Absentia: The Eighth Doctor (Doctor Who)

Updates and input on ongoing projects, shrines, and revamps!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: Absentia: The Eighth Doctor (Doctor Who)

Post by Robin »

@Masao: thank you!! :D (I totally haven't stared dreamily at my own site header...nope not at all :D)

I'm hoping to feel like adding more content this week too! I'm glad you like what is there so far. (Also I'm glad I didn't try to make a "complete" Doctor Who shrine because my brain would just run screaming XD)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

HOMG A NEW PAGE

Yes, finally, I have the first draft of some new content!!

I need to add images to it because it's very Wall of Text-y, but at least I got something done at long last: Why the TV Movie DOESN'T Suck!
withinmyworld.org
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

As someone who knows absolutely nothing about Doctor Who I found this to be quite enjoyable and easy to read. You are amazing Robin!
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Crystal: Oooo thank you! I'm glad it is approachable and not overwhelming :D :D
withinmyworld.org
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

HO-LEE CRAP SO I FINALLY DID SOMETHING ON THIS SITE AGAIN

I have been staring at this layout for several months thinking "It's so cool, but it needs...SOMETHING. But what?"

Then...I had a brainstorm this evening. Check this ish out. OMG I think I finally nailed this layout (after an embarrassingly long time)!!

(This layout has already been tested in the latest versions of IE/Firefox/Chrome on my PC and everything looks good to me, but as always, let me know if something looks strange, is unreadable, etc.!)
withinmyworld.org
Jae

Post by Jae »

Gosh, Robin! I love what you've done with the layout. It's elegant and readable and - most of all - that subtle dynamic with the changing images ties everything together!

Reading through a couple of your articles, I finally managed to nail in my head how your style reads to me. Your essays remind me of informational blogs that do a bang up job of keeping readers entertained while cranking out so many details. Anyway! I admire your ability to organize content, because I could never sit down and explain something from the ground up for the patience I lack, and you strike me as doing it in a way that's nonstandard in a good way. Does that make sense?

I think for that reason I like the "why the TV movie doesn't suck" article a lot in addition to how vividly you paint the history that newcomers would probably have a harder time catching onto. My personal favorite must be the "character arc meanings" section, though, because I love to parse character arcs and you don't miss anything.
fayth
I come and go, but I'm around.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Jae wrote:Gosh, Robin! I love what you've done with the layout. It's elegant and readable and - most of all - that subtle dynamic with the changing images ties everything together!

Reading through a couple of your articles, I finally managed to nail in my head how your style reads to me. Your essays remind me of informational blogs that do a bang up job of keeping readers entertained while cranking out so many details. Anyway! I admire your ability to organize content, because I could never sit down and explain something from the ground up for the patience I lack, and you strike me as doing it in a way that's nonstandard in a good way. Does that make sense?

I think for that reason I like the "why the TV movie doesn't suck" article a lot in addition to how vividly you paint the history that newcomers would probably have a harder time catching onto. My personal favorite must be the "character arc meanings" section, though, because I love to parse character arcs and you don't miss anything.
YAY THANK YOU!! :) I'm really happy with the new background color and texture--it just adds that little bit of polish that had been missing.

Also, I'm glad that my articles are informative without being dry/boring--I definitely wanted to include a lot of info on this subject, since it's not very well-known even within the fandom, but I was worried it was "info overload," LOL. Glad to hear you've got some favorite articles already! (I plan to add in pictures as I can find them to help illustrate my points as well, so that will hopefully help the flow of info even more)
withinmyworld.org
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

Ahhh, the layout looks so great~! The background really pulls everything together! I can't wait to see your new article ideas! :music:
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

The layout looks great, Robin. :) I'm just browsing around now as there's some pages I haven't read yet. You have such an engaging style of writing, and everything flows so well. Looking forward to more!
a spoony bard
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Megan A: Thank you! I'm hopeful I can finish at least a few more articles before the end of the event, though I doubt at this point I'll finish the whole site. (Real life y u do dis to meeeee LOL)

@Emma: Thank you! I'm glad the writing style is easy to get into :D hoping I will have time/brain energy to polish up what I've got and add more soon!
withinmyworld.org