Anime and manga favorites!

Everything around Japanese animation and comics.
Puppeteer

Re: Anime and manga favorites!

Post by Puppeteer »

01. What are you currently keeping updated on?
Manga-wise I read Bleach and Kuroshitsuji; might catch up on Barajou no Kiss. Anime-wise I'm watching La Storia della Arcana Famiglia and Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshu: Uta Koi.

02. What is your favorite anime and/or manga of all time?
Impossible question, since I have seen and loved too many. For manga, I'll go with Fruits Basket and...Bleach (memory is failing me right now). As for anime, I'll choose Honey and Clover, Samurai Champloo, and Ouran. Really, I like too many, though.

03. Which holds a lot of sentimental value for you?
DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Rurouni Kenshin win the nostalgia award. Honey and Clover, Ouran, and Fruits Basket also get me choked up.

04. Do you have a favorite obscure/unpopular series?
Tactics! I'd love to read the manga if my Japanese reading skills weren't crap, but the anime is plenty fine for me. And Mushi-shi, if that's considered obscure--though it might just be really old lol.
[People have a weakness for forbidden things.]
Aku

Post by Aku »

I've been so busy with work lately that I'm really only following two ongoing series: SKET Dance and Shirokuma Cafe. :heart: They're both lighthearted and comical so it's relaxing to watch them after a long hard day at work. I've been thinking of picking up some stuff from the new season, but what I may do is just catch up on older seasons I'm behind on. I'm also pretty bad at keeping up with manga, but I keep up with the recent JoJo arc, JOJOLION, and grudgingly continue to read Kimi ni Todoke lol

Gintama, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and the Macross/Gundam franchises are probably my biggest passions! But I'm also a die-hard Dragon Ball Z fangirl, still love Death Note, and Ookiku Furikabutte is also probably one of my most favorite/re-watched stand alone series that doesn't have to do with fighting or robots, haha.

If I have to say one: Dragon Ball/DBZ! I will never not love Goku & the gang. I'm also a long-time Gundam fan, although I admit being partial to the earlier series. (Gundam in the Universal Century was the golden age!)

I would say both JoJo and Gintama are more obscure. Gintama's grown quite a fanbase just in the recent year, which I'm happy about, but I think for the most part it's still one of the lesser-followed JUMP series in the English-speaking fanbase. With the exception of the friends I've drug down with me, I'm the only Jojo fan I know, so... XD
Eden

Post by Eden »

@Aku: I might check out Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I've heard about it a while back and keep forgetting to check it out. Your layouts with big burly men make me want to look at it now.
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
Shiori

Post by Shiori »

Aku: I totally thought of you when I heard about the new JoJo anime and game projects, ngl.
Nekoi

Post by Nekoi »

Well actually I'm awaiting for lot of autumn anime but the serie I follow recently in the spare time is Kuroko no Basket. Nothing that keeps me that enthralled, but it's a nice serie. However the serie I recently love the most is Magi: the Labyrinth of Magic! :)

Eyeshiend 21 is in absolute the manga I adore the most. I never thought that I sport manga could become my top favourite, but it will always stay on top! Story, gags, characters developments, backgrounds, everything is amazing.
Speaking of animation (pure animation that are born as anime and not from the manga) the one that is on the same level of my eternal love (ES21) is only Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann! An anime that of just 26 episode that evolved in the best story you could ever expect! You can only love all the characters there (while I'm not much fond for Simon, to be sincere).

Eyeshield 21 again! While there is on the same level One Piece! Because it's the first manga I bought wholly and I adore it, while Oda-sensei probably will never end it!

