What games did you finish this year?

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
high seraph

What games did you finish this year?

Post by high seraph »

So, I've been keeping track of the video games I've finished every year since 2014-ish and I like challenging myself to keep breaking my previous record because, I mean, why not? Idk if a lot of people do that, but I figured it might be fun if we shared what games we finished in 2016!!! Maybe we can also comment on which of them were our favorites and which we didn't like too much, idk I haven't really given much thought to what this thread should be about tbh :swt2:

Anyway, I'm gonna go ahead and proudly state that I've finished 19 games in 2016, which is is almost double the number of games I finished in 2015!!! Yay for productivity...? Here's my list of games, in the order in which I finished them:
  • The Mirror Lied (PC)
  • Braid (PC)
  • Shovel Knight (PC)
  • No, Thank You!!! (PC)
  • Lisa: The Painful RPG (PC)
  • Flower (PS3)
  • Her Story (PC)
  • Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair! (PC)
  • Final Fantasy X HD (PS3)
  • Lisa: The Joyful (PC)
  • Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright (3DS)
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
  • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest (SNES)
  • Grim Fandango (PC)
  • The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (PSP)
  • Thomas Was Alone (PC)
  • FEZ (PC)
  • Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (3DS)
  • Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (PS2)
... Now, I know adding games like Her Story, Flower, Thomas Was Alone or The Mirror Lied is kind of cheating because these are extremely short games, but whatever. What I find funny about making a list like this is that it's a really fun way to look back into what happened in 2016. I started playing Braid in January, and I loved it so much that I wanted to try playing more platformers, which is why I picked up Shovel Knight shortly after finishing it. And after spending a considerable portion of the year working on heavy RPG titles like Final Fantasy X, I started feeling like "oh man, remember Shovel Knight? Remember Braid?!?!? Where can I find another game like that?", which made me find FEZ.

Reading Destinie's Through Realms tribute made me reconsider my feelings towards The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, a game that I played as a kid and dropped out of sheer stupidity naïveté. I ended up really enjoying it and look forward to playing other Zelda games sometime soon. And then, playing on the SNES made me feel nostalgic enough to finish another game I dropped in my young years, Donkey Kong 2, and I'm still currently playing other SNES classics. :heh: Idk I find it really interesting that we might also end up influencing each other in this way!!! Thanks a lot for motivating me to play TLoZ:aLttP, Destinie!!! (that's probably not an appropriate acronym but I'm not deep enough into this fandom yet ok sorry)

I said we might also discuss what were our favorite games but I honestly couldn't pick just one off my own list. Trails in the Sky was a fantastic experience, and Danganronpa 2 was probably the most entertaining, while Final Fantasy X earns prize for being the most emotional AND the most infuriating RPG I've played this year, and I finally managed to finish Nocturne just this week!!! It's been a good year, at least as far as games are concerned lmao.

Anyway I need to stop talking. I hope you guys will also share your lists of games finished in 2k16!
          • ♕ ♔ nightly dance of bleeding
            swords remind me that i still live.
Crystal

Re: What games did you finish this year?

Post by Crystal »

Oh gosh. Can I remember?

Stella Glow
Fire Emblem Fates (Birthright and Conquest only)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (for the bazillionth time)
Final Fantasy XIV (finished A Realm Reborn and Heavensward main story quests)
Rune Factory 4
Hyrule Warriors Legends (Legend Mode was it?)
Pokemon Sun

Uhhh, I think that's everything? I've been mostly playing games that don't have an ending plus trying to remember over the course of a year is really difficult. I'm sure I've missed a game or two or three.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Hee hee, I keep a list of games I've finished too because I forget everything all the time XD

This year:
  • Dead Space (replay)
  • Dead Space: Extraction (replay)
  • Dead Space 2 (replay)
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Fire Emblem 6 (now with true ending)
  • Samorost
  • Samorost 2
  • Machinarium (replay)
  • Space Channel 5 part 2 (replay)
  • Clock Tower
  • Opera Fatal (replay, it's a super obscure game from my childhood)
  • The House of the Dead
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn
  • BlazBlue (replay)
  • Day of the Tentacle (the remastered one, so replay as well)
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (replay for the 30th time or something absurd like that)
  • Pokemon Snap (replay)
  • Baten Kaitos
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (replay)
  • Pokemon Stadium (replay)
  • Kirby Canvas Curse (replay)
  • Kirby Super Star Ultra (replay)
  • Professor Layton and the Curious Village
  • Mario Kart 7
  • Psychonauts
...25, apparently. Wow that's way more than I thought.

