Sailor Moon Crystal vs. Original Sailor Moon?

Everything around Japanese animation and comics.
Robin
Events Staffer

Sailor Moon Crystal vs. Original Sailor Moon?

Post by Robin »

A good friend of mine recently introduced me to Sailor Moon Crystal, and so far I enjoy it, but I'm wondering how it compares to the original Sailor Moon anime released back in the 90s. Thoughts/opinions?

(I was of an age to watch the original Sailor Moon anime, but the networks around home put it on at butt o' clock in the morning--like 6:30 or something--on Sunday mornings, so I never got to see it much.)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Mikari

Re: Sailor Moon Crystal vs. Original Sailor Moon?

Post by Mikari »

The original was a lot longer with more filler and some different details, but not that different in its core. The biggest difference I see is Rei, but maybe I'm just giving her extra attention because she's one of my favorites. I've been writing reviews for all the Crystal episodes so far and compare them to the originals, you can see them here (The site is still a wip, but I have reviews for the first 6 episodes and will be writing one for 7 soon.)
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Awesome! I found your site to be super-informative on the series so far--can't wait to see what you add next! :) (I'm like you, I liked Quiet!Rei, even though I didn't watch the original series enough to know what Original!Rei was like xD)
withinmyworld.org
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Thank you! :D Snow and Cherri will be adding their own content later too, as soon as life gives them some time. We'll basically write about anything Sailor Moon related that comes to mind.

Rei is awesome in all the forms I've seen her take, including live!Rei, though I haven't really spoken about the live action series on the site yet, I'll probably write about it later.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

YAY! I didn't even know there was a live-action Sailor Moon!

<--Sailor Moon noob (Moonoob?)
withinmyworld.org
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

It was never translated and it's not as well known as the animated version. The plot turns out to be pretty different towards the end. I guess they were trying to give it an original twist. I feel as if they recycled the monster costumes from Power Rangers. XD There were rumors that Disney wanted to pick it up a few years back, but they couldn't obtain the toy selling rights so they didn't.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

LOL They might have recycled Power Rangers costumes! xD

A live-action Sailor Moon remake would be cool (esp. by Disney)...there's enough tiaras and sparklies for any Disney Princess movie fan. LOL
withinmyworld.org
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Who knows, they might have. I've heard a lot of sentai shows do that. XD

Disney has been improving with movies like Wreck it Ralph and Frozen lately, though I'll wait for the new Star Wars before deciding if I like them again or if those two were just exceptions. XD I'll stay hopeful for now.

I wish SMC would air more often, but there's good in the fact that it doesn't. I don't like subs (or reading in general) and too many episodes in a row would be too much to keep up with for my low sub tolerance. I started watching Star Driver months ago and only watch an episode every other week because I don't like subs.
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

Actually, I believe missdream.org has the entire live action series subbed and available for download. (They have the manga, too, and some of the musicals.)

So far SMC is, aside from a few minor changes, a fairly spot on adaptation of the manga. SMC has its faults, but it's a very different thing than the first anime, which only loosely told the story from the manga and was 90% filler (likely to keep up with the publication of the manga). So while it's possible to compare the two anime, I personally think it's better to look at the spirit of them: the first anime as a loose adaptation, SMC as a very tight retelling of the manga.
tonight fate is the
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Mikari I hear ya on subtitles--I can read subtitles okay because I'm used to running Closed Captioning on my TV at home, but it's weird to read one language and hear another at the same time, xD. (I have to use Closed Captioning, not because I'm hard of hearing, but because my brain is so ADD that it doesn't pay proper attention throughout an entire sentence...and whatever it didn't catch, it makes up something that kindasorta makes sense. Thus, CC lets me catch up on whatever I missed, LOL)

@Larissa Ah, okay, I see what you mean--definitely SMC feels faster-paced and tidier than the couple of original SM episodes I watched to compare. (Also, 10000% MORE SPARKLES...and SHINY MAKEUP!! xD)
withinmyworld.org