Video Games You want to Play but Can’t

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
SnowRayjah

Video Games You want to Play but Can’t

Post by SnowRayjah »

So, I’ve been thinking about games that I really want to play since I’ll be coming up on a long break. And I was thinking about a list of games and how I know I *should* play them but I just can’t bring myself to do it for various reasons. I’ll bore you with the details because I’m loving like that! Some of them are motion sickness issues; others are that I can’t come to terms with the games my Uncle wanted me to play.

1. Mass Effect Series
I really do want to give these a try, but I cannot find a way to do it without being nauseous. Watching is like asking to vomit, so I’m hesitant to actually try playing it. Motion sickness has been less bad since I got long distance glasses, but I still experience it.

2. Resident Evil
My uncle was so assured in my ability to play games that he thought I could play through this with just the knife at the beginning. After he passed away, I had/have no desire to test it out. I’m also not very fond of zombie-esque games. I don’t even know the proper way to describe the series, that’s how out of touch I am with it.

3. The World Ends with You
This was the very last game my uncle tried to get me to play before he passed away. He texted me about 50 million times about some quest where he had to catch a pig and how it was making him mad. I told him to take a break and he just laughed and said that wasn’t any fun. Then he started on his long lecture aout how I needed to play it so I get get him “unstuck”. I got it for Christmas that year, he passed away the following May. And I just can’t bring myself to pick it up.

4. Disgaea
I know a lot of people love this series and I just can’t get into it. I’m not fond of the characters or the art. I’m not overly big on the music either. I just can’t do it.

5. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
I never could get into this game. I always always tried, found it way too easy and would DOZE off playing it. Maybe I missed something important but I never could get more than an hour into the game.

So, now that I’ve shown how lame and depressing I am, what are some games that you guys can’t play for whatever reason?
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Re: Video Games You want to Play but Can’t

Post by nyxmidnight »

1. All the horror games. I am a huge fan of the stories of Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, etc but I am A GIGANTIC WUSS OF COSMIC PROPORTIONS and I just. Cannot. Play. These games. I watch LPs or I just suffer in silence ;;

2. Psychonauts. I cannot grasp the freaking controls and I am terrible at platformers, no matter how fun the premise sounded.

3. The Devil Survivor series of SMT. I cannot grok Strategy RPGs. It's like I have a mental block. I don't get it. I can't get it. The only exception to SRPGs being unplayable to me is Fire Emblem: Awakening.

4. Shadow of the Colossus. What a huge letdown that game was. Beautiful everything, completely unresponsive controls. Impossible to play.

You may now take away my gamer card.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

Can't play horror games. Not my genre, no thanks. I'd rather spend my time in a genre I like than forcing my way through one I don't.

Motion sickness is a huge problem for me in certain games. I really wanted to play Mirror's Edge but got too sick to play it immediately. Same happened with Half Life and Left 4 Dead. Valve games in general are impossible for me; I don't know what it is they do with their camera, but I can't play them. I had to take breaks playing the original Portal, even with how short it is.
tonight fate is the
Aku

Post by Aku »

The only game I can reaaaally think of is Eternal Darkness. I'm not afraid of horror games and I also don't get motion sickness when playing, but for some reason this game gave me pretty bad motion sickness when I played it. o_O I think some of the "sanity effects" the game had (character shrinking/turning the room upside down, etc) made me nauseous. I'd really like to try replaying it again though, it was fun until the effects got to be too much! Maybe on a different TV it'd be better, haha.

If we talk about games I'd like to play but can't because I don't have TIME, I have a long list for you. XD
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

Another one who can't play horror games here. I'd like to, but they stress me out. My friends find it entertaining to watch me play. :|

And Mirror's Edge. I just couldn't get a grasp on it at all, and I really wanted to play it.

My mother was watching me play Portal once, she told me that it sets off her vertigo.

Mostly I just can't play games due to lack of time/money (so I buy most games preowned or in Steam sales).
a spoony bard
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

It kind of makes me happy that I'm not the only one you can't handle the horror genre. *hugs*

Fatal Frame series. I would love to play it but it scares me so bad. I'm even terrified of kimono boxes now. I just can't do horror. And the concept behind Fatal Frame is interesting. I can kinda watch someone play but for the "boss" fights, I'm out.
;o; *** pew! pew!
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Do video games I played when I was a kid count? I've been really wanting to play SimFarm again but I can't because it's a super old computer game that doesn't run on anything but DOS.

I can't really think of much else. I'm pretty strict in what I will and will not play. I dunno, maybe more Tales of games? I don't like owning anything other than Nintendo consoles so I don't get much chance to really play anything else.

I've also been wanting to play Pokemon Puzzle League again. Despite how lame that game was I absolutely loved it. Now if only I knew where it ended up.

Okay I guess that was more than I thought.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Aku

Post by Aku »

Crystal wrote:Do video games I played when I was a kid count? I've been really wanting to play SimFarm again but I can't because it's a super old computer game that doesn't run on anything but DOS.
YES~! I can relate. I miss my Roller Coaster Tycoon days... XD The version I have only runs on like, really old versions of Windows? I know there are new versions of the game but I've never tried any of them cuz I'm afraid they won't be as fun as the old--anyone know? :)
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

Crystal wrote:Do video games I played when I was a kid count? I've been really wanting to play SimFarm again but I can't because it's a super old computer game that doesn't run on anything but DOS.

I can't really think of much else. I'm pretty strict in what I will and will not play. I dunno, maybe more Tales of games? I don't like owning anything other than Nintendo consoles so I don't get much chance to really play anything else.

I've also been wanting to play Pokemon Puzzle League again. Despite how lame that game was I absolutely loved it. Now if only I knew where it ended up.

Okay I guess that was more than I thought.
POKEMON PUZZLE LEAGUE IS THE BEST. I was a huge fan of Pokemon Puzzle Challenge, the Gameboy Color version, and it's so awesome. Puzzle League is actually on the Wii Shop, if you have a Wii!

You might be able to find SimFarm online somewhere -- there are sites that host DOS games these days. I played the specific version of Oregon Trail I had as a kid that way a while back.
tonight fate is the
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

@Snow: I'm so sorry you can't play The World Ends With You. :( I understand it must be really hard to play it because of what happened to your uncle. *hugs*

I'm another one who can't play horror games. Just like Larissa said, I'd rather spend time on games that I actually like and want to play, rather than force myself to play games that I know I can't play.

I also can't play first person shooter games. I just hate them with the burning passion of a thousand suns, haha. Not really my genre and I find them pretty boring to watch too (I watch when my boyfriend plays them sometimes. One of his friends is freaking obsessed with those games and whenever he comes around, he brings something like Call of Duty and wants to play it. I think he comes around just to play CoD with someone tbh. /rant over). I don't mind games where there's also shooting (I played and liked Red Dead Redemption and L.A. Noire), but games with just shooting, where all you do is shoot all the time? Thanks, but no thanks.

Also, I just can't get into Grand Theft Auto. I never played them, but my boyfriend likes them. I just don't see the attraction. I tried to play Reservoir Dogs, which imo was better and I think I liked it, but I never finished it.

I also played Mirror's Edge, but I couldn't quite get into it. I didn't suffer from motion sickness, but the game was painfully infuriating at points and, since I don't play games to frustrate myself, I just quit it. I couldn't get into the story anyway.