I'm definitely an Eight fan now. Going to have to get my hands on the audiodramas that McGann recorded, continuing Eight's adventures... :D :D
withinmyworld.org
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Update just to say that the audiodramas are AWESOME so far. Started with "Storm Warning" (released in 2001) and am now listening to "Minuet in Hell"--the stories come in 2-hour audios that can be listened to in 30-minute "chapters," so that's pretty cool.

So far, Eighth Doctor has:
- met a member of an alien race in 1930s England, who needs to get back to its people
- had to figure out how to fend off Cybermen (Borg before Borg existed, basically)
- helped solve the mystery of a destructive curse in 23rd-century Venice

Check out bigfinish.com if you're interested in Doctor Who audio--they have audios for just about every recent Doctor! :D
withinmyworld.org
Laura

Post by Laura »

This may be a bit of an old topic but I have to revive it! I'm a pretty huge Doctor Who fan and I'm absolutely devastated that we have to wait a whole YEAR before getting any new content. T____T Is anyone else feeling the pain??
Eunice

Post by Eunice »

Oh yes, I'm missing the Doctor too! I have an awful feeling that when Stephen Moffat does his last season, next year, it will be Peter Capaldi's last too.

My favourite Doctor? Nine! My first Doctor was number 2, Patrick Troughton. I don't really remember a lot of his run, except that I used to watch from behind the sofa, or outside, through the living room window! The Cybermen terrified me!

Who is your favourite companion? I think mine would be Donna.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Capaldi was offered to stay on for the new director's season after Moffat's tenure finished. :D So that's a good sign... but he seems really unsure of how much longer he actually wants to stay on since it's a lot of work. I really hope he stays for at least the first season under the new guy. T_T

My favourite Doctor is 11, Matt Smith. :) He was my first Doctor coming back to the series; I'd seen some older episodes with Tom Baker and others when I was a kid but I barely remember it. xD That being said, Baker's Doctor is a close second to Smith's. I'm also really loving Capaldi's performance. :)

Favourite companion is really hard to pick... I love Amy but I'm not sure I'd straight up say she's my absolute favourite out of the lot. I really liked Leela, actually. :D

I originally HATED Donna. T_T I just felt that she was super annoying in her first episode but when she made her second appearance and became a regular companion, I actually grew to love her quite a bit.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

All of my fav companions so far come from the Eighth Doctor era. Eight's original companions, Dr. Grace Holloway and Chang Lee, were set up to be really cool characters but never got the chance to be expanded on much. Grace in particular has a Dr. Crusher vibe that I greatly appreciate. :D

But I also have to give a little shoutout for Charlotte "Charley" Pollard, the twenty-year-old "Edwardian adventuress" whom Eight rescues from a blimp crash in 1930 before they go on all sorts of wild timey-wimey adventures outsmarting classic and new DW baddies. Ahh, Eight and Charley are both sort of romantic free spirit explorers in the beginning... :')
withinmyworld.org
Laura

Post by Laura »

Ooooh, that's interesting, Robin. :3 I'm assuming most of his companions are from the novels/dramas, yeh? I actually haven't seen the movie so he's one of the only Doctor's I'm not really familiar with. I haven't been able to see the movie listed on Netflix but maybe it's on iTunes, hmm~ You have me wanting to at least read some of the novels now too. XD
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

wolfrun wrote:Ooooh, that's interesting, Robin. :3 I'm assuming most of his companions are from the novels/dramas, yeh? I actually haven't seen the movie so he's one of the only Doctor's I'm not really familiar with. I haven't been able to see the movie listed on Netflix but maybe it's on iTunes, hmm~ You have me wanting to at least read some of the novels now too. XD
Yeah, most of Eight's adventures are in the form of audiodramas, books, and comics. (The novels and comic series take Eight in a liiiittle different direction from the way Paul McGann plays him in the audios, but I have to admit I'm a bit biased there ^O^)

Definitely check out the TV Movie if you can find it. I found my DVD copy on Amazon, but they might have it available as an Amazon Prime thingy or something. (Haven't found it on Netflix or Hulu, though, which is sad.) The TV Movie is very 90s but it's a lot of fun. :D
withinmyworld.org