Considering Buying a 3DS XL...Game Recommendations?

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
Robin
Events Staffer

Considering Buying a 3DS XL...Game Recommendations?

Post by Robin »

I'm highly drawn to the 3DS/3DS XL because of the potential for playing Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Paper Mario: Sticker Star. ^o^ (just found out about the latter last night, omg!)

So, my questions:
- Any games you'd recommend for this system?
- Any problems you've encountered with playing 3DS games on a 3DS XL?
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Re: Considering Buying a 3DS XL...Game Recommendations?

Post by nyxmidnight »

Shin MEgami Tensei IV JOIN ME IN THE MADNESS

j/k

What type of games do you like?
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I really wish they'd come out with a regular site of the New 3DS. *hates the size of the XL* I'm still using my old regular 3DS. xD

I'd recommend Fire Emblem: Awakening just because I love that game to death. It's a tactical RPG and is pretty easy to get into for beginners. Plus it's a ton of fun! It requires some thinking though so if you aren't big on it it may not be for you.

Also Animal Crossing. Get Animal Crossing. Nuff said.

Other than that I'm not sure. I actually don't own a lot of games for my 3DS. Maybe get Pokemon X or Y or Pokemon Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire too? They're all really fun and a lot easier than past games I find with the Experience Share affecting your entire team and not being just a held item. There is also the option to turn it off which is nice too.

I can't really say much about the XL as I mentioned above I'm still using my regular old 3DS which they don't even make anymore. I have small hands so I just can't make the transition to the XL which I find to be too big for me (I've been trying with my sister's XL but I just can't). As far as I know, however, my sister has not had any problems with her XL. They're pretty much the same thing. The XL is just bigger and runs better than the 3DS.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Todd

Post by Todd »

I'm opposite of Crystal. I LOVE my XL and could not go back to the small screen of the regular. I like the louder volume and larger screen size. It just feels so comfortable.

3DS is my favorite system.

Off the top of my head:

1) Animal Crossing: New Leaf for sure.
2) Seconding Fire Emblem: Awakening.
3) Bravely Default (Really fun and unique if you like RPGS).
4) New Super Mario Bros 2 (Love Coin Rush).
5) Theatrhythm: Curtain Call! (Final Fantasy music. Enough said.)
6) Donkey Kong Country Returns is really fun, but challenging. A great port of a Wii game.
7) Phoenix Wright Trilogy (You have to buy digitally, but such an amazing series.)
8) Fantasy Life is really fun if you like games like Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Nyx: Let's see...my favorite games (for other systems) are Animal Crossing, the first Pikmin, Super Smash Bros: Melee, Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, Super Mario RPG, and We Love Katamari. (Most of these are for Gamecube, with the exceptions being SMRPG and Katamari, lol)

In general, it looks like I'm drawn to fairly simple games that I can pick up/put down/replay without too much fuss. I do like some story games but sometimes I get irritated if levels start to become too "grindy," LOL ^_^

@Crystal: I was actually thinking more about getting a 3DS, but then I learned that the XL has a better processor--I tend to upgrade game systems VERY selectively, so I wanted to be sure I got something that would last. That stinks that they're not making the 3DS anymore, though! x_x It seemed to be a REALLY popular system.

@Todd: Oooo I might have to try Theatrhythm! :D And with two rec's for Fire Emblem: Awakening, sounds like I need to see what all the fuss is about xD
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

@Todd: My sister is the same with her XL. She tries playing mine and it feels super tiny to her. Plus she has bigger hands than I do lol. I don't like the larger screen size personally. It makes the games feel blurry to me. I was playing Rune Factory 4 on her XL and then I played it on mine and everything looked so much sharper. To each their own I guess. xD

@CuriousLittleBird: Yeah XL would probably be the better way to go but I'm super stubborn. My 3DS also has like 3 hours of battery life on average now (it's almost 3 and a half years old and the battery life was short to begin with) and I'm trying to convince myself I should buy a new one. It's not working.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

I third Fire Emblem Awakening. I also second Theatrythm and Bravely Default.

If you like harvest moon, Story of Seasons is good and so is Harvest Moon: A New Beginning. I'd also recommend any Rune Factory game since it combines RPG and farming in a pretty nice way. I'd also suggest Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, it's a lot of fun (though it might be intimidating if you know very little about KH).

I just have a 3DS, so I can't speak for any differences.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Adding to this list: Puzzles and Dragons Z (also Puzzles and Dragons Super Mario Bros. Edition that comes with it). So much fun!
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

Oh man... my games are too hard for me to rec them to you :/
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I think it depends on what kind of games you like. But I recommend:

Tales of the Abyss -- If you want to get into the Tales of Fandom

Rune Factory 4 -- Harvest moon meets fantasy jRPG. Best in the series IMO

Any of the Professor Layton Games -- If you like a good puzzle and story. You don't need to start with the first in the series to enjoy

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time -- Port of N64 game. Just because I love LOZ

The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds -- Sequel to Link to the Past, my favorite Zelda Game. I love this game and would highly recommend ♥

There's a lot of DS games I like. I personally just have a few 3DS games...