Anime that break tropes

Everything around Japanese animation and comics.
Destinie

Anime that break tropes

Post by Destinie »

...Or make fun of them!

I'm curious if anyone can recommend or would like to discuss these sorts of animes because I am personally very interested in them. It seems that a lot of anime I watch, particularly in a single genre, all carry the same tropes. Tropes are useful because it lets you easily and quickly understand what that character is like. But I really like when anime breaks them or makes a parody of them.

My favorite anime that does this is Ouran High School Host Club. But they embrace and play up the trope and then turn around and just throw you for a loop. I liked how High School Earth Defense Club Love! played with the tropes from the Mahou Shojo Genre.

Most recently I am watch Oremonogatari and I think this blends two different genres but kind of breaks various tropes as well, not as blatantly as other anime as I think it still relies on some but it is interesting and entertaining because it isn't the typical love story.

I would love to see a harem anime that breaks the harem formula, actually.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Re: Anime that break tropes

Post by nyxmidnight »

Destinie wrote:I would love to see a harem anime that breaks the harem formula, actually.
May be because I'm not super familiar with the genre, but how would that work? Orgypile?
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
anon

Post by anon »

Have you watched Gintama? Half of the episode is often making fun of tropes.

Zetsubou-sensei is arguably a black comedy version of the "teacher reforms unlikely students" series and makes fun of tropes too.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I thought Puella Magi Madoka Magica put an interesting twist in the magical girl genre. In a smaller scale maybe even Princess Tutu due to the final pairings and ending.
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

Most definitely Gekkan Shojo Nozaki-kun! :D
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Oh yeah! I loved Nozaki-kun! I felt like it took a while to get into it because there were so many characters. I wish there was another season. ;o;
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

There's a manga for it :D
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.