Pre-2000's Anime

Everything around Japanese animation and comics.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Re: Pre-2000's Anime

Post by dubiousdisc »

I think almost all of my favorites are pre-2000 XD
mostly because here in the 90s we got so many anime on tv here that almost everything you could watch WAS an anime anyway so I grew up with them

and I mean I watched plenty of anime with my family fdghjk

I'd say two of my biggest favorites are Lupin III and Heidi...I have to rewatch Versailles no Bara but that one was another great one...I recently rewatched Mahojin Guru Guru in all its parodic glory...Pollon, Slump & Arale, that crazy comedic stuff...then of course Detective Conan...Digimon Adventure, okay...oh right Medabots :D

I'm certainly overlooking some stuff :B
Aku

Post by Aku »

I am all about pre-2000 (or heck, pre-90s!) anime. XD Gimme old school mecha (Gundam, Macross) and Shounen Jump (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Dragonball, YYH) any day!

I like a lot of new anime as well, but there is a certain charm to older anime that just can't be matched. Honestly though, I think a lot of it is just nostalgia, or the nostalgic feeling that anime from that era gives. We always tend to like stuff better that we enjoyed as kids, right? There's a great article somewhere about nostalgia and how it messes with our perception of quality: I'm not sure I agree with it 100%, but it's a really fascinating read. If I can find it again I'll link it here. XD;
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Speaking for myself, though, I think regardless of nostalgia I have a problem with how crisp anime looks like now. I am also a big sucker for things with "sketchy" linearts, so I tend to like older stuff more since that was rather common back then. I don't know - I don't particularly care for the series on its own, but like, Tiger Mask has an art style I find absolutely delightful. Nowadays, most anime tends to have a perfectly regular lineart, which is something that turns me off so much...
Aku

Post by Aku »

dubiousdisc wrote:Speaking for myself, though, I think regardless of nostalgia I have a problem with how crisp anime looks like now. I am also a big sucker for things with "sketchy" linearts, so I tend to like older stuff more since that was rather common back then.
So really, it's more about aesthetic for you, which is something I find interesting because I am also very much like this. XD It's like the element of "the hand" isn't there like it used to be. It's funny, because awhile back there was a chapter of Gintama that came out which had clearly not been finished and touched up by the staff... people complained about it and mocked Sorachi's laziness, but there was something so human in that chapter that I found so charming. To be honest, I'm a fan of a lot of doujinshi because artists are not so precise and aren't afraid to leave trails of their process.

On the topic of art, one thing that bothers me in a lot of anime recently are those really awk transitions from traditional animation to 3D-rendered CG. I can't remember what I saw it in just a few days ago (I think it was SKET Dance?), but it was so poorly done that it interrupted the watching experience. There are series that do it well though. A lot of mech anime use it, but it's really gorgeously executed in the Macross Frontier series & movies especially.
Eden

Post by Eden »

I too tend to wear nostalgia goggles. Primarily towards Sailor Moon, Dragonball/Z and Outlaw Star. A number of things I've watched are those, Tenchi Muyo (series, all of them), and a handful of others. These shows are a little more than nostalgic for me since these shows are what kept me going as a kid. They were almost like my friends. I own each of these shows and its become tradition to watch them once a year (or more) because they give me happy memories.
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
anon

Post by anon »

Aku wrote:On the topic of art, one thing that bothers me in a lot of anime recently are those really awk transitions from traditional animation to 3D-rendered CG. I can't remember what I saw it in just a few days ago (I think it was SKET Dance?), but it was so poorly done that it interrupted the watching experience. There are series that do it well though. A lot of mech anime use it, but it's really gorgeously executed in the Macross Frontier series & movies especially.
Oh, yes, I get what you mean. A lot of magical girl shows these days use it for action sequences and it's just like AGHHHHHH IT LOOKS SO DUMB THAT IT LOOKS SO BAD. Likeeee Kirarin Revolution used to be animated in 2D but when they wanted to cash in on the show and made a sequel, it was 3D and it was like, you guys completely ruined the show. And the dance sequences for Pretty Rhythm and Lilpri... SMH so hard.

I also do agree that we tend to think something is better because we grew up with it and have a fonder attachment to them. It's been like this for a long time, especially since I hear people complain about music sucking today. Actually, I hear this every single day because if it's "now" it's "bad."
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Aku: Yes pretty much everything you've said. XD I am a big fan of the aesthetic of "freshness", so to speak.

As for the CG transitions - I think they're getting less bad as animators are figuring that stuff out but I do remember something in a Hokuto no Ken movie (a ship?) that was so bad, SO BAD, that it completely got me out of the experience. Some uses were so awful that back in the early 2000s they made me straight out hate CG. D:

Joe: About the CURRENT STUFF ALL SUCKS GAAH, yeah, usually my answer is, then you must not be listening to enough music / watching enough stuff / reading enough stuff / etc. because that's not true. Every age has had its share of shit, but that eventually got forgotten, and the good stuff is what survived.
Shiori

Post by Shiori »

Joe wrote:I also do agree that we tend to think something is better because we grew up with it and have a fonder attachment to them. It's been like this for a long time, especially since I hear people complain about music sucking today. Actually, I hear this every single day because if it's "now" it's "bad."
I think I might be the only one who isn't nostalgic for the old school animation. Then again, I enjoyed some of the ugliest shows from the 80's-90's so visuals don't matter that much for me in any era lol.

There's a lot that's changed, industry-wise, between "now" and "then". Series length, audiences, and industry-wide financial changes have helped facilitate a shift in the anime landscape (so to speak). Nostalgia is undoubtedly part of the issue for those who grew up watching older anime series, but major industry differences likely factor in as well.
anon

Post by anon »

Shiori wrote:There's a lot that's changed, industry-wise, between "now" and "then". Series length, audiences, and industry-wide financial changes have helped facilitate a shift in the anime landscape (so to speak). Nostalgia is undoubtedly part of the issue for those who grew up watching older anime series, but major industry differences likely factor in as well.
Ah, that thought never crossed my mind and I feel really dumb now. You do raise a good point in the marketing production itself. :D
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I liked Digimon Adventure ^_^ everything except the end of 02. I lost interest in Digimon after that. I tried to watch a few episodes of the next one (Tamers was it?) but it didn't hold my attention. I got into the first one and that was it.

I thought Paradise Kiss was okay, but didn't like it much... I liked the opening song though.

I like the crisp lines best with the vivid colors after everything is shiny. *.* so pretty, I love it. Though Slayers Next and Try are my favorites in terms of plot, I like the art of Revolution way better. Another example is Madoka Magica and how beautiful everything is, even the background that would have been washed out, dull or sketchy in the past are gorgeous in this anime. Then there's the funky special effects in the battles. I'm not a huge fan of those when it's used as much as in Monte Cristo, but in moderation like in Madoka, I enjoy it.