Defiers of Fate: FFXIII series

Promote new and existing shrines. We'd love to know what you've been making!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Larissa
Time Traveler

Defiers of Fate: FFXIII series

Post by Larissa »

Soon after I finished playing Lightning Returns, the last game in the FFXIII trilogy, I decided I wanted to make a fansite for the FFXIII series -- I had always loved the first game, and really enjoyed its two sequels. I figured I'd pair it with the Lightning fansite I've always wanted to make, maybe throw an unapproved fanlisting for the whole series in there, and call it a day.

Then I somehow got approved for the FFXIII fanlisting and went "well shit I guess I'll get started on it now."

Since the fanlisting had a deadline, I couldn't finish all the content I had planned for the site -- it only covers the first game so far, and I have about a dozen essays planned, I just didn't have time to canon review the games to write them. Hopefully soon. In the meantime, there's lots in the information section to tide you over, and a full gallery.

This is one of those ridiculously big projects I feel a little mental for starting, but I had lots of fun building it. :content: Thanks to everyone who's listened to me go on about it for the past few weeks, sob.
tonight fate is the
Emma
Time Traveler

Re: Defiers of Fate: FFXIII series

Post by Emma »

WOW LARISSA.

Firstly, it looks amazing. I love all the different headers, and the way you've laid out the site.

Secondly, I'm impressed by how much you've gotten written in such a short space of time! I can't wait to see what more you've got planned. I'm reading your defence of FFXIII right now, and I really do agree with you on the similarities between X and XIII and the vitriol that XIII gets when X doesn't is a little baffling. (I don't know if people are just wearing nostalgia goggles or what)

And congrats again on the approval. :) I shall be joining soon.
a spoony bard
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

Thank you! :heart: I had a lot of fun with it -- I'm not sure how I got this all together so quickly but I'm glad I was able to, haha.

To be honest I think it's mostly nostalgia goggles (and I may add a bit about that on the page), but it's absolutely baffling to me. I mean, if people disliked XIII for all the reasons they claim, they should universally love XII, because it's just the opposite -- it has an expansive sidequest system through its hunt missions, it's the closest to open-world Final Fantasy has ever been (until Lightning Returns), it has a classic fantasy storyline. And yet... nope, XII also gets a lot of hate in online communities "because it's like an MMO" and because of the gambit system.

Conclusion: the FF fandom is unpleasable. tbh I think people just want each FF game to be like their favorite one, or the first one they played, and if it's not, then it's the worst thing ever. When, in truth, the Final Fantasy series has been about reinvention and new ideas since day one. Sigh. On a personal level it's fine by me if someone doesn't like x game in the series so long as they recognize that all FF games are not created equal.

oh my god i tl;dred everywhere I'M SORRY I JUST FEEL VERY STRONGLY ABOUT THIS. As evidenced by the tl;dr essay on the site, clearly.
tonight fate is the
Eimii
Time Traveler

Post by Eimii »

omg this site. im in love already. you write so well. its well thought out and easy to follow. and i agree on just about everything. including snow.... haha.

i love how everything is laid out....and now i really want to make a vanille shrine...or a yeul shrine.
Tara
Freelance Staffer

Post by Tara »

This is amazing, Larissa! Your designs are always so eye-catching. *__* I love how vibrant everything is and how easy it is to read.

I can't believe how much you've gotten done already, though! Seeing as how I'm replaying Final Fantasy XIII this site is going to be incredibly handy. I can't wait to see what you'll write next!! The Checklist and Trophies/Achievements pages are especially helpful. Bless you for that checklist.
I used to practice smiling when i'm feeling sad, y'know.
Aku

Post by Aku »

I know from Twitter that you've been slaving away at this, so congrats on getting all this up! It looks beautiful and there's already A LOT here... seriously, how do you guys do this?! Can I borrow some of your motivation/time control skillz?! :sob:

I'm looking forward to see what else you bring to it! I've never played FFXIII or any of its successors and probably won't, but your essay that kinda came to the defense of the game was a great read for me as someone who kinda lost interest in FF after being underwhelmed with FFXII. (Nothing against any of the new games, I guess I'm just not gripped by them. XD) I think it provides an interesting read for a gamer in general, or someone who's not acquainted with the content of the game. It isn't the kind of article I expect to see on a shrine, so kudos to you! :)

I also like the way you've kind of separated the informative/analytical sections of the shrine. I think it will really cater to a number of audiences who may visit it!
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

@Eimii: Thank you! :heart: I'd love to see a site for either of those, but especially Yeul -- she's such an interesting character. :content:

@Tara: True story: I half made that page for me because I don't have the achievement yet. This is the sad story of my life. Seriously though, I figured if I could make something useful for myself, it'd be useful for other people, too, so! :content: It all works. Thank you!

@Aku: I totally get what you mean - like I said above, the FF games are all different from each other (which is good! they'd be boring if they were all the same) and that means some of them aren't for everyone. There's a lot of stuff I want to analyze, and I'm looking forward to doing it; I just need to get my energy back first, haha. I kind of pounded all of this content out in a very short period of time... :swt: But seriously, thank you! My aim was to make it accessible to fans and non-fans alike, and if I succeeded in that, then I'm happy.
tonight fate is the
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

Great job, Larissa! :star: I really like the layout and how the header changes. The information was well-written and I can't wait for more of your essays and opinions about the other games as well! :D I don't really like trilogy, but I still like reading about it, if that makes sense... haha. XD
LadyDB

Post by LadyDB »

This was so incredible, I loaded the page and my jaw dropped. First of all, your layout is so stunning. The colors are just beautifully picked. I read the articles, not because I know anything about the game which I don't, but because it was so goddamn pretty. Furthermore, your attention to detail is crazy! You have such a knack for this. this website is I think an incredible success. It's beautiful. If I ever need any information or to clear up anything involving this game or its characters, I know where to go.
~ Lady DinoBug
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

This is awesome in every way. It has so much of everything and all top quality. Love the changing layout. This is really an amazing project.