new platforms + backwards compatibility

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
earthy

new platforms + backwards compatibility

Post by earthy »

Since this came up elsewhere, I thought I'd try giving it its own thread in case there are further thoughts/suggestions....

So what's up with newer consoles not being backwards compatible? Is it just a money-making thing? Or is there some more legit reason why I couldn't play PS1 or PS2 games on a PS3, or why I'd have to re-buy PSP games if I wanted to play them on the PS Vita? Is it worth it to buy these new platforms AND the compatible versions of the games, or is the idea that you'll hold onto the older platforms and still get the newer ones as well?

Somewhat tangential, but related: Have you had better luck trading in games/consoles at physical stores, or is it generally accepted that online sales/purchases at places like eBay do better? (Maybe we can get Todd to give us his professional opinion? ^.~)
Mikari

Re: new platforms + backwards compatibility

Post by Mikari »

There didn't used to be backwards compatibility originally, but there used to be ports and re-releases. I would assume that someone who wants to play the old games would simply keep the old consoles. If there's a new one, then the old ones won't sell for much anyway. I don't really sell often, but given how cheap stores buy, I would think ebay is better. I think the digital content is backwards compatible anyway so at least you'd have that. I prefer handhelds and disks are harder to find so I've been relying on the psn for psp games. I'm pretty sure they would work with the vita too whenever I run out of games to play on the psp... which won't be any time soon, so I won't be switching yet.
Todd

Post by Todd »

The real reason is cost. It would cost too much in developmental costs to make a system backwards compatible, which in turn would raise the price of the system, eliminating potential buyers. There is a lot these system makers would like to do, but they have to find ways to do them cheaply, or consumers would be paying $500+ for systems, which is ridiculous.

XBOX One? No thanks.
anon

Post by anon »

Todd wrote:The real reason is cost. It would cost too much in developmental costs to make a system backwards compatible, which in turn would raise the price of the system, eliminating potential buyers.
^^^^ Precisely this reason.

It would be ideal to have backwards compatibility for consoles but it costs too much for it to be included. Like Todd said, consoles would be more expensive to have built-in backwards compatibility so it's cheaper to have older releases launched via virtual console.