Anime and manga favorites!

Everything around Japanese animation and comics.
Destinie

Re: Anime and manga favorites!

Post by Destinie »

Joe wrote:
Destinie wrote:I liked KKJ but it was sooo similar to Saint Tail (Which is one of my favorite magical girl series ever). I was trying to watch/read Fullmoon wo Sagashite and some of her later works, I couldn't get into them either.
I remember everyone treating Tanemura like a genius but she really isn't that great, especially since her leads tend to be hard to relate to (they overemphasize plucky and clumsy). If you want something very light-hearted and short, I did enjoy Mistress Fortune (I even own the tankouban... IT'S SO GLITTERY OMG) and honestly, Full Moon's manga is better than the anime since the art is more detailed and there's not a lot of fillers in it. I dropped The Gentlemen's Alliance + because it was just HOLY CRAP DRAMA and The Legend of Princess Sakura didn't capture my attention that much.
(I second your feelings on Tanemura...) I think I read the first volume of Gentleman's Alliance and dropped it out of boredom. I also find her heroines to be very cookie cutter and whiny. I kind of prefer a stronger or more confident female lead, as I think that's a better message to send young girls.

I'll have to try Mistress Fortune, then! :D
Juhi

Post by Juhi »

I third the sentiments on Tanemura. Her best work was definitely Fullmoon, though I did prefer the anime a little more. I liked the anime's take on Mitsuki better. Shinshi Doumei Cross fell flat after volume 4 or so. Haine started to grate my nerves after a while. Her later works didn't appeal to me either (Mistress Fortune was cute, though).

For strong female leads, I recommend Oresama Teacher. The protagonist is a former delinquent wanting to be a normal high school girl, but things don't really work out that way. She's a pretty likeable lead and anything but a damsel in distress.
anon

Post by anon »

Destinie wrote:(I second your feelings on Tanemura...) I think I read the first volume of Gentleman's Alliance and dropped it out of boredom. I also find her heroines to be very cookie cutter and whiny. I kind of prefer a stronger or more confident female lead, as I think that's a better message to send young girls.
I think it's just cultural differences because based on my experiences with Japanese girls, they act airheaded because it's perceived as cute and endearing (lol I'm really sorry if anyone is offended by my horrible generalization, but this is just based on my own experiences and I'm not necessarily implying that it's true for every single Japanese person). Sometimes I feel that Tanemura's storytelling skills (among with lots of shoujo manga artists in general) exaggerate too much on this and their attempt to get their main character to be an audience surrogate is too overdone that it actually has the opposite effect.

Time Stranger Kyoko was a work of Tanemura's that had a confident and not-whiny female lead like ugh Princess Sakura ugh. Then again it's been like 6 years since I've last read it so my memory may be fuzzy.
Juhi

Post by Juhi »

Oh yeah, I forgot about Time Stranger Kyoko. Kyoko was pretty strong-minded compared to your average shoujo protagonist. It's a short series, so maybe it'd be worth the read.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I was on episode 9 of Puella Magi Madoka Magica when I had to go to work. I started today... Love it do far. It's 12 episodes so I'm almost done.