Ace Attorney series

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
Megan A

Ace Attorney series

Post by Megan A »

I figured, since Spirit of Justice comes out in September, we should have a post about the series! (BUY IT, PLAY WITH AMASSMENT)

I only played the Ace Attorney series for the first time last year, but I loved them all that I played all of the ones available in English and am currently getting through Dual Destinies! I love them so much that I'm a bit bummed that it took me so long to get into the series.

Since I'm a newer fan of the series, I want to hear about your experiences!
Favorite characters (SHRINE THEM, PLEASE)
favorite games
favorite / least favorite cases
etc.

ARE YOU BUYING ACE ATTORNEY: SPIRIT OF JUSTICE?
Larissa
Time Traveler

Re: Ace Attorney series

Post by Larissa »

I love Ace Attorney! I got into it years ago when the DS games came out, but I fell out of it after the fourth game, which I didn't enjoy as much. I played Dual Destinies a few months ago and it got me right back into the series, haha. It was so good to see all my old favorites again. I'm super excited for the new game (Maya!!) and I can't wait to see what wacky stuff is up next.

I used to have a site for Diego/Mia but I closed it a while back. I think a lot of Ace Attorney sites have closed, sadly.

Favorite character: I really liked the characters in the fifth game! Athena was a great addition and Simon was fantastic. I love the whole crew though.

Favorite game: Either the third game or the fifth game, I really like the overarching stories.

Favorite cases: lmao how can I pick a favorite. Least favorite is probably 2-1 though.
tonight fate is the
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Oh my god Ace Attorney ;_;

I played the first three games SO MANY TIMES but then when the fourth came out I wasn't as eager to get it because...you know, and I haven't played the newer ones since. I will eventually play that, and Investigations, and Dual Destinies, and aarghhh AND THEN I can play Spirit of Justice.

This year is when the events of the first game are actually happening! So I've planned to replay the first game ON THE DAY in which the events are said to happen. Thanks for reminding me, because, if I recall correctly, Phoenix's first case was in August 2016!

Favorite character: MAYA :D (I don't think I could do a good job at writing about her though...but then again I might eat my words after I replay everything and Spirit of Justice comes out :D)
and Gumshoe ;_;

Favorite game: I think the first, if nothing else because 2 and 3 had a few cases that I didn't like and 1 felt more overall solid to me.

Favorite cases: Probably the Matt Engarde one (2-5? I think) and least favorite the clown case
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I first played Ace Attorney in 2012 and felt fairly late to the party, and apparently I didn't play Dual Destinies upon release, but a few months later? If my wallet allows it, I'd love to play Spirit of Justice when it's released, hopefully alongside several of you! :D

I replayed the third game 1-2 years ago, and I'm currently replaying the first! I think I might replay Dual Destinies, too, since Larissa and Megan recently playing it makes me want to reexperience it haha... (It's also because I don't remember much, so it'd be neat to replay it before Spirit of Justice is released.)

Favourite character: I love a lot of characters (how can you not), but I do adore Mia. I think her introduction in the very first case is very well-done, especially due to the follow-up. Just as her presence doesn't fully leave those she has loved, I guess that first warm impression of hers has just stuck with me. I also remember loving Lana though - can't wait to reach that case in my replay!

Favourite game: I'll have to finish replaying the first game to be sure, but I think it'd be the third game. Its three core cases and the lead-up all the way to the end as well as the way it concluded the trilogy were amazing, ugh. ALL THE LOVELY CHARACTERS. ;_; And Dahlia.

Favourite/least favourite case: I usually have a good memory, but I don't remember the details and characters of every case in the game (even when looking at the overview on the Wiki) - probably because THERE ARE JUST SO MANY WITNESSES BSING LEFT AND RIGHT. I think that's great though, because I can enjoy these replays even more! Off the top of my head, I'll be cheap and say Rise from the Ashes/Bridge to the Turnabout for favourites, and - even though Megan has forbidden me to (but how can I name a least favourite when I don't remember most cases??) - Turnabout Big Top for least favourite. YOU CAN'T GET ME TO REPLAY THE SECOND GAME BECAUSE OF TURNABOUT BIG TOP. BONDS ARE FORGED THROUGH MUTUAL HATE OF TURNABOUT BIG TOP (@dubiousdisc).
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

So, who here is getting Spirit of Justice upon release? I wonder whether the free DLC deal is going to be a thing for Europe too, hm.

Damn it, I forgot to replay Dual Destinies.
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

Gonna reply to my own post finally:

Favorite characters:
Ema Skye and Dick Gumshoe. I also adore Mia (love your comments about her, Lethe :'(). Also obligatory Edgeworth.

Favorite Games:
Trials and Tribulations is SO GOOD, and it's probably on my top ten favorite games of all time. Everything in that game was tied together so intricately and nicely, and the ending :'(

Dual Destinies was really good too. I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it (and it actually made me like Apollo).

Favorite / Least Favorite Cases:
Favorites: 1-5 - I loved the characters in this and the super interesting behind-the-scenes details going on. The case really picked up after the first trial. It was just so good.

3-5 - This was such a good case :'( After 3-4, I kind of knew where it was going, but I LOVED how 3-5 played out. Such a cool and creepy setting, and Edgeworthhhh. I also really liked Dahlia.

Least:
2-1 - I think this is on everyone's list though.

2-4 - I'm so sorry :X I know that this case is one of the most loved and most memorable, but ahhh, I got so frustrated and had to pull out a guide during the final trial. I loved the exploration, the twist, and the multiple choices Phoenix has, but I really, really struggled with the witness testimonies, and I was miserable.

Dubiousdisc: How is your replay going? Case two just started this week, I believe! :D

And yes, Lethe! I plan on buying and starting Spirit of Justice tomorrow! :D I'll update and let you know about the demo, if you want? But if you plan on getting the game regardless, I would just skip the demo bc I'm pretty sure it's just the first part of the first trial (not sure how other demos were).
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

aaaaah today is the day. I've read a bit more about the demo since you've told me about it, Megan, and it seems like it's okay to just get the game. :D Thank you! I'll go over my finances and might grab the game today haha.

Edit: We've set up an Ace Attorney channel over at the community chatroom in case you want to join!! :D
Anise

Post by Anise »

So I marathoned Ace Attorney in college. I had tried it in high school but didn't have the patience for it. I enjoy all the games but I will say my favorite is probably Apollo Justice because of the drama. It drops you in the middle of the world you love and you have to follow through to see where things went wrong for Phoenix.

I think I'm also a bit biased because I adore Klavier.

I don't really have a favorite case though my least favorites are the ones with Dahlia.

Also, there's a community chatroom?
The Second Guardian Network ☆☆ Esperits.ORG
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

Anise wrote:Also, there's a community chatroom?
Hi, Anise! We have a Discord server! You can find out more information here.

Demo Update: If you are 100% going to get the game, I suggest skipping the demo completely because it's just a watered down version of the first case. If you want to try out the new mechanics or see if this series is for you though, definitely check it out (or wait for the trilogy to go on sale on the eShop)!
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

Spirit of Justice update: I finished the game last week, and I really, really loved it. The whole thing was such a wonderful adventure. I enjoyed getting to meet the bright, new characters, seeing my favorites returning, and learning more about their world. 6-5 is probably one of my favorite cases in the whole series. IF YOU PLAY, POKE ME BECAUSE I WANNA TALK ABOUT IT WITH EVERYONE!

Also, I'm gonna need some AA shrines from you all! *pokes everyone*