What games did you finish this year?

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
Mikari

Re: What games did you finish this year?

Post by Mikari »

I have a more detailed blog entry about this at word press

Vita:
Hatsune Miku Project Diva X
Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky SC
Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel 1
Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel 2
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

Steam:
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Tales of Zesteria
Ys: Origin
Ys: Ark of Napishtim
Final Fantasy XII: Lightning Returns
Tales of Symphonia

NN3DS:
Pokemon Moon
Hatsune Miku Project Mirai DX
Pokemon X
Pokemon White 1
Pokemon Black 2

iOS:
Pokemon Go
Mario Run
Pokemon Shuffle
Tales of Link
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I don't think I finished any...What do you consider to be "finished" these days? I find that games aren't as straight forward as I remember them and there's an overwhelming amount of post-game content. Do you consider it done when you beat the main storyline? (That's what I consider finished, for me.) But then there are games where you don't have a storyline and I guess finished would be when you've collected/unlocked everything?
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

For me to call a game finished is generally killing the final boss.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

What is this mythical "finish a game" you speak of?

I guess I finished the Conquest part of Fire Emblem Fates.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Saya

Post by Saya »

Uhm i dont think i finished any too cose I keep being sidetracked by the side stuff so i normaly forget to finish the main story LOL
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I considered it finished when you get through the main story, the side quests and post game are extras. If I counted those I would hardly ever "finish" anything. XD I thought I would finish Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth before the end of the year when I posted before, but I actually finished it on 2017. Destiny Warriors was the first I started on 2017.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I keep track of my games at Backloggery, though a few years ago, I started keeping an additional overview at Listography because Backloggery's log doesn't list exactly the things that I'd like to include in an annual overview (including replays).

To c/p my list from 2016 (most recently played game first):
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (replay; final case)
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice
  • OZMAFIA!! (only a few routes)
  • fault - milestone two side:above
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (replay)
  • The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (replay)
  • Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
  • Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
  • Zero Time Dilemma
  • Norn9: Var Commons
  • Steins;Gate
  • Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
  • Stella Glow (stuck at final boss tbh)
  • Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~
  • The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
  • Trine 3
And a bunch of original English indie VNs, especially as I was checking out a batch of them after a game jam (many of these are non-commercial and super short):
  • Embers of Magic
  • Solstice (haven't unlocked everything)
  • We Know the Devil
  • Break Chance Memento
  • Her Tears Were My Light
  • Wander No More
  • Syrup and the Ultimate Sweet
  • Starlit Flowers
  • Helena's Flowers
  • One Night Stand
  • misSHAPEn love!
  • Locked Heart
  • The Royal Trap: The Confines of the Crown
  • Brilliant Shadows
I notice my 2016 was heavy in visual novels in general, partly because visual novels and otome games are a major reason I finally bought myself a PS Vita.

Some games I spent a lot of time on that are missing from that list are: Pokémon Moon (still playing), Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright and Valkyria Chronicles (dropped). (@high seraph: dubiousdisc and I bond over our raging at Valkyria Chronicles. I agree with everything she has said, though my words for it would be less kind. 8D But yes, it's worth checking out just to see what it does, and to see its gorgeous aesthetics in action.)

My favourites were Trails of Cold Steel (which has its flaws and may not even be among my favourite games, but cemented the Trails/Kiseki series as my favourite JRPG series), Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (after having been curious about it for years and not being able to play it due to the original's difficulty), and Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~ (my favourite otoge by a long shot). Indie visual novels that were big surprises to me and are among my favourites now are The Royal Trap: The Confines of the Crown and Brilliant Shadows (backed the sequel on Kickstarter, can't wait!).

Other highlights for me (not necessarily among my fav games though) were Zero Time Dilemma (AT LONG LAST ;_;), AA: Spirit of Justice and Pokémon Moon because I was playing each of those at the same time as my friends did - especially people here at Amassment. It made the experience so enjoyable and the games so memorable to me. :heart:

Popcorning to Megan's playthrough of both Danganronpas and Larissa's playthrough of the Zero Escape series was highly entertaining as well. :eyes: :heart: All the Danganronpa, Steins;Gate, Ace Attorney and Zero Time Dilemma made the year quite intense. LOL

Disappointments of the year... OZMAFIA!! and Valkyria Chronicles. I think disappointments hit me especially hard if I've been wanting to try out a game for a long long time. Norn9: Var Commons sucked too, but at least I didn't go in there with high expectations.

Re: "finishing a game" as an expression: I mostly go by Backloggery status, so... for a JRPG, it's beating the final boss, for some VNs, it's finishing a route... I mark "completed" games in terms of extras (sidequests, post-game content, collectibles, etc.) differently.
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.