Final Fantasy XIV

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
Aku

Final Fantasy XIV

Post by Aku »

The beta just ended and the game will be up and running soon... I know there are a lot of FF fans here as well as MMO fans, is anyone going to be trying it?

To be honest, I wasn't planning on jumping the bandwagon, but my friend came over yesterday and showed me the character creation screen and now I'm kind of thinking about it. :swt: The characters are soooo cute!! ): I'm having a hard time validating paying a monthly fee though, as I've never paid a subscription to a video game, haha.

What have you guys heard about it, and if I do play, will I be able to hang out with any Amassment folk there? ;D
Cherri

Re: Final Fantasy XIV

Post by Cherri »

I'm not sure I want to play it as I'm not really into mmo. I do like final fantasy though. And money is a main issue. I haven't heard much about it other than the TV commercial and the trailer on Tomb Raider. I did read the Lightning and Snow's costumes are availed to the characters and the Lightning has a side quest in the game. Other than that I don't know much. So I'm slightly interested but I'll keep you updated it I do get it. I would love to play games with the Amassment folk.
;o; *** pew! pew!
Aku

Post by Aku »

Cherri wrote:I'm not sure I want to play it as I'm not really into mmo. I do like final fantasy though. And money is a main issue.
I don't blame you! I didn't realize that the subscription fee is quite expensive, too. I gave in figuring I could at least try it for a month & see how I like it (buying it is not anymore expensive than a normal game, anyway). MMOs are really time consuming, to be honest this will only be the second MMO I've tried out since Guild Wars 2! I think it helps to have a lot of friends who are on the bandwagon.

Early Access opens tomorrow, so I'd be happy to report back here & let you guys know what I think, for anyone who is wavering! :yay:
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

Thank you Aku. I would like that very much.

I played World of Warcraft with my parents, bought them the latest expansion and for Christmas they got it for me. Then decided "We are done with WoW." So I have some reservations about buying a whole new MMO and fear of people getting bored. So I would like people to play with. I don't have a lot of experience in mmos either.

I wouln't mind a demo/free trail period. But I don't wanna buy a game I can't end up affording. Why money?

Good luck Aku!
;o; *** pew! pew!
Varen

Post by Varen »

All my friends have been been playing 14, and they have early access, which was pretty disastrous with the server issues. A friend couldn't login in days, another kept getting d/c and can't even go on queue. Though it seems to have fixed now.

I tried a demo before, it was already, but I got kinda bored quickly once I finished the first story event. I still might try it in the future if I can ever afford it haha.
Iris-NoireORG
wasting internet space until i get motivation again
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

Oh that's rough. That is a downside to mmo though. The dread server problems. Depends on what Aku says and money if I get it.
;o; *** pew! pew!
Aku

Post by Aku »

Varen wrote:All my friends have been been playing 14, and they have early access, which was pretty disastrous with the server issues. A friend couldn't login in days, another kept getting d/c and can't even go on queue. Though it seems to have fixed now.
Late reply... been caught up with FFXIV! Varen is not incorrect though, preorder got "Early Access", but it was more like "Early No Access" because SE has been having problems with the capacity of users just trying to login to the servers. They have been working to fix it this week and it's gotten better (I can usually login after a few attempts, as opposed to the first 4-5 days where I couldn't get in at all), but it's still pretty difficult at peak hours (in the evening, right when everyone gets off school/work). :swt: I have confidence they will have it sorted out in the next week or two, so if you are planning on buying it it might be worth it to wait a bit so you can actually create a character and login without much trouble. :sob:

The game is really fun so far, though! As with all MMOs, I think it is a lot more fun if you have friends playing the game. I don't know if I would stay interested were my friends not partying with me & learning the ropes with me. I went into my first dungeon last night and had a blast trying to keep everyone alive as a Conjurer! :heh: The environment, atmosphere music & characters are all gorgeous though, as expected of Final Fantasy! I think FF fans would enjoy experiencing the franchise in a different way. My boyfriend totally flipped out when he realized he could have a Chocobo mount, LOL.

Been keeping logs on my gaming tumblr, VS Game, but here are some shots of me & my friends!
Image Image Image Image
Varen

Post by Varen »

Sadly the server issues are still pretty bad it seems. A friend of mines wanted to join Gilgamesh server (where our team is playing) but it was so packed that they had to temporarily lock down creation altogether for the time being.

But I agree, no matter how average or awesome a game could be, it's way better with friends! I wish I can play together with my team right now ;~;
Iris-NoireORG
wasting internet space until i get motivation again
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

Ah! It looks so great! Thanks for posting pics. Ah so cute! I wanna play too! The cuteness! But of course I'm super broke because being an adult sucks. I'll have to wait for awhile before I can play. ;.; MMO are the best with friends, nothing like going on fights and getting killed together. <3

If I ever manage to pick it up, I'll let you know. ^-^
;o; *** pew! pew!
Aku

Post by Aku »

@Varen: Yeah, for sure the issues are not 100% solved. The character creation being shut down is definitely a pain, one of my friends has been waiting to get in to Behemoth but it's not doable right now. Hoping that when they DO get things sorted, the ability to transfer worlds will be free since all this has made it pretty much impossible for groups of friends to get on the same server.

@Cherri: I know what you mean--not sure I'll want to keep paying such a hefty subscription fee if I don't have a job anytime soon. D: The way things are though it might be better off if you can't start right away, let all this overpopulation & server issues blow over first haha. I'd love to play with you if you do play one day! ^^