Otome Games

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
Destinie

Re: Otome Games

Post by Destinie »

Thanks! I really want to play it, too. I wish more Otome games were localized. :(
I did find a tumblr of someone who played through the game and posted her translations.
Nomi

Post by Nomi »

Destinie, I just want to say love your icon! I played Kamigami no Asobi and it was fun, I really hope it gets localised since I think it would do well in the west. (that theme + art, story's not bad too and there's this really cute minigame with it that can get a little addictive to play aaa)
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Oh, thanks Nomi! I have only seen the anime and I am kind of dying to play the game. The art is gorgeous. (My husband got me a wall scroll of Thoth for our wedding anniversary. Haha~)

I am curious about the minigame. What is it??
Nomi

Post by Nomi »

That's really sweet of him ;_;! I really should continue this game aha Loki's route actually left me wanting more of Thor and I felt a bit disappointed at the lack of a Thor route... The art is really gorgeous though, both promo art and CGs!

Basically the game's main stories is separated into chapters, and at the end of each chapter you get a mythology mini quiz! If you get 5/5 answers correct (you have 10-15 seconds per question) you'll get accessories for your 'box garden' related to the god you're going for! You can then decorate your box garden to your tastes with these accessories and have one of the gods there. I get so easily distracted by such a side-game so I could spend ages on the garden instead of the actual game, oops...
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

OMG THAT SOUNDS GREAT ;O; what a fun minigame! AHHH I want this game nowwww
Nomi

Post by Nomi »

Yesss it is! Sobs it's sort of a shame that that I'm sort of unsure about Broccoli's stance regarding translating their games into English since iirc they have no plans for it so far, even for the super popular Utapri... Also they just denounced people who use any of their materials online, including people who wants to make patches recently-ish which might put off potential translators ;; It's such a shame cause their games are the type that'd really hit it off out of Japan

Meanwhile some of the choices for localised games actually kinda baffle me... I mean any is good but they feel a bit... random?!

Sorry for randomly blabbering on about this aaaa
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

No no, this is great! Loving the conversation. :) I don't know anything behind the reasoning on what games they decide to bring over. I always thought it was based on popularity in Japan. But, at least in the USA, there's still a huge gender bias in video games. Even though about 50% of gamers are female there are still systems that really only focus on the male 18-24 market.

I love how in Japan games like Utapri are so huge that you see images of the boys posted around on buildings and such. You would never see that here. Even if they could translate the games and make them available for download online that would be great. I'd pay to play! :(
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

They have to hire a team to localize in English, which requires a lot of time and money. Plus, that comes with a risk if it doesn't sell enough over here in the USA to cover what they used when acquiring staff members. It's a lot of work and I don't blame them for being hesitant.
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
Nomi

Post by Nomi »

Yeah, I get that with the western market seemingly more male heavy, bringing a female-aimed visual novel might be a huge risk to take aha. On top of it, a lot of otome games are on the PSP, which is well, not exactly super successful out of Japan.

More than that though, I'm just a bit baffled at their choice of games to bring to western markets (Hakuouki aside). For example they localised Bakudan Handan/Sweet Fuse, which is an okay game but didn't have a huge following at all in Japan (I'm guessing it's cause of the illustrator is the same as Phoenix Wright's, but).

It seems like Voltage games are gaining popularity though, so maybe the successes of those can encourage them to bring other games over!
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I enjoyed Hakuoki and Sweet Fuse. I like the Hakuoki guys best (Saito <3) but I found Sweet Fuse easier to get into because it had more gameplay elements, riddles and more frequent choices. (Shidou <3) I also played the Hakuoki fighting game, nothing wow, but I enjoyed it because I like the characters. I wouldn't mind playing another game like Sweet Fuse too. I haven't been playing much recently, unless you count the Animal Boyfriend app. *checks on him* My cat boy is napping. XD