Character death?

Everything around Japanese animation and comics.
Puppeteer

Re: Character death?

Post by Puppeteer »

Shounen manga in general makes me very wary about character death, because while most of the time I do expect people to show up a few chapters later, it's just extra brutal when that character doesn't come back. A little consistency wouldn't hurt, you know. -_- Or, resurrecting a character that had been presumed dead for several chapters--makes me feel like my emotional trauma wasn't all that important.

As for Dragonball itself, I agree that after awhile I saw the death/resurrection aspects as simply part of the series' mechanics. Warriors are able to train and make themselves stronger while waiting to be resurrected, and most of the time that interim period is key to whatever arc they're in. It's funny, I've come to terms with DBZ's treatment of it, I can't imagine myself liking another series that relies so much on resurrection; maybe it's possessive nostalgia? lol
[People have a weakness for forbidden things.]
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

It depends on who the character is, if I like him/her, the way the character died, everything. I can't come up with a general answer because each situation is different. Even if it's a character I like if the death makes for a good story I might still be okay with it.
Kibumie

Post by Kibumie »

When it comes to a character's death. Light Yagami from Death Note is the first character I could think of. :blush: :music2:
aminuet .。. king
Shiori

Post by Shiori »

I'm generally pretty chill about characters biting the dust, even when they're the characters I love most. Usually they die for a reason or their deaths are heavily foreshadowed beforehand, but it still does kind of suck when they actually go and I am forced to experience FEELS. Unless their deaths are hilarious, of course. Then I will spend hours laughing at gifs of their demise on Tumblr (I'm looking at you, Blood-C. LOOKING AT YOU SO HARD.).
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Somehow I've never commented on this thread...?

The only Anime character death that really caught me off guard was Hughes in FMA. (I'm not even going to put that under a spoiler. I think everybody knows this by now.) I was upset by it in the way that the death of the character invoked some emotions in me. I actually appreciate it in the story line because it was a real driving force for Mustang in what he did and why. I think that aided to a lot of character development, so I appreciated it.

I guess a character death isn't something I'm too often moved by.
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

Mine was Ulquiorra in BLEACH. It moved me so much, even in the manga, which has no music (the music just makes it worse in the anime [but not in a bad way]). His death hit me so hard because I found him incredibly interesting and the way he died from Hollow!Ichigo just tore me apart. The way he reached out and asked Orihime if she was afraid of him also hit me hard. The way Kubo executed it was so raw with emotion that I needed to take a break from reading for several minutes.
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
Stefi
Administrator

Post by Stefi »

I think that, for me, a character's death isn't really important in moving the story line 'forward' or plot-related, but how the characters around him/her are affected from that point on. I'm more interested on a character's development and outlook on life afterwards because it mirrors our own personal experiences in the real world.

Personally, I think most good authors have some sort of similar thought in mind whenever they decide to kill off someone. And I think that its totally cool in terms of thinking about why we're emotionally affected by a character death. At the same time, as the audience, emotional attachment to a character sometimes removes people from trying to understand the purpose of their death, which usually isn't obvious until the aftermath, or somewhere else down the story.
Varen

Post by Varen »

I know it's really loling, but the only death that comes to my mind is Lelouch's in Code Geass. Not counting the ridiculous way he falled, or even the whole thing behind his scheme, but honestly, it was Nunnally's sorrow that really really got to me. It was just so upsetting that Lelouch did all these crazy things just for me, and yet all she begs was that she was happy with her cruel circumstances as long as he was alive. The music didn't help either.

I definitely agree with Stefi about the concept of character death, not sure how to add to that haha.
Iris-NoireORG
wasting internet space until i get motivation again
GeorgyBoy

Post by GeorgyBoy »

I don't like when mainhero in anime dies.
That's not cool :(

Logo Design