Currently Reading

Everything around Japanese animation and comics.
Shiori

Re: Currently Reading

Post by Shiori »

Mikari wrote:I watched the anime but it was kind of left hanging at the end, kind of like an introduction rather than a series.
Yeah the Gunnm anime barely covers the introductory arc of the first manga series. Definitely track down the manga (and its follow-up) if you want more Gally.
anon

Post by anon »

Sarah wrote:I guess it shouldn't be too surprising. After all, Keroppi had an anime series. (I actually own two videos of it.) And now I'm imagining all sorts of musical groups starring in their own manga, haha!
Sugar Bunnies had their own anime series, Jewelpet had their own anime series... basically anything companies can make money off of with merchandising can be made into an animated series. Have you heard of Pretty Rhythm, Fashionable Witches Love and Berry, and Hime Chen? All of these were arcade games at first but someone up high went DURHURHUR LET'S SEE HOW MUCH PROFIT WE CAN RAKE IN BY TURNING THEM INTO ANIME AND THEN GETTING LITTLE 10 YEAR OLDS TO BUY OUR TOYS.

And the musical groups don't really star in manga; a lot of celebrity cameos were huge pointless cameos where they help the main characters or something. Like w-inds. in Tokyo Style Bomb, Dori Sakurada in Mitsukoi Honey... etc. I also remember Ya-ya-yahs (the Japanese boy band) got a cameo in a manga, Hey! Say! Jump did too, and so did Fairies. Ohohoho I'm just rambling now.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

OFF TOPIC: Speaking of bands and Mangas, I saw years ago that L'arc-en-ciel had their own video game...is that a popular thing for JPop bands?
anon

Post by anon »

Destinie wrote:OFF TOPIC: Speaking of bands and Mangas, I saw years ago that L'arc-en-ciel had their own video game...is that a popular thing for JPop bands?
If they're super popular yeah. IIRC AKB48 had tons of stuff based off of them.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Wow. They sure now how to market...
anon

Post by anon »

Destinie wrote:Wow. They sure now how to market...
Yup, I've noticed that Japanese celebrities have a certain image they need to keep up. That particular image becomes very marketable and panders towards a niche audience, and if it's obvious the "character" that the celebrity portrays becomes popular, that's where we get all those keychains and body pillows and etc.
Ava

Post by Ava »

Marketing savvy is not limited to Japanese idols. Musicians all over from the Spice Girls in the late 90s, to the Disney tween queens of the recent times, and Korean celebrities who are under constant scrutiny. A lot of entertainers take their image beyond their typecasting and they end up burning out from having to play the role constantly.
Dreams are meaningful when you work toward them in the real world.
If you merely live within the dreams of other people, it's no different from being dead.
anon

Post by anon »

Ava wrote:Marketing savvy is not limited to Japanese idols. Musicians all over from the Spice Girls in the late 90s, to the Disney tween queens of the recent times, and Korean celebrities who are under constant scrutiny. A lot of entertainers take their image beyond their typecasting and they end up burning out from having to play the role constantly.
That goes without saying.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Keeping up weekly with Katekyou Hitman Reborn!

Really need to get to reading Trinity Blood, xXxholic, and Zombie Loan since I have all the volumes. I also believe that the Sailor Moon 7 was released recently, so I need to pick that up too. :3
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I read all of Zombie Loan online. Snowy you need to read it, the weird plot twists are... well weird, but amusing. XD