Maybe Magi for now, even if anime is on coming. But I think that the most obscure and unpopular serie I like is Zone 00 of Q-jou! Not just for the awesome characters-design but also cause of the hard and intricate plot!
"There is only one God, and his name is death. And there is only one thing we say to death: Not today"
Syrio Forel, ASoIaF
Aku

Post by Aku »

Eden wrote:@Aku: I might check out Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I've heard about it a while back and keep forgetting to check it out. Your layouts with big burly men make me want to look at it now.
JJBA is an under-appreciated classic lol! I don't know how to explain why I love it, I think it's just a compilation of everything I love in shounen manga + high level art.
Shiori wrote:Aku: I totally thought of you when I heard about the new JoJo anime and game projects, ngl.
I'm soooo pumped for the game! Still wary about the anime--I think Jojo has stood as primarily a manga so long for a reason, but I'll definitely be checking it out. xD
anon

Post by anon »

I don't watch anime as much as I used to, haha. It might be because I can never sit still when watching anything, and if I have to watch anything, I need to be SO INTERESTED or I have to watch it with someone else. With that said, I read hella manga, mostly shoujo because I like the art and pacing better.

I'm always on the lookout for updates on Stardust Wink (Nana Haruta) and Ao Haru Ride (Io Sakisaka). Those are the two major series that have my full attention over anything else.

No brainer on this one: Io Sakisaka's Strobe Edge is my favorite, favorite manga in the world. All the characters are lovable, personable, and realistic without all that over-the-top drama.

Digimon Adventure is a show I've grown up with and it's been a huuuuge nostalgic factor to me. Unfortunately, even though I loved this show as a kid, I did not bother to keep up with the Xros Wars installments. I do have to admit Ojamajo Doremi and Futago Hime are runner-ups because I did dabble in the fandom and watch the show for years; I still do have a soft spot for them too.

YES, SO VERY YES. I used to watch magical girl shows so I was like this about Ojamajo Doremi and Futago Hime for some time. However, my favorite obscure series is the manga ChocoMimi. I've always wanted to read more of this; it's a cute 4-panel fashion comic about two eighth graders nicknamed Choco and Mimi. Surprisingly the only localization it has is in the US by Viz; it's so obscure Chinese publishers didn't pick it up!
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Nothing, really. I tend to read manga or watch anime years after it's completed or it's not popular anymore. There isn't a real reason why I do this, I think it's just because I don't have the time to keep up with most current series. And they tend to go on FOREVER, which I really hate!

If I have to pick one, it is Pokémon. I watch it all the time and it's one of the few animes that I go back and watch over and over, and actually still follow! Some runners up: Neko Ramen, +Anima, Speed Racer, Ouran High School Host Club, Excel Saga, FMA:Brotherhood, Wolf's Rain. Mostly any series I own.

I have to agree with Josephine here and say Digimon. I watched it a lot growing up, I had friends who were hardcore fans too, and it just has more emotion to me, more than Pokémon. Also, my first popular character shrines were Digimon ones!

Anyone hear of Neko Ramen? Anyone? Does it count for Manga? It's so funny and awesome and I love it. Also, sometimes I feel like most of the stuff I like is unpopular anyway. HAHA.
Shiori

Post by Shiori »

Aku wrote:I'm soooo pumped for the game! Still wary about the anime--I think Jojo has stood as primarily a manga so long for a reason, but I'll definitely be checking it out. xD
I kind of just want to hear how the seiyuu go, but otherwise I'm a tad skeptical re: the anime. Still, think of the merchandise! (This is the thought I tend to cling to when stuff I like gets adapted for TV. IT MIGHT BE CRAP, BUT PRODUCTS!)
Juhi

Post by Juhi »

I could say Gundam Unicorn, though its releases are so widely spaced apart. The last notable series I kept up with are TIGER&BUNNY and Fate/zero.

For anime, Slayers and Shoujo Kakumei Utena. For manga, Chrno Crusade and Magic Knight Rayearth.

Slayers was one of the first fandoms I entered. I made a fansite based on it and spent shitloads of moolah on merchandise.

A lot of the series I tend to like are not the most popular. Two series that come to mind are Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto and Saber Marionette J.