Manhwa + manhua

Everything around Japanese animation and comics.
anon

Manhwa + manhua

Post by anon »

Aside from manga, has anyone else delved into other Asian graphic novels, like manhua and manhwa? Pro-tip: before anyone else asks, they are all cognates of the same thing (comics) but are written differently in respects to the country of origin's romanization conventions. In this case manhua = Chinese graphic novels, manhwa = Korean graphic novels.

I so far have not found a manhua I liked but Billion Princess looks promising, and the art looks lovely. Hopefully it won't turn out to be some sort of melodrama or whatever.

As for manhwa, I've kind of had a hard time finding something to read because I dislike the art but the ones that do strike my fancy are Pink Lady and Vanilla Frosting.

Can anyone recommend me something? Haha. I like slice-of-life/romances taking place in a modern setting since I really can't relate very much to fantasy settings.
Kibumie

Re: Manhwa + manhua

Post by Kibumie »

I've only read a handful of manhwa series. I've read them from Yen + magazine couple of years back. My most favorite is Time and Time Again which is in a supernatural setting. I've read Pig Bride and Sarasah too. :blush: I've finished reading Pig Bride ( it's cute, it's in the modern setting but it's fantasy-ish ), and I'm still waiting for the continuation releases for Sarasah ( starts in modern time but moves to the time of the Three Kingdoms of Korea, 50 AD or something ). Sadly, Sarasah has been on hiatus for 2 years as of today. :puff: I've read a couple more but I would say that Time and Time Again and Sarasah are my favorites. :heh:

Goong is also a popular Korean manhwa. It also had a live action adaption. It's in the modern setting but surrounds the Korean Royal family.
aminuet .。. king
anon

Post by anon »

Thanks for the rec, Kibumie! I'll look for Goong and see if I like it.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I stated reading a... I think it was Chinese not sure, but it wasn't Japanese. I can't remember the title but it involved a guy who was bad at dating sims who had to win the heart of a robot girl in a live version of something like that. It was during my try anything once online manga hunt. I never read much beyond a chapter or two.