Video Game Deals

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
Todd

Video Game Deals

Post by Todd »

Post any good video game sales or deals you find here! Be sure to include any region restrictions and end dates if applicable.

Humble Bundle currently has a Friends of Nintendo bundle available. It has some third party Nintendo games, some of which are major titles. It ends on May 3rd.
Megan A

Re: Video Game Deals

Post by Megan A »

It's PSN Golden Week. Ends May 2.
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

Steam has a new sale: "Anime Weekend Sale" which has a lot of interesting things discounted. Lots of VNs. Ends May 2, 10 AM PST.

Feel free to chime in with some VN recs (or make a thread). Very interested in some of these!
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Megan A wrote:Steam has a new sale: "Anime Weekend Sale" which has a lot of interesting things discounted. Lots of VNs. Ends May 2, 10 AM PST.

Feel free to chime in with some VN recs (or make a thread). Very interested in some of these!
Ooooh thanks for posting!

Big name recommendations: Indie stuff I highly recommend:
  • The Royal Trap: The Confines Of The Crown (visual novel) - I briefly wrote about this in another topic already. It's by far one of my favourite indie VNs because it's not an otoge, but integrates common otoge elements while breaking out of the norm. I love its protagonist (a loyal lady skilled in espionage among other things), its strong theme of being trapped by social status, its story (I'm a sucker for political intrigue) and its many different routes. It's not romantic first and foremost, but there are m/f and f/f relationships possible.
  • Long Live The Queen - Not sure what genre to describe it as; check out the descriptions etc., it's not my thing, but it's very popular and creative!
Things you might want to read reviews of before buying:
  • fault milestone one (kinetic novel) - I backed this via Kickstarter and the characters are so gorgeous; also: princess and her guard, both ladies on a journey. This is the first part in a series and I (as well as many others) found it quite lackluster, especially due to its lack of focus on the two main characters. I might buy part two now that it's on sale though, see whether it gets better.
  • Dandelion - Wishes brought to you (otoge) - This seems to be quite popular in the otoge community! It's sweet in some parts, but I found the quality to be inconsistent and the characters to be too tropey. It has a very repetitive and flawed stats grinding system too. Same publisher has released another popular otoge, Nameless ~The one thing you must recall~ but I haven't played it yet because no money & scared of dolls.
  • Blood Code (otoge) - I tried this out because of the cute art, but the prologue sucked, the translation sucked, and the transitions between scenes made no sense. I put this on hold the moment the prologue was over because it was that bad. :|
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

GOG is having a huge bundle sale! A new bundle every 6 hours - I highly recommend them! :heart:
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Chibi wrote:GOG is having a huge bundle sale! A new bundle every 6 hours - I highly recommend them! :heart:
omgggggg I never visit GOG even though I should (DRM-free and all, but I guess I got attached to some Steam features).

Some sales that caught my eye:
  • Aquaria (metroidvania, action adventure) - This is my favourite game of all time. Story, music, visuals, gameplay, protagonist, storytelling, themes, details, everything. Watch the trailer. I've written a long introduction to it on my gaming blog, and it's one of those subjects I really really want to make a shrine for once I replay it.
There's a point-and-click adventure bundle up right now and I've played several of those titles on Steam.
  • The Blackwell series follows a duo consisting of a young socially awkward woman & a ghost, and they're detective ghost stories where you help piece together what has transpired and put the ghosts to rest. I'm not equally fond of all installments, but the second game in the series makes an impact if you play it right after the first game.
  • Memoria is one of my favourite point-and-click adventures ever; gorgeous graphics and locations, impressive female lead (one of the two leads), and... I am so in love with its story and conclusion, but especially its execution. Watch these two trailers ok trust me. It's also a sequel to Chains of Satinav, which also has lovely locations and all, but I hate Chains of Satinav's bland male lead and its bland story, and wouldn't say it's required to play the game before Memoria (even though Memoria will spoil you about Chains of Satinav's ending).
I have mini-reviews/personal impressions to all these games at my Backloggery.

The only thing that's left to say is... Since these games are DRM-free, there are no Steam achievements for them. Don't get me wrong, I dislike the obsession with achievements in modern gaming because they significantly cut into the way you play games in many cases (with entire guides up at psntrophies and stuff), or are often heavy on "hey you've reached this point in the story" and "griiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind", but, for some of these games I've just mentioned, achievements make you explore and discover things you may not have noticed otherwise, which I think is the best reason to have achievements - as subtle encouragement for players to go beyond what's asked.

The Blackwell series and things made by Daedalic Entertainment (Memoria) are often on sale on Steam, but I've heard that Aquaria is never on sale there.
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

Lethe wrote:The only thing that's left to say is... Since these games are DRM-free, there are no Steam achievements for them. Don't get me wrong, I dislike the obsession with achievements in modern gaming because they significantly cut into the way you play games in many cases (with entire guides up at psntrophies and stuff), or are often heavy on "hey you've reached this point in the story" and "griiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind", but, for these games I've just mentioned, achievements make you explore and discover things you may not have noticed otherwise, which I think is the best reason to have achievements - as subtle encouragement for players to go beyond what's asked.
I kinda feel the same, but I'm trying to get over the feeling of wanting the achievements since GOG is a better deal for everything else! XD

Though it should be noted - the people at GOG are developing their own software (which is a bit like Steam's), called GOG Galaxy (I have it and I love it), and one of the future features are actually achievements! So they are coming. :content: (And then Steam will be over... muahahaha!)
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

The Humble Store's Spring Sale has begun. There's an on-site calendar and countdown as deals differ every day, but if you sign up for the newsletter, you'll be notified via mail as well.

Tales of Symphonia (and Zestiria) is currently on sale if you missed it during the recent Steam sale.
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

Askys Games has a sale!

http://store.aksysgames.com/
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Oops, not so sure whether the Humble newsletter updates you about Spring Sale updates; I deal with a lot of emails reflexively, so... Anyway, I recommended Memoria (point-and-click adventure) a few posts ago, but it was on GOG. This bundle in the Humble store is currently on sale and has Memoria in it for a really cheap price, and you get a Steam key out of it. ~