Summer Anime Conventions/Cosplay?

Everything around Japanese animation and comics.
Mayumi

Re: Summer Anime Conventions/Cosplay?

Post by Mayumi »

I usually go to FanExpo in Toronto. But sadly this year I won't be going since the price went a little bit too high for all 4 days ;-; But! On a happy note, I'll be going to Anime North :)
Tara
Freelance Staffer

Post by Tara »

Aku wrote:Sounds like fun! I'd really love to see more CCS cosplay. T_T Persona 3 could use some love too, normally I see a lot more Persona 4. I feel you though, cosplay is really expensive, my wallet is crying right now as it is. I've done the bag-holding/cameraman job before. >_< As fun as cosplay is, it's a lot more comfortable to romp around the con without it, that's for sure.
I love Persona 4, but Persona 3 needs sooo much more cosplay love! I've priced items for Mitsuru for next year and she's actually fairly cheap compared to the other characters I want to cosplay, so that's a bit of a bonus hahaha. I'd really like to do Sakura since I have a friend that's cosplaying Meiling this year...

I'm really hoping they're still doing the free burgers at Burger King for Anime North this year. Such a moneysaver, lol
I used to practice smiling when i'm feeling sad, y'know.
Aku

Post by Aku »

You're both going to Anime North! :D You should meet up~ <3

Also, holy shit, they do free burgers at Burger King for Anime North?! That is crazy awesome. The past few years at AX the food trucks congregated near the convention center which was great, lots of food options, although it wasn't free. XD
Tara
Freelance Staffer

Post by Tara »

If I have free time, that would be super cool! I have no idea where my friends are gonna drag me.

I went, I think, 5 or 6 years ago? And I remember there was a Burger King by where the convention takes place, and the lines were MASSIVE for free burgers. Totally worth it though. I hope they're still doing it because it's such a good idea!
Aku

Post by Aku »

Tara wrote:I went, I think, 5 or 6 years ago? And I remember there was a Burger King by where the convention takes place, and the lines were MASSIVE for free burgers. Totally worth it though. I hope they're still doing it because it's such a good idea!
I'm pretty turned off by long lines so it'd probably deter me, but it is a great idea no doubt. XD You can't turn down free. There was a year that the X Games were running the same time as Anime Expo. It was a literal pain to try and get through both the con crowd and the x games crowd, but there were SO many free energy drink handouts! >_< It's too bad I'm not a fan of energy drinks.
Tara
Freelance Staffer

Post by Tara »

Aku wrote:I'm pretty turned off by long lines so it'd probably deter me, but it is a great idea no doubt. XD You can't turn down free. There was a year that the X Games were running the same time as Anime Expo. It was a literal pain to try and get through both the con crowd and the x games crowd, but there were SO many free energy drink handouts! >_< It's too bad I'm not a fan of energy drinks.
The lines move pretty fast because it's the same generic burger for everyone. You don't get to pick so the lines goes pretty quickly. It's finding a place to eat that's the tricky part!! I usually end up eating picnic style on the grass.

Ahhhh I'm in the same boat, I dislike energy drinks. If they handed out juice or water I'd be all over that, though!
Aku

Post by Aku »

Tara wrote:The lines move pretty fast because it's the same generic burger for everyone. You don't get to pick so the lines goes pretty quickly. It's finding a place to eat that's the tricky part!! I usually end up eating picnic style on the grass.

Ahhhh I'm in the same boat, I dislike energy drinks. If they handed out juice or water I'd be all over that, though!
That's good! That definitely does make it go faster. At the LA Convention center there's a Starbucks on the second floor, and that line is actually horrendous. I can't imagine having to work there, taking all those orders and nonstop pumping out drinks... ><;; Hahah, picnic style is totally how I've always done it too. XD Trying to find a place to eat in the actual con center is a disaster!

A couple of times my friends have gone out to eat in cosplay, at a nearby Denny's. It's pretty hilarious to walk into Denny's and see like, all of the Naruto cast eating breakfast for dinner together. XD
Tara
Freelance Staffer

Post by Tara »

Aku wrote:That's good! That definitely does make it go faster. At the LA Convention center there's a Starbucks on the second floor, and that line is actually horrendous. I can't imagine having to work there, taking all those orders and nonstop pumping out drinks... ><;; Hahah, picnic style is totally how I've always done it too. XD Trying to find a place to eat in the actual con center is a disaster!

A couple of times my friends have gone out to eat in cosplay, at a nearby Denny's. It's pretty hilarious to walk into Denny's and see like, all of the Naruto cast eating breakfast for dinner together. XD
I love going out to restaurants in cosplay, it's so much fun! But I feel like the locals just get less and less surprised by it every year hahaha.

It's been a while since I've been to Anime North, but I remember there being a lot of free space outside. I don't remember any indoor food courts or anything like that, just fast food places everywhere, lol. Then again it takes place in various hotels instead of one big centre, so I guess that makes sense. It's by the airport, I think? So there's lots of places to go to.
Mayumi

Post by Mayumi »

Tara wrote: I'm really hoping they're still doing the free burgers at Burger King for Anime North this year. Such a moneysaver, lol
They actually do that at Anime North? o_o Yum~ Last year was my first time going to AN. How many times have you went?
Tara
Freelance Staffer

Post by Tara »

Mayumi wrote:
Tara wrote: I'm really hoping they're still doing the free burgers at Burger King for Anime North this year. Such a moneysaver, lol
They actually do that at Anime North? o_o Yum~ Last year was my first time going to AN. How many times have you went?
This is only my second year going, sadly. :( My first time was six years ago so I have no idea if they still do that. I really hope they do though!!