To be fair I only drop games when I see no value whatsoever to continue, which is rare, and most of these are replays of games that I'd already finished once or more than once (eyes at Oblivion, shakes head), so I knew they where worth it.

So, my few comments concerning the ones that I hadn't already finished:

Valkyria Chronicles is one of the biggest disappointments in games I've ever had. Back when, I got the PS3 with playing that game in mind, then I had a falling out with the person who owned the copy of the game that I was playing so I never finished it. I was excited to get it for myself and see how it ended, because the beginning felt like things were getting set up and going somewhere. Turns out they didn't, and the story feels like the original writer died mid-work and the game had to be finished by someone who only knew that storytelling tropes needed to be there, but had no clue as to why. I did personally enjoy the gameplay - very different from anything else I've ever played, I found it fun as a fan of strategery - but, as a whole, the game really doesn't deserve the praise it gets.

Baten Kaitos is a case of a super long game that had a lot going on and so much that could have been improved, but I did enjoy it, and I did get out of it with the characters having made an impression on me. Maybe I'll make a shrine to Lyude?

Out of this list, the game that I hadn't previously played that I'll call my favorite of this batch is Psychonauts. Fun writing, very brilliant gameplay concepts, subplots concerning things that you rarely see in games (for example, a surprisingly touching portrayal of bipolar disorder). I got out of it with favorite characters and a lot to say. If you do 3D platformers, I absolutely recommend it.

I don't know whether I should feel cool for having finished so many games or like a total loser gashdjkad
high seraph

Post by high seraph »

@Crystal hahaha it's ok if you can't remember them!!! I'm kind of obsessive about listing games, anime and TV shows I've come across :swt:

@dubiousdic wowie, 25 games!!! I think that's really cool!!!

I'm also surprised to see Clock Tower on your list -- I've had an on-again-off-again kind of relationship with it since I was a teenager, and I've never considered to have "beaten" it because I only reached some of the easier endings. Maybe I should give it another go, the game is actually pretty cool, and I've played all the other entries in the series as well. :swt2:

Regarding Valkyria Chronicles, I've heard soo many different opinions on it. I was drawn into it by its visuals and overall concept, and some people have a lot of praise for the game. But I've also seen some negative comments, and seeing you describe it as your biggest disappointment in gaming is somewhat discouraging hahahaha. I might still check it out at some point though.
          • ♕ ♔ nightly dance of bleeding
            swords remind me that i still live.
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

I also keep a list of games I've beaten each year; I've been doing so since 2011. It's a nice way to see what I've accomplished each year, gaming-wise.
  1. Undertale [1/1] (neutral & pacifist)
  2. Gone Home [1/2]
  3. Long Live The Queen [1/3]
  4. Pokémon Alpha Sapphire (nuzlocke) [4/7]
  5. 999 [4/23]
  6. Pokémon Y (semi-nuzlocke) [4/28]
  7. Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (+dlc) [5/17]
  8. Fallout 4 DLC (Automaton & Far Harbor) [5/20]
  9. Transistor [5/27]
  10. Game of Thrones (S1) [5/29]
  11. Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright [6/7]
  12. Virtue's Last Reward [6/11]
  13. Dragon Age: Origins [6/21]
  14. Dragon Age II [6/26]
  15. Zero Time Dilemma [6/29]
  16. Chrono Trigger [7/8]
  17. Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice [9/26] (dlc a few days later)
  18. Final Fantasy XV [12/11]
I don't include replays or incomplete playthroughs on this list, so some other games I've played this year include Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (incomplete replay, I put something like 50 hours in because of course I did), Borderlands (co-op with a friend, haven't finished), Fire Emblem 6 (I think it's 6? the first GBA one... I'm on mission 15 or something), and Pokemon Sun (been playing really slowly, also I put it down when FF15 came out and only just picked it back up; will finish before the end of the year tho).

