Best series & favorite series?

Everything around Japanese animation and comics.
Larissa
Time Traveler

Best series & favorite series?

Post by Larissa »

I've been thinking about this lately (mostly because I just reread Bakuman, haha) and I'm curious: what do you think is the best anime/manga series you've read/watched, and which is your favorite?

Obviously these are really subjective questions and there's no right answer, it's all based on what you think makes a series the best. Does it have the best plot? The best characters? The best artwork?

Same thing for what makes something your favorite: does it have a lot of personal meaning for you? Is it something you read or saw as a kid, so it's really nostalgic? Is it something you've followed for years?

Just curious, and wondering what everybody's favorites are!

Handy list (feel free to quote and answer):
  • Best manga:
  • Favorite manga:
  • Best anime:
  • Favorite anime:
===

My answers:
  • Best manga: Fullmetal Alchemist
  • Favorite manga: Sailor Moon
  • Best anime: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
  • Favorite anime: Digimon Adventure
FMA is kind of a shoe-in for me since I really love its plot and storytelling, haha. In truth though I haven't seen that many anime series (I read more manga than I watch anime) so I don't have a wide range to pick from in that category, but I honestly can't think of anything I consider better as a whole.

My favorites are completely nostalgia based; I did get into Sailor Moon through the anime but it was the manga that I've read over and over again and that shaped my childhood. As for Digimon - I've been a Digimon nerd since I was like 9 and when I rewatched it last year I enjoyed it just as much.
tonight fate is the
neo

Re: Best series & favorite series?

Post by neo »

I have watched and liked FMA, but I just didn't get into it as much as everyone else around me .__. I love Digimon and Sailor Moon though!

Hmmm..

Best manga: Jing: King of Bandits
Favorite manga: Slam Dunk / Ookiku Furikabutte (I can't pick between these two, sorry ;o;)
Best anime: Mushishi
Favorite anime: Slayers

- Those three mangas really stick with me. I read Jing in highschool, but it was easily the best I've read because I loved the art style and the story telling.
- Slam Dunk & Ookiku Furikabutte...I just can't pick between these two at all. Both incite a lot of emotion from me. They make me laugh, cry, become depressed and get excited - I just. I just can't.
- Mushishi is seriously the most visually stunning anime I have ever seen. It's done so exceptionally well, it really has to be the best I've ever seen.
- Slayers, all of it's seasons and movies never get old. It's hilarious, emotive and has a high re-watch value ! I can't think of a character I don't like.
VICTORY WITH EVERYTHING WE HAVE
Tara
Freelance Staffer

Post by Tara »

I love finding out what everyone's favourite are, because it gives me more things to get into! Here's mine~
  • Best manga: Cardcaptor Sakura
    Favorite manga: Chobits
    Best anime: Blood+
    Favorite anime: Macross Frontier
Manga is a bit difficult for me, since I haven't read much manga at all, sadly. ): I hate reading it online, so I tend to stick to buying it. (That and all I read when I was a teen were shoujo's...) Buying manga is really expensive here in Canada, unless you can find sales... But I did read the CCS manga not long after the show aired over here when I was around 12 or 13. I read it with good ol' dial-up internet!

Chobits is a personal favourite for me because I loved the premise, but the anime didn't go in a direction I liked... I remember reading the entire thing in a small manga store back in my hometown. It was so good, and I vastly preferred the route the manga took. Chi is still one of my top cosplays I'd like to wear someday.

I have a huge anime history, so choosing was very difficult, but Macross holds a very special place in my heart. It has all the themes I love in an anime smooshed together, and I think it performed wonderfully! Not to mention I fell in love with nearly all of the main cast, which doesn't happen very often. Not to mention that the music was incredible! I'm still very frustrated that it never got licensed over here.

Blood+ makes it to the top of my list because it's the only anime with over 50 episodes that I couldn't stop watching, though FMA: Brotherhood comes in a very close second. Everything about it was just so good that it had me staying up until 6am watching it even though I had school the next day.
I used to practice smiling when i'm feeling sad, y'know.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Best manga: I don't really read manga much.
Favorite manga: None really?
Best anime: whatever holds my attention the longest XD
Favorite anime: Slayers, ..do I have to pick just one?
Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Samurai Pizza Cats, Ronin Warriors...
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

• Best manga: A Bride's Story
  • Favorite manga: +Anima (and/or) Neko Ramen
  • Best anime: Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood
  • Favorite anime: Ouran High School Host Club
OK. I had a really hard time picking out what the best manga I ever read was and then it hit me: A Bride's Story. This manga has beautiful art (I am SUPER picky about artwork even though I will read a lot of different manga), wonderfully written characters, an engaging story, and the author really did her research on the different cultures. It's almost like reading a documentary about these different people. And the story isn't typical "Oh no I am in an arranged marriage and I'm miserable", it's about this woman who was married to a boy half her age and she works to make the best of it. It's heart-warming and sweet and I would highly recommend it to everyone.

I have a lot of favorites. +Anima is probably my favorite I've read in a while because, again, beautiful art, story, characters, and everything. *gush*. I need to finish getting all the volumes...And Neko Ramen because it's about a cat that runs a ramen stand and it's super funny and cute.

I can't put FMA as my *favorite* anime but it definitely is the best I have seen in a looooong time. It gives me so many *feelings* when I watch it. It's done so well.

Ouran High School is my favorite because I watch it all the time. Sometimes I'm just in the mood to watch something sweet and goofy. I think I've seen every episode about a gazillion times. I really love comedies over hardcore serious stuff.