Does the walker choose the path?: Old Kingdom series

Updates and input on ongoing projects, shrines, and revamps!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Rems

Does the walker choose the path?: Old Kingdom series

Post by Rems »

Hoo boy, if I actually finish this it'll be a miracle. The last (and first) time I made a shrine was 2006 and it took it eight years and two content overhauls to get it to a satisfactory level, lol. Two in one year is, y'know, unheard of. :sob:

Anyways! Since I've decided to take part in the Construction Zone event, I went ahead and uploaded everything I had already, including the layout (which I made back in February and I still love it a great deal, so that's a good sign), and some buttons I made a few days ago whilst on a code kick.

There's not much to see aside from the index, linking buttons, and my credits page, but I do have a site outline and a vague idea of what to work on first, which will be in Series - a series overview which will expand on what's on the index already, book summaries, and possibly a timeline (for my own benefit of figuring out when important things happened) but that'll have to be filled out as I work through my re-read closer to Goldenhand's release. After I get through these three pages, I'll make a start on the nitty-gritty world building stuff and tentatively touching characters. As I might have to rewrite a lot (Goldenhand is a sequel and is about everyone, it seems) that might be held off on, but! Goals, goals.

This is quite an undertaking since it's a large universe to write about, but we'll see how I go. I have a few ideas :light: of what I'd like to write about in depth, some speculative essays as well as support of a few themes (Lirael's depression for one, why you should read it, etc.), but if you are familiar with the series and have any thoughts on what you'd like to see, just let me know! :heart:

Updates:
3rd May 2016
16th March 2017
Last edited by Rems on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
❝ they have stolen the heart from inside you, but this does not define you ❞
Laura

Re: Does the walker choose the path?: Old Kingdom series

Post by Laura »

YAY! I love it!! Your site looks so clean and well organized.. the layout is gorgeous! (Esp your text formatting... drool~~) Love the buttons too. :)

I'll definitely be following you as you update! I think it's rare enough to see general series shrines, nevermind shrines for novels. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing a list of all the media (you mentioned there were also novellas and such). As someone who hasn't read the series yet, I think that would be really handy to see. :D
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Beautiful, airy layout, and really easy to read for me. The navigation being put off to the right is a cool and unexpected touch, and gives you some room to expand if you need to later. :D

I've never heard of this series, so I'm looking forward to the info and your analyses! :D
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

Super excited for this! :heart: I started reading the first book a while back but didn't get too far in, haha, I need to pick it back up. But I'm glad to see you're working on it!! The layout looks lovely and I'm looking forward to learning more about it!
tonight fate is the
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

!! I LOVE this series! It's been so long since I've read them, I'm really due for a reread because I've forgotten a lot of details by now. The layout is gorgeous, Rems, lovely to navigate. It is a big universe and one I would find personally a bit intimidating to tackle. However, you seem to have some great ideas to start off with, and I look forward to seeing more. :)
a spoony bard
Rems

Post by Rems »

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone!! :heart: :heart: :heh:

@Laura: From my limited experience it does seem that a novel is a rare route to go! But as they're my favourite set of books and I love everything about them [s]and they deserve movies[/s] it doesn't actually feel that daunting in that regard, haha.

I'll be working on the list of media first for that reason since it's definitely a universe and a collective of books rather than a trilogy/quartet/whatever, to give everyone a place to start and in what order they should be read, what's chronological and what not.

@Robin: I'm glad you like it! (The layout actually responds to screen size so it works for smaller screens too. Everyone thank Larissa :heart: for that one.) And that's part of it! It lets me go up if I want to add new sections, which I might do. I choose the font based on it being similar to what's in the physical books (or at least the UK editions) since I always found it very easy to read, and it's another link back to the books :D

@Larissa: You should, Sabriel is gr8, novel and character. And I'll try to finish this one eventually, haha.

@Emma: We should both reread them |D I last did a full reread at least two years ago if not longer (though I reread Sabriel a couple of months ago in preparation for this and RP reasons), but most Old Kingdom knowledge is just etched into my brain at this point so it's just the finer points I'm missing, honestly.
❝ they have stolen the heart from inside you, but this does not define you ❞
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

The layout!!!! IS SO BEAUTIFUL. I don't know anything about this series, but after reading your index, I'm really, really interested now. Can't wait to see more! :D
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

This is perfect timing, because I'll be starting the first book of this series pretty soon! :D The layout is lovely~! Hopefully I'll be able to read this without spoiling myself in a few months, haha!
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

Rems wrote:@Emma: We should both reread them |D I last did a full reread at least two years ago if not longer (though I reread Sabriel a couple of months ago in preparation for this and RP reasons), but most Old Kingdom knowledge is just etched into my brain at this point so it's just the finer points I'm missing, honestly.
Yes, definitely, we should! I think I'll pick them up on Kindle soon, because my physical copies are somewhere in my black hole that is my parents attic haha. I also still haven't read Clariel at all, so I should fix that. :)
a spoony bard
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

All of your layouts look so clean and gorgeous aaah. (I stalk your fanlistings just to see all the gorgeous layouts.) /rolls around in fonts

I've tried reading the first book twice with many years apart and couldn't get into it, but as wolfrun mentioned, there are barely any shrines to books, let alone book series, so I'm really looking forward to the content! <3
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.