I have almost completely failed at my gaming goals for this year lmao; I had this whole list and out of that list all I managed to do was beat the first two Dragon Ages. Oh I did get maybe an hour into Ico, I should go back to that at some point.

ON THE PRO SIDE, I knocked a lot of things off the to-play list, so that was good. This year I dusted off my backloggery, got it all organized, and wrote a bunch of mini-reviews on the games I played.

All told 18 is a good number for me (and it'll be 19 by the time the year ends); that's the highest I've gotten since I started keeping track.
tonight fate is the
Anise

Post by Anise »

1. Tales of Xillia
2. Tales of Zesteria
3. Fire Emblem Fates (Conquest and Birthright, Almost Done Revelation)

I don't have time to play many games so my list is very short.
The Second Guardian Network ☆☆ Esperits.ORG
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

I have a tendency to get close to the end of games and never finish them, but I think I actually finished more games than usual this year! (PLEASE DON'T JUDGE ME FOR SOME OF THE GAMES ON THIS LIST THANKS :eyes: )
  • Bravely Default (100% completion :eyes: )
  • CAFE 0 ~The Drowned Mermaid~
  • Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
  • Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition (+DLC)
  • HuniePop
  • Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Fire Emblem Fates (all paths)
  • Life Is Strange
  • Nameless ~The one thing you must recall~
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Justice for All
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Trials and Tribulations
  • Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Dual Destinies
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Spirit of Justice
  • Star Fox Zero (co-op)
  • Tales of Zestiria
Last edited by Megan A on Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jae

Post by Jae »

Holy cow, 19 and 25 games! You guys are amazing. As for me:
  • 7th Dragon III Code:VFD
    Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD
    Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward
    Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
    Muv-Luv Extra
    Muv-Luv Unlimited
    Muv-Luv Alternative
    Utawarerumono
These days I watch games on YouTube more than anything, but it looks like I played a fair number of them, too!

My personal favorite of this bunch was 7th Dragon III, which portrayed the inherent struggles of an artificial human quite well. The music was fantastic and I loved the cast. A great end to a trilogy, though capable of being a standalone entry. I'm definitely going to work on a shrine for my favorite character from this one.

Final Fantasy X has a special place in my heart as the first PS2 game I ever picked up. Finally being able to beat it was cathartic. The story was breathtaking, definitely one of my favorite titles in the franchise.

I dropped Fire Emblem Fates in the middle of Conquest due to poor writing. Colorful characters and promising concepts, but the games seriously flopped on execution. I'll go back and finish Conquest and Revelation one of these days. I'll take support convo suggestions!

Muv-Luv's script tended to drag - to the point I almost fell asleep a few times, not to mention the tropey main cast - but it boasted incredible worldbuilding and an excellent approach to perspective. I'm going to have nightmares about nasty, gory aliens for the rest of my life. It's a trilogy of visual novels with so many hours that it could rival a lengthy JRPG. Crazy!
fayth
I come and go, but I'm around.
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

Huh, I didn't keep track of my games (deleted my backloggery), and I finished more than I expected. 16 in total, although that includes a couple of replays.
  • Professor Layton and the Curious Village
    Never Alone
    Firewatch
    Final Fantasy IX (replay)
    Cinders
    Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star
    Heavy Rain
    Beyond Two Souls
    Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
    Forget Me Not: My Organic Garden
    Final Fantasy XV
    Super Mario World (replay)
    Yoshi's Island (replay)
    Civilization V
    Stardew Valley
    Diablo III
(The last three are the kinds of games you can play forever, but I set myself my own end points and stopped when I reached them so I consider them completed.)

