Otome Games

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
SnowRayjah

Re: Otome Games

Post by SnowRayjah »

XD Oh man, I'll have to be careful of that. Time has not been on my side lately.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

HAHA YES!!! I am not such a huge fan of Setsuna. The death threats kind of scare me...Hinata is so cute it gives me cavities. XD
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I've made a serious life decision: I am going to develop Otome games.
I'm going to start working on them after I finish my two on-going art projects. I already started a google doc with ideas and stuff.

My goal is to have a studio that creates fun and free Otome games so I want to also get them developed for smart phones. Generally because I am playing these other ones I downloaded and the game stops and you have to pay money to unlock more stuff. :|

I know there are a couple people around the comm that develop VN. I found some links to some programs that help in creation. Does anyone know of any they could recommend?
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Unfortunately, I have no recommendations. I DO have OVER ENTHUSIASTIC SUPPORT! I love this idea, dear and I'm hoping ti is very rewarding for you. (even though I'm a million years late on wishing you good vibes and stuff!)

Although, off the top of my head, Mikari might be someone to ask and maybe Kibumie too. I'm not sure what Cherri would know, but she has some knowledge in some game designing stuff.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

@Destinie: I have no knowledge in the making of otomes except for the fact that it's awesome. XD But I guess you already knew that. :P It would be amazing if you made an otome! *.* *cheers for you*

In theory, I know how to make mini games and that includes the otome variety. They're not usually too complicated, you have graphics, you have a plot, options and a sort of behind the scenes scoring system that runs the plot like a "choose your own adventure" type of story.

The theory is not difficult and I could do it in java script, but that would limit it to a browser game and make it unfriendly towards certain browsers/phones, plus there's the issue of deleting the cookie meaning deleting the progress. Unfortunately, I know basically nothing about C++ D:
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

Destinie wrote:I've made a serious life decision: I am going to develop Otome games.
I'm going to start working on them after I finish my two on-going art projects. I already started a google doc with ideas and stuff.

My goal is to have a studio that creates fun and free Otome games so I want to also get them developed for smart phones. Generally because I am playing these other ones I downloaded and the game stops and you have to pay money to unlock more stuff. :|

I know there are a couple people around the comm that develop VN. I found some links to some programs that help in creation. Does anyone know of any they could recommend?
I would LOVE to help out with you here. I'm planning two otome games, one collab with a friend and another by myself. What I can help with you though is interface since I love doing interfaces for games/apps, thanks to tasting it for the first time two years ago in Interface Design class.

You can choose to go the browser/mobile route with choicescript http://www.choiceofgames.com/make-your- ... ipt-intro/
or, if you want to go visual like the visual novels with pretty graphics and what not
You can use http://www.renpy.org/ which is free for non-commercial AND commercial. I can't remember or not if it can do mobile so be sure to check out the site.

I'm going to be doing Choicescript first with two of mine to get the whole game idea going, which may take a billion years since Otome games, while small, cost a lot (depending on how many sprites/CGs/etc).

I'm also part of a community http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/ that has been around since 2003 that makes/shares visual novels. There is also a marketplace section AND a freebies section to commission or just use free images to use in Ren'Py.

-huge otome/visual fan- |D

Edit: Annnd just realized the dates lol. Oh well, for whoever is curious about this magical world of feels and woes, hope that helps~
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Popping in to say: THANKS CAMY. This is super helpful. I did come across Ren'py and was planning to use it when I was going to get started. I still have a lot of pre-work to do. :S I'll give those comms a look in the near future!
Kibumie

Post by Kibumie »

Good luck Destinie! I can't wait to play your current and future otoge *A*)/ I like otome games too hehe.

Wow Camy, that's so informative!
aminuet .。. king
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I have to finish all my other projects and then I can start on it for real.

On a side note: I really wish I could get a port or something of Kamigami no Asobi because I'm in love with it. ;_;
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

You know, Destinie, I have Kamigami no Asobi sitting in my queue. But looking through art and everything, I'm like "I wish this was translated!!" Because I totally want to play it so bad. >_<; (Love the icon change, btw).