Activity Suggestion

Amassment-sponsored challenges, marathons and activities past and present. Join in on the fun today!
Larissa
Time Traveler

Re: Activity Suggestion

Post by Larissa »

Bilingual sites? Bam, done, have some awful google translate.

No, but seriously, I'm not sure how that would work as a marathon? We seem to have a fair number of multilingual people here, but I'm not sure what would make multilingual sites compelling given that everything at Amassment is conducted in English and most fansite visitors understand it. Not really sure I get the reasoning for that one. (Not saying it shouldn't be done, just that I'm not sure I see it as compelling, is all! Hopefully that comes across.)
tonight fate is the
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

Bilingual sites would definitely be a challenge (I could even try making it trilingual, lol)... but personally, I probably wouldn't do it, unless it's a one-page shrine or something. I hate translating things with the burning passion of a thousand suns, haha. Also, I would be so picky about it (with Italian expressions that don't exist in English and vice versa), I think it would take away the fun... at least for me. That's just who I am though, haha.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

I'm not quite sure how it would work myself. I threw it out there because, as a French-speaking Quebecois, I feel my language is not represented enough online and especially in my hobbies. A challenge/marathon to make shrines in another language, even just a one pager, would be a good incentive for me at least to step out of the English-dominated web, so to speak.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Larissa wrote:Bilingual sites? Bam, done, have some awful google translate.

No, but seriously, I'm not sure how that would work as a marathon? We seem to have a fair number of multilingual people here, but I'm not sure what would make multilingual sites compelling given that everything at Amassment is conducted in English and most fansite visitors understand it. Not really sure I get the reasoning for that one. (Not saying it shouldn't be done, just that I'm not sure I see it as compelling, is all! Hopefully that comes across.)
I have the same worry, but I'm thinking that such a marathon would be a good opportunity to make sites for fandoms that are more popular in one country than another. To make an example: Mahoujin Guru Guru is extremely popular here in Italy but it barely has an English-speaking fanbase; a bilingual fansite for that would cover both bases.
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

Gotcha, that makes sense! Thanks to both of you for more fully explaining the idea, I definitely get it more now :heart: That'd be interesting to see. I've hit my bilingual quota for pretty much ever but if that idea ever happens I'd be interested to see what people make for it. :yay:
tonight fate is the
Todd

Post by Todd »

Sarah wrote:I always enjoy the banner trade! And when I did the scavenger hunt, it was a lot of fun. :)
You guys will be happy to know that the Banner Trade is already being planned for this year!
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Todd wrote:You guys will be happy to know that the Banner Trade is already being planned for this year!
Yay! *excited*
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
neo

Post by neo »

This may have been done (I haven't been in this community as long as others), but have we done a villain-centric theme?
VICTORY WITH EVERYTHING WE HAVE
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

neo wrote:This may have been done (I haven't been in this community as long as others), but have we done a villain-centric theme?
Yup! I ran that one years ago.
tonight fate is the
Todd

Post by Todd »

Larissa wrote:
neo wrote:This may have been done (I haven't been in this community as long as others), but have we done a villain-centric theme?
Yup! I ran that one years ago.
You guys are going to be excited about the next challenge. /lips sealed