Worst game: Beyond Two Souls. I really enjoyed Heavy Rain, as unintentionally hilarious as it was at times, but Beyond Two Souls never got me invested in the characters or the story and for some reason the QTE gameplay bugged me so much more in this game than it did in Heavy Rain (or any such similar games). My flatmate would watch me play and we'd throw out guesses and theories for what was going to happen and we were basically correct on them all because everything in this game is a tired trope or cliche. And it thinks its far more clever than it actually is. Heavy Rain, at least, had a mystery to keep you hooked. Beyond Two Souls is disjointed and tedious and pretentious and suffers if you play it through in the suggested order. I honestly think it would be a lot better if it's played in chronological order. It might make you care about Jodie that way.

I did not mean to write that much about Beyond Two Souls. I was really, really disappointed with it. :/

...So considering I also played FFIV: The After Years this year, I'm not sure saying Beyond Two Souls was my worst game shows just how bad Beyond is or just how much I love FFIV. The After Years is UNnecessary. Just so completely unnecessary.

I loved: Stardew Valley, Firewatch, FFXV. Honestly did not expect to love FFXV as much as I did (even with its many issues). Stardew Valley is an absolute delight.

I also had a lot of fun working my way up through the difficulties in Diablo III but it gets too repetitive after a while. I might roll a seasonal hero next year.

I've started and not finished Bravely Second and Fire Emblem: Fates. I just can't get into Fates like I did with Awakening. I also need to finish Solstice, which is a visual novel by the same people who made Cinders (which I recommend!). The art is so gorgeous. Oh, and I also need to finish Pokemon Sun, which I may get around to by the end of the year.
a spoony bard
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

high seraph wrote:I'm also surprised to see Clock Tower on your list -- I've had an on-again-off-again kind of relationship with it since I was a teenager, and I've never considered to have "beaten" it because I only reached some of the easier endings. Maybe I should give it another go, the game is actually pretty cool, and I've played all the other entries in the series as well. :swt2:

Regarding Valkyria Chronicles, I've heard soo many different opinions on it. I was drawn into it by its visuals and overall concept, and some people have a lot of praise for the game. But I've also seen some negative comments, and seeing you describe it as your biggest disappointment in gaming is somewhat discouraging hahahaha. I might still check it out at some point though.
Actually I haven't exhausted every possible route with Clock Tower yet, I did a few and then decided to stop and pick it up later when I will have forgotten some things about it. In any case, I liked it a lot. I'll surely look into the rest of the series when I'm fully done with it.

Valkyria Chronicles: oh don't get me wrong, I love what they did with it visually and I liked the idea, but...if you're expecting the story to make any sense, well, that's not going to happen. This is not even a case of "could have been done better if x y and z", I'm talking "this doesn't make a lick of sense". Not even the main excuse for the plot makes sense! Plus there's some choice tropes that I personally really despise. Also, you're given so many side characters that don't get any fleshing out at all and you're just there wishing you were playing a game in which they do...I don't know. If you play it, I'd suggest to do so with low expectations because it isn't going to match up to the high ones.
Emma wrote:Worst game: Beyond Two Souls. I really enjoyed Heavy Rain, as unintentionally hilarious as it was at times, but Beyond Two Souls never got me invested in the characters or the story and for some reason the QTE gameplay bugged me so much more in this game than it did in Heavy Rain (or any such similar games). My flatmate would watch me play and we'd throw out guesses and theories for what was going to happen and we were basically correct on them all because everything in this game is a tired trope or cliche. And it thinks its far more clever than it actually is. Heavy Rain, at least, had a mystery to keep you hooked. Beyond Two Souls is disjointed and tedious and pretentious and suffers if you play it through in the suggested order. I honestly think it would be a lot better if it's played in chronological order. It might make you care about Jodie that way.
Oh boy, thanks for writing that because, having playing Heavy Rain and mostly liked it (at the time; maybe today I'd be more annoyed at some of the things about it), I could have almost picked Beyond Two Souls up and eehhhh that sounds like exactly everything I hate, lol.