Manga TO Novels - Novels TO Manga

Everything around Japanese animation and comics.
Saya

Manga TO Novels - Novels TO Manga

Post by Saya »

I was thinking after Friday when I got my XXXHOLiC: Another Holic Novel, which is based on CLAMP's XXXHOLiC manga.

Do any of you read Japanese novels that are somehow tied to manga, like they came out because the manga was popular or the novel was popular so they made a manga?.

I'm mostly involved to Japanese Novels whit Yaoi, so those I read are Yaoi, Another holic is the first one that it isn't.

My favorites are Junai Romantica (those are the Novels that are connected to Junjou Romantica, and it's like the novels that in the manga Usami writes, he also writes Junai Egoist)

And I loved S, which means I need to put my hands on the other volumes of S, because that novel is just awesome =)
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
anon

Re: Manga TO Novels - Novels TO Manga

Post by anon »

Aaah, light novel adaptations! I've read the Vampire Knight light novel (the one that focused on Aidou). I know that the author of the novel usually isn't the manga artist and has artistic freedom to do whatever he or she wants (though I'm pretty sure the manga artist gets to oversee the novel and see what parts are appropriate), but sometimes it just comes out weird. I mean, the light novel I read had all these cliche endings and it was just like, geez dude you need a new writer for this novel.

I've been meaning to get the Ojamajo Doremi 16 novels for the nostalgic factor but money's a little tight right now and my proficiency in Japanese isn't good to take on mostly text-based printed mediums. All this talk kind of makes me want to get the light novels for Strobe Edge and Ao Haru Ride. They include illustrations by Io Sakisaka that haven't been found in the manga. I liked what I saw in some of them. If only she would release an artbook. :(
Saya

Post by Saya »

Yeah, I love the fact that Mamiya Oki, who does mostly Illustrations for Novels has an artbook, because it would be really a shame not be able to see all of that stuff.

I also would love to read so many Novels, but not being good in Japanese it just makes me cry, and try to find as much stuff in English, but by my luck those in which I'm really interested... are not translated *goes cry in a corner*
Shiori

Post by Shiori »

I love manga (or anime) to light novel adaptations. So far nothing has been able to beat the Blood+ light novels for me (they are SO HILARIOUSLY AWFUL) but the Akihabara Dennou Gumi light novel side stories are a lot of fun (for both the right and wrong reasons). Sadly I haven't read too many legitimately good ones, so I look on the bright side of the crappy ones. :heh:
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I haven't read any light novels but I would definitely be interested in it! There are some anime that I've watched that I found out they are based off of Light Novels. I'd like to read "Our Home's Fox Deity", which also has a manga adaption, because the anime sort of cut off and the novels keep going. There was a lot of potential there that I enjoyed but it sort of fizzled out. :C
Shiori

Post by Shiori »

Destinie wrote:I haven't read any light novels but I would definitely be interested in it! There are some anime that I've watched that I found out they are based off of Light Novels. I'd like to read "Our Home's Fox Deity", which also has a manga adaption, because the anime sort of cut off and the novels keep going. There was a lot of potential there that I enjoyed but it sort of fizzled out. :C
The earlier posts in this thread refer more to light novels that were written to tie in with pre-existing franchises, rather than light novels on which anime adaptations were based. Light novels that were churned out due to the popularity of an existing manga series, for example (d.Gray-man / Death Note). It definitely can go the other way though (as the thread title implies) with series like OreImo / Kure-nai / Wagaya no Oinari-sama getting manga adaptations and eventual anime adaptations too. If something is popular in one form it makes sense to try to cash in on it in another form lol.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I listened to the Crimson Obsession light novel which is the... um... 13th? Slayers novel? It was made into manga and there's an anime, but it doesn't include the plot of the novel. I want to find the other novels in English, but haven't been really making a huge effort yet... I should go have a talk with Google about that. I especially want to find the light novel where Milgazia & Memphis join Lina & Gourry since I'm such a Milgazia fan and I want to see him (er listen to him) using the Zelas Phalanx spell. That's pretty much my only light novel experienced, though if I could find some more based on series I like, I would definitely want to listen to them. I love listening to stories. ^^
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

I don't mind if the novel is tied to manga or not. And I've only read a couple of novels, Only the Ring Finger Knows (even though I'm missing a volume) and Cold Sleep. Both of which are Yaoi. Though that XXXHOLiC ones sounds really awesome. Will you let me know if it's good, Saya?
;o; *** pew! pew!
Saya

Post by Saya »

Cherri wrote:I don't mind if the novel is tied to manga or not. And I've only read a couple of novels, Only the Ring Finger Knows (even though I'm missing a volume) and Cold Sleep. Both of which are Yaoi. Though that XXXHOLiC ones sounds really awesome. Will you let me know if it's good, Saya?
As soon as I read it, I'll tell you if it's good =)

I also read mostly yaoi novels =)
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

All right, thank you so much.

Same. I have a few series of yaoi manga too. Or at least shounen-ai or boy love, which ever you want to call it. I should fine that last volume I need for Only The Ring Finger Knows, I think it's one of the ones in the middle.
;o; *** pew! pew!