Pre-2000's Anime

Everything around Japanese animation and comics.
Destinie

Re: Pre-2000's Anime

Post by Destinie »

Man, one reason I loved Gankutsuo is because they put those crazy patterns on EVERYTHING. The story is a bit dull but the art is pretty sweet. Sketchy art styles remind me of classic Disney animation, I totally miss that.

For Anime I really grew up on: Maya the Bee (Man, anyone remember this? I looked it up one day and found out it was an anime and was like "ALL MY CHILDHOOD IS FROM JAPAN!"), Pokemon, Digimon, Outlaw Star, etc etc. I loved going back and watching classic Slayers because it's so ridiculous and hilarious. I love when Anime doesn't take itself seriously. (Fish dude, ilu)
Shiori

Post by Shiori »

Joe wrote:Ah, that thought never crossed my mind and I feel really dumb now. You do raise a good point in the marketing production itself. :D
You're not dumb, I'm just sad enough to be interested in media audience theory lol. There have been some huge industry changes over the past decade and yeah, they might well account for a lot of the issues people have with recent series. Show lengths have changed, audiences have changed, all that stuff. While there were shifts in previous decades, the industry blow-out and the recent emphasis on the otaku market really mark the past five to ten years as being noticeably different in scope to previous ones. You get fluctuations like that in lots of different media industries and anime definitely isn't alone on rapid changes over the past decade. I do still think nostalgia plays a role for older fans though, definitely. Fond childhood memories of shows are difficult to shake!
Destinie wrote:Man, one reason I loved Gankutsuo is because they put those crazy patterns on EVERYTHING. The story is a bit dull but the art is pretty sweet. Sketchy art styles remind me of classic Disney animation, I totally miss that.
I have a design sketch book released by the Gankutsuou production staff and just omfg, it is all of the amazing. I'm a huge huge huge fan of settei and their work did not disappoint. I'd definitely recommend checking some of the production art books for the series out, if nothing else the visuals were fantastic (particularly for Gonzo). Plus Anna Sui designs. Aww yeah.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Shiori wrote:
Destinie wrote:Man, one reason I loved Gankutsuo is because they put those crazy patterns on EVERYTHING. The story is a bit dull but the art is pretty sweet. Sketchy art styles remind me of classic Disney animation, I totally miss that.
I have a design sketch book released by the Gankutsuou production staff and just omfg, it is all of the amazing. I'm a huge huge huge fan of settei and their work did not disappoint. I'd definitely recommend checking some of the production art books for the series out, if nothing else the visuals were fantastic (particularly for Gonzo). Plus Anna Sui designs. Aww yeah.
I need to check it out, I LOVE Production artwork. It's just fun to see where they start and where they end up.
Shiori

Post by Shiori »

Destinie wrote:I need to check it out, I LOVE Production artwork. It's just fun to see where they start and where they end up.
Production artwork is my favourite, that's why I tend to use character designs and the like in my layouts. Looooove them. This is the specific Gankutsuou book I own. It's not very long, but hnnng the designs contained within. I only wish more series staff put out books like Curtain Call.

/ramble
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Destinie wrote:For Anime I really grew up on: Maya the Bee (Man, anyone remember this? I looked it up one day and found out it was an anime and was like "ALL MY CHILDHOOD IS FROM JAPAN!")
YES I WATCHED THAT A LOT it was a very cute show :D
Aku

Post by Aku »

dubiousdisc wrote:
Destinie wrote:For Anime I really grew up on: Maya the Bee (Man, anyone remember this? I looked it up one day and found out it was an anime and was like "ALL MY CHILDHOOD IS FROM JAPAN!")
YES I WATCHED THAT A LOT it was a very cute show :D
WAIT SHUT THE FRONT DOOR, Maya the Bee was an anime?! I hardly remember it anymore, but there are home videos of me watching this cartoon and singing along to the opening lol (which I... do remember, strangely enough). Born to love anime I guess~~

Strangely enough, my favorite animated movie from childhood, "Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland" I also found out recently was done by a Japanese animation studio. (Though looking back on it, it's really not that surprising. XD)
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I remember Maya the Bee! I also didn't know it was an anime until much later. There was also Little Bits, I didn't know that was anime either. Nemo! Such a fun movie. :D I think of both the boy and the fish when someone says Nemo.
Kibumie

Post by Kibumie »

Rurouni Kenshin and Slam Dunk for me! And the others are Doreamon, Ranma 1/2, CCS, and TakoyakiMantoman. :blush:
aminuet .。. king
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Rurouni Kenshin and Ranma 1/2 are still some of my top favorites. ^_^
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Aku wrote:Strangely enough, my favorite animated movie from childhood, "Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland" I also found out recently was done by a Japanese animation studio. (Though looking back on it, it's really not that surprising. XD)
AH! Nemo, seriously. ;w; I loved that movie but I couldn't watch it often because Cherri didn't enjoy it. I'm just nostalgia tripping hearing the name. xD
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.