Eden of the East

Everything around Japanese animation and comics.
earthy

Eden of the East

Post by earthy »

Wowza, have any of you seen Eden of the East? Just finished watching it--what a fun series! The follow-up movies are pretty disappointing, but the series itself is great: good animation, interesting plot, fun characters, lovely voice acting. And yet its fanbase online seems to be completely non-existent....
anon

Re: Eden of the East

Post by anon »

I watched it like a couple of years ago, but didn't watch the concluding films. Are they really that bad? I'll take your word for it and not watch them, then.

I remember singing the opening theme song all day long to the point my family got sick of it. My mom, for one, absolutely hates "Falling Down" because she's Christian and got mad over the lyrics, "I tried to talk to God to no avail / Calling him in and out of nowhere / I said, if you won't save me, please don't waste my time."

I absolutely love the animation. Everything felt pretty realistic, from the settings and the voice acting (thank goodness they actually used voice actors native in English for the New York scenes... adds to the atmospheric touch). I also enjoyed the freedom the animators had with the ending sequence; it was pretty creative.

I think the reason why the online fanbase is "completely non-existent" is because the franchise has basically ended and there's really nothing to look forward to in the series anymore. Or maybe because the concluding films killed any interest the fans had. :O
Shiori

Post by Shiori »

I watched it as it was airing and I'm afraid I didn't get into it at all. The first couple of episodes were quaint and the animation was decent, but the characters grated on me and as much as I've enjoyed previous works by Kamiyama, EoE really lacked subtlety (in its message, the handling of said message, and eventual direction). Idk, it just didn't gel for me.

Most noitaminA shows have limited fanbases due to a combination of their length and the lack of an extended franchise, as Joe said. Even the more recent pandering noitaminA shows like Guilty Crown (that actually have additional adaptations and moeblob Goldeens for heroines) have only been able to maintain limited fanbases when compared to series in mainstream time slots (and by extension, larger and broader audiences). For an original noitaminA show though, EoE did pretty well and reached quite a decent international audience -- at least when compared with other original shows in the same time slot.
earthy

Post by earthy »

Oh, it definitely has its flaws (the "resolution" of some of the Deeply Mysterious Plot Points make absolutely no sense even with the addition of the two movies, random plot threads are dropped all over the place, and I never really did get why Takizawa kept erasing his memory except maybe because amnesia plots are fun?)

But I thought the animation was great, and the characters were charming. (Adding a vote for awesomeness in actually using native English speakers for American roles.) And the Oasis song is certainly on infinite repeat on my playlist currently. <.< >.>

It's been awhile since I saw a new-to-me anime, so I was pleased to pick up one that tickled my fancy, issues and all. Might even do a site for it at some point.