Mon-genre

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
Destinie

Re: Mon-genre

Post by Destinie »

I'm always on the lookout, too. The big ones are Digimon World series (There were 2 games released for DS: Dawn and Dusk that I missed out on and now they are way too expensive on Amazon...), Monster Rancher, Pokemon, Youkai Watch, etc.

I have Dinosaur King (DS) which is very similar but it's about Dinosaurs. It's kind of a terrible game but I love it. Because Dinosaurs.

I can't think of anything else I have/am playing right now that fits the bill. Looking to see if other people have other suggestions...
high seraph

Post by high seraph »

Epona wrote:Do you know of any other games that fall into this genre? I'm super interested in these games now because I have so much fun training and collecting, and I wanna look into some more titles! Any console is fine because I have access to anything except the xBox series.
UMM somehow I'm always coming accross RPGs that have this design, so I might have some suggestions. However, this part of the gameplay is almost always only there for gameplay purposes, and catching everything isn't really the point (unless you're, like, trying to go hardcore with them lmao).

The first example that comes to mind is Shin Megami Tensei games, in which you can negotiate with demons that will join your party and fight with you. There is also Ni no Kuni and Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (although I don't recommend this game lmao). And Final Fantasy XIII-2 also has monster catching elements ;w;
          • ♕ ♔ nightly dance of bleeding
            swords remind me that i still live.
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

Hey, I wanted to thank you both for the suggestions!

Destinie: Those Digimon games look fantastic! Sucks the price of anything more than just the cartridge skyrocketed because those look exactly like what I'm looking for! I'll try to keep an eye on them from local stores and hopefully I can find a decent price somewhere. Thank you! :)

Seraph: I've played Ni no Kuni and Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (you're right about not recommending it too hahaha). Ni no Kuni is great, and I did like how it also had RPG elements where you could play as either characters or the monsters you collected. Your post reminded me of how much I liked this game, and I may decide to give it another playthrough! I'll also take a look at the Shin Megami Tensei games because I've never actually played them! Thanks!
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I actually liked ToS:2 but it hardly lives up to the nature of its predecessor! The game itself I thought was fun and I liked the monster-capturing aspect of it. It made battles a bit more fun for me since I could just send the creatures out ahah.

In other news: YW2 is confirmed for the west and I recently saw that Mulder and Scully cameos are in YW:Sushi and Tempura - I am super STOKED since it makes perfect sense AHAH. "The Y Files!" :D
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Gurumin is fun though the creatures live in a town you build rather than battling. I'm playing Pokemon X right now. Yokai was fun but I prefer Pokemon by a lot. It feels more like an epic journey than a child's imagination.