CLAMP

Everything around Japanese animation and comics.
Juhi

Re: CLAMP

Post by Juhi »

I'm pretty lukewarm about CLAMP. I like a couple of their earlier works. Cardcaptor Sakura and Magic Knight Rayearth are some of my favorite series. Their anime adaptions are good too.

Their later works are a mixed bag for me. I liked Angelic Layer but couldn't get into Chobits. I really gave up on CLAMP with Tsubasa. I was okay with the whole crossover thing, but it seemed to drag and get downright weird for my tastes.
anon

Post by anon »

Juhi wrote:I was okay with the whole crossover thing, but it seemed to drag and get downright weird for my tastes.
GET OUT, don't even get me started on this. I'm still confused over the Tsubasa being Tsubasa thing.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Saya wrote:Well yeah, clamp's series, in the end are all for adult people, even if mostly it's said shoujo or shounen =) - I see them as josei and seinen!
I wouldn't go as far as saying that their series are mainly for adult people if that's what you wrote, though I think I know what you mean and feel similarly about it. I guess a better way to put it would be that while many of their series are specifically geared towards shoujo and shounen demographics, they contain subtle mature themes (and the questioning of social norms as Varen mentioned) and subtle body language that you might not be able to fully grasp until you're older, which is why it's still appealing to revisit them as adults. About half of their best-known works can be thoroughly enjoyed by the younger audience after all, such as Angelic Layer, Magic Knight Rayearth and Card Captor Sakura.
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Elysa

Post by Elysa »

I read a lot of CLAMP's work and enjoyed them, in particular Cardcaptor Sakura and X. I remember being super happy when they announced Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and that Sakura & Syaoran would be two of the main characters, so at first I read mostly for them, but after a while I started appreciating the series as a whole (despite going wtf at times).

Also, while I was able to get through the Chobits manga pretty easily, I've tried watching the Chobits anime twice (with a few years break inbetween), but I still wasn't able to finish it. I don't know, somehow I kept dropping it halfway...
Joe wrote:I did read Kobato. but I was pretty confused after reading it. Was it supposed to be an accompaniment to the animated adaptation? It just seemed like the animated adaptation had more closure than what I read from the manga.
I never got around to finishing the Kobato anime, but the manga ended decently in my eyes. Although maybe it's because I'm used to CLAMP's timeskips and not knowing what exactly happened inbetween |D;;
Lethe wrote:
Saya wrote:Well yeah, clamp's series, in the end are all for adult people, even if mostly it's said shoujo or shounen =) - I see them as josei and seinen!
I wouldn't go as far as saying that their series are mainly for adult people if I've understood you correctly, though I think I know what you mean and feel similarly about it. I guess a better way to put it would be that while many of their series are specifically geared towards shoujo and shounen demographics, they contain subtle mature themes (and the questioning of social norms as Varen mentioned) and subtle body language that you might not be able to fully grasp until you're older, which is why it's still appealing to revisit them as adults. About half of their best-known works can be thoroughly enjoyed by the younger audience after all, such as Angelic Layer, Magic Knight Rayearth and Card Captor Sakura.
I definitely agree with what Lethe said. I read many of CLAMP's works when I was younger and could understand what they were about. However, there were certain things I only discovered/realized/understood better after I reread them when I was older.
anon

Post by anon »

I don't know, the chapters I read about Kobato. didn't have anything to do with her finally fulfilling her wish while the anime did, so I was pur-retty confuzzled.
alexielnet

Post by alexielnet »

Well considering that 5 of my websites are CLAMP related, it's pretty obvious that I love them. X, TB, CCS, Clover, RG Veda, and Miyuki-chan in Wonderland. I'm still sad that they seem determined not to finish X and Clover. =(
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

I'm a big CLAMP fan, actually. They're probably the only artists/authors (mangaka?!) that I actually collect works of, otherwise I'm pretty much like "Oh no this looks good."

I'm particularly fond of xXxHolic because Yuuko is so bold. She's not a little girl (like Sakura or Hikaru) or a confused little computer who has little girl personality (like Chi). Actually I enjoy xXxHolic also because I love supernatural things. and I auto-love anything that includes the Monkey's Paw. I tend to be interested in the spiritual too, which xXxholic has a lot of. But mostly I tend to be Yuuko-bias. Plus, I love mythology and folklore.

I know there's more. Legal Drug wasn't bad, but I expect more explanations. AND THEN. OH! X I haven't had the pleasure of reading. I know there's 50 others. XD But If I haven't mentioned them I have no experience with them.

I also like Tsubasa, CCS, Chobits, Tokyo Babylon. I've not had much experience with Angelic Layer thought. And I'm not overly fond of Magic Knight Rayearth.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

Legal Drug is being publish as Drug & Drop from what I was reading. So maybe we will get more of an explanation. There is still a ton I haven't read but I'm getting around to it.
;o; *** pew! pew!
Saya

Post by Saya »

Legal Drug is coming again out as Drug&Drop, some chapters are already scanalated, and first 3 volumes were republished in japan under the new name.

Snow if you love supernatural, mithology and folklore Clamp's newst is for you GATE 7 is fantastic, because it has everything in it =)

While for xxxholic, you need to finish it reading, because that one has some of the evilest twist, I cursed the clamp at the end of the last chapter of the last volume.

And about X, there is something legal going on, that's a rumor, because from the rumors CLAMP actually finished the series but aren't publishing it because of something that happened with the editor house that was publishing it.
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

I was looking at Gate 7, it looks amazing! ;w; Time is an issue for me though. xD I wanted to throw Tsubasa, so I assume this is going to be worse for xXxholic. ;w;
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.