Fushigi Yuugi

Everything around Japanese animation and comics.
Mikari

Re: Fushigi Yuugi

Post by Mikari »

I started watching the series. I've seen 12 episodes so far. I feel sorry for Yui, but I do hope she and Miaka work things out. Chichiri is hilarious, just as I guessed he would be. I'm curious about the redhair guy that I've seen online, but hasn't been truly introduced on the show. I guess I'll find out later. The blond general from the other empire is also really cool, though I'm not sure how his character will develop. I do find the romance to be odd so far, I mean, I've seen characters get to like each other in the same amount of time in ways that feel more natural. Miaka and Tama just seem rushed, probably because they made them very dramatic and how is Yui in love with Tama, did they meet during the three months? Weren't they in different empires? I take it she just wants revenge on Miaka after thinking sh was abandoned and going through so much. Though it's nont perfect, I don't really expect it to be. I don't see it turning into a top favorite, but I think I will finish the series, and picky as I've become, that's saying plenty. Also I'll say it again, Chichiri is hilarious, I almost quit watching, then he showed up and I no longer doubted that I wanted to continue.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Kibumie wrote:In my opinion, I think the original series is great the way it is even though most of the non-Suzaku warriors have cooler powers than Tamahome and the gang lol. Yuu Watase was in her early 20s when she started with the series. So she wasn't as aware as she was with Takiko about portraying characters realistically. But in any case I think she portrayed Yui as a character who seemed strong but is actually pretty weak on the inside. I find that Yui's opinion of Miaka changed because she was afraid that Miaka would be taken away from her and at the start she was blinded by her anger. I think that Yui just wants Miaka by her side.

Instead of re-writing the first series, It would be cool if all the warriors would meet in the same timeline for some special story of some sort. Just to see them interact with each other. I really like how Tomite and Hikitsu met the Suzaku warriors at some point in the story. It would be nice if Nuriko would meet Uruki.. LOL..
Yeah, you're right, of course. XD But it'd still be interesting to see how she would deal with those characters now.

OMG Nuriko and Uruki... YES. I feel like Hotohori and Uruki would make some interesting conversation too. :)
Mikari wrote:I started watching the series. I've seen 12 episodes so far. I feel sorry for Yui, but I do hope she and Miaka work things out. Chichiri is hilarious, just as I guessed he would be. I'm curious about the redhair guy that I've seen online, but hasn't been truly introduced on the show. I guess I'll find out later. The blond general from the other empire is also really cool, though I'm not sure how his character will develop. I do find the romance to be odd so far, I mean, I've seen characters get to like each other in the same amount of time in ways that feel more natural. Miaka and Tama just seem rushed, probably because they made them very dramatic and how is Yui in love with Tama, did they meet during the three months? Weren't they in different empires? I take it she just wants revenge on Miaka after thinking sh was abandoned and going through so much. Though it's nont perfect, I don't really expect it to be. I don't see it turning into a top favorite, but I think I will finish the series, and picky as I've become, that's saying plenty. Also I'll say it again, Chichiri is hilarious, I almost quit watching, then he showed up and I no longer doubted that I wanted to continue.
The red haired dude is Tasuki and he doesn't appear until episode 14, Wolves in the Stronghold. :D He's even funnier than Chichiri. ;)

It's really fun seeing someone watch FY for the first time. XD Yui fell for Tamahome when she first met him, but I think the three months she was alone in Kutou gave her a lot of time to dwell on him. When Yui and Miaka first appeared, Tamahome saved them... when Yui appeared alone, no one saved her. So I imagine that she spent a lot of time dreaming about how she wished Tamahome could have been there and if he had, all of the stuff she went through could have been avoided.

