Geez, how much has Pokemon changed since I was a kid?!

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
Robin
Events Staffer

Geez, how much has Pokemon changed since I was a kid?!

Post by Robin »

So I started doing research yesterday on Clefairy and Clefable, preparing to make my shrine. Imagine my surprise when I discovered all the crazy new stuff that's been added since I was into Pokemon heavily (~1997-2000)!

First of all, Cleffa exists as a sort-of "baby Clefairy," I guess...and then there's the introduction of "Fairy-type Pokemon" as a new classification, which makes complete sense. But what's all this about transferring Pokemon to teach them new skills, and "Shiny" Pokemon vs. "Normal," etc.?

/feeling like ancient old fogey now xD
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Crystal

Re: Geez, how much has Pokemon changed since I was a kid?!

Post by Crystal »

yeah Pokemon has changed A LOT over the years. There are so many new things that it can be a little hard to keep up with.

I'm not sure about the "transferring" thing but I know through breeding you can teach Clefairy moves it wouldn't otherwise learn on its own. It's cool but it does take some extra work. There is really no difference between a normal and shiny aside from colors. It's more of if you like shiny Pokemon you can go for this but do know it is super rare that you don't want to entirely focus on it. Apparently there is some thing you can do with breeding to get a shiny Pokemon but I've never messed around with it so I don't know how it works. I just play the game lol.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

I'm with you there. I only know the first gen and second, rest is all "wha" to me. It has realllly changed, especially the types of Pokemon.
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Crystal: Oh, ok! That makes sense about "shiny" vs. "normal"--it's just like foil cards vs. non-foil in Magic: the Gathering. Collect the shinies if you want, but doesn't matter in gameplay. :)

Also, this site was where I found the "transfer-only" moves for Clefairy. These moves were only learnable in previous generations, so to learn them on a current Pokemon, you have to transfer them to the old game and then back to the new one. Kinda confusing LOL

@Camy: I know--I was all set to do a Gen1 Clefairy/Clefable shrine, and then I started reading all this new stuff and going "wait what??" *gets walking cane and ear trumpet* EH? Pokemon "HeartGold?" These young whippersnappers don't know 'bout Red and Blue! We played that and we were HAPPY! XD
withinmyworld.org
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

@Robin: Exactly! They're cool to have but aren't nessesarily "important". It's just a go with what you like kind of thing.

Ahh okay. I see. So that is probably referring to Pokemon you can transfer using the PokeTransfer app. It's not something I use because it has a monthly fee to use it but it can be used to store and transfer Pokemon from previous generations. At least that's what I assume it is referring to.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Wowww...Pokemon have "apps" now. Feeling OLD AS DIRT now, LOL

"Want to teach your Pokemon moves they don't naturally know? There's an app for that." /obligatory Apple joke
withinmyworld.org
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Yep. There is a few of them. xD
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

Yup, Pokemon has changed and I've played them all. My dad went up to Yellow, I think and was done because there became "too many buttons". He thinks they've gone too far and added too many pokemon. If you haven't kept up with Pokemon games it gets overwhelming I'm sure. But in Ruby/Sapphire there were secret bases (also in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire remakes of previous). And those are really really awesome. I did really enjoy Red and Blue. Those need to come back man.

Also it's okay that pokemon now confuses you. I've kept with it and it still confuses me. They've added in a lot of new features but honestly, I play them like I played Red and Blue. Get my pokemon, raise them, battle, win. I miss Squirtle as a starter.

Also really sorry if I can off as rude or something. I didn't mean too and I'm always worried that I do. I don't worry about poke apps or things like. They are add ons that aren't important.

Shiny breeding has a change of producing a shiny. Say you want a Shiny Eevee, then put an Eevee with another Eevee or a Ditto and let them breed. There is a 1/1000 chance I think that it'll be shiny. The rates go up if one of the parents is shiny too.
;o; *** pew! pew!
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I knew about shinies & babies, it was around hoenn and sinoh that I got lost. I've been somewhat keeping up with the anime lately.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Cherri Wowwww you know a lot more than I do! And no worries, I saw no rudeness ^_^

@Mikari I hear ya, I got out of the fandom around 2000 for some unknown reason and just never got back into it till I joined here and realized there were LOTS of Pokemon fans still! (Then I got the idea to make a Clefairy shrine and the rest was history xD)
withinmyworld.org