I keep having to remind myself that they're teenagers and drama is par for the course. ^^;

Please post more about what you think when you watch more episodes, Mikari! :D I'm enjoying your opinions!
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I'm watching episode 26 now, totally burning through it :o Tasuki and Chichiri are my favorites. I didn't think Chichiri had such a deep past so that was pretty surprising. I'm waiting to see what else they reveal about Tasuki. It's starting to feel like a soap opera with Miaka and Tamahome, I can never take them serious, but that's part of what makes them amusing I guess. Now that there's a cute redhead on board, I'm getting more motivated to keep watching. XD I loled at Tamahome and Miaka's marriage proposal scene, I think she's too young too, but that's how it worked in the past. Then the whole abandon love thing, such teen drama, just wait till the mission's over sheesh, took them long enough to reach that solution.
neo

Post by neo »

Mikari wrote:I'm watching episode 26 now, totally burning through it :o Tasuki and Chichiri are my favorites. I didn't think Chichiri had such a deep past so that was pretty surprising. I'm waiting to see what else they reveal about Tasuki. It's starting to feel like a soap opera with Miaka and Tamahome, I can never take them serious, but that's part of what makes them amusing I guess. Now that there's a cute redhead on board, I'm getting more motivated to keep watching. XD I loled at Tamahome and Miaka's marriage proposal scene, I think she's too young too, but that's how it worked in the past. Then the whole abandon love thing, such teen drama, just wait till the mission's over sheesh, took them long enough to reach that solution.
That's totally true about Miaka and Tamahome. XD Honestly, I really have to appreciate their comedic relief (well, really all of the characters) considering the 'Yuu Watase curse' at the close of the anime. (don't go looking unless you appreciate spoilers).
I think the one thing I hate about Miaka is her eating. I know it's supposed to be funny, but I always found it so annoying XD. It seemed like it just popped up all of the time.

And, I actually didn't realize this, but:
Kibumie wrote: In my opinion, I think the original series is great the way it is even though most of the non-Suzaku warriors have cooler powers than Tamahome and the gang lol. Yuu Watase was in her early 20s when she started with the series. So she wasn't as aware as she was with Takiko about portraying characters realistically.
And, I would think that has an incredible lot to do with it now that that has been pointed out. Also, it might be that the targeted audience was a bit younger (teens)? Where drama is a bit more normal lol.

All-in-all I am glad to see that you are checking it out, it makes me want to rewatch or maybe even read the series since I haven't done that XD /lazy.
(Ahem, Tasuki <3)
VICTORY WITH EVERYTHING WE HAVE
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I like spoilers, but I've never heard of the curse before.

The blond general dude turned out to be a jerk, but I can appreciate him as a well done antagonist. XD Tasuki and Chichiri are still awesome. I'm on episode 34 now.
neo

Post by neo »

Well if you are interested: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YuuWatase
Second trope listed. As I said, a spoiler somewhat but it doesn't say who XD.

It's a recurring theme in a lot of her series (not all of them), which is why I said curse xD.
VICTORY WITH EVERYTHING WE HAVE
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I saw that trope happen, now that it has happened once, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again. I went into the series thinking it would be like other 90s series I watched and it does have similarities, but also plenty of differences.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Mikari wrote:I'm waiting to see what else they reveal about Tasuki.
They actually don't reveal anything about Tasuki's actual history in the series. I think you might get to meet his family in one of the OAVs, but everything about him is told via Genrou Den. I'm actually working on updating my 15 year old Tasuki shrine and I'm going over a lot of that information there so if you're still curious, check it out when I plug it once it's finished! :3
neo wrote:Well if you are interested: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YuuWatase
Second trope listed. As I said, a spoiler somewhat but it doesn't say who XD.

It's a recurring theme in a lot of her series (not all of them), which is why I said curse xD.
I'm dying at the list of tropes... oh my god. XD
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

The trope strikes again... I wonder who else will end up in it. Tasuki! <3 I'll definitely have to check out your site. I'm really burning through the episodes. I might finish the whole series between today and tomorrow. Then I'll look for the ovas & specials.
Kibumie

Post by Kibumie »

I do wish there was more backstory for Tasuki too. hehe.
aminuet .。. king