Fushigi Yuugi

Everything around Japanese animation and comics.
Laura

Fushigi Yuugi

Post by Laura »

It seems like there's a lot of FY fans here so I thought I'd create a thread for it! :)

Have you heard that Watase Yuu is going to be working on another FY prequel, this time for Byakko?? Oh maaaaaaaaan. It's supposed to come out in 2015 but there's no date set in stone yet. I'm super pumped for this because I really, really like Subaru (and Tokaki too, of course). I gotta admit, I really admire Watase-san's drive!! This is seriously a lot of content to go over but as a fan, I'm soooo grateful she's doing it. (I wish she'd do manga for more of the Suzaku and Seiryuu teams though~)

I'm actually reading Genbu Kaiden for the first time... wah! It's so cool to see Tomite and Hikitsu running around... and seeing Takiko's necklace before it became a shinzaho! *-* Total fan girl moments!

I actually instantly liked Uruki the moment I saw her and I was surprised to see her turn into a man (totally brings back memories of Ranma 1/2)~ Uruki and Takiko are both my favourite characters so far, but I really like Hikitsu too~ It's nice to see Takiko defending herself with her naginata... I actually DO like Miaka quite a bit, but it's refreshing to see a "normal" girl in this sort of series stand up for herself.

I also mentioned elsewhere that I had just read through all of the original FY manga again... Man, I was kind of surprised to see how.. well... kind of awful it was right at the start. XD;;; I definitely remember it being a LOT better initially; I felt that Miaka and Yui's love for Tamahome seemed really out of place. Like it developed way too fast and felt unrealistic, but I had to remind myself that Miaka had been inside the book for a couple months at that point. Also, they're 15 year olds. So actually, it turns out more realistic than anything else! XD haha

Naturally, by the time Tasuki comes along, the series is just as good as I remember. No bias here, nope. *cough* I'm finding myself almost wanting to make a Nuriko fan site too... god, I love the dynamics of the Suzaku warriors so much. XD

Anyway, thats probably enough gushing for me atm. XD
Mikari

Re: Fushigi Yuugi

Post by Mikari »

I saw it years ago and thought it looked cool, though by the time I was actually able to watch it some time had passes and I had become really picky. I didn't really get into it, but I didn't dislike it, I just wasn't drawn in, but I might give it another try later.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Yeah... I have to admit, the animation doesn't reaaaaally hold up too well. Some scenes in the anime look gorgeous and then some look really dated. I was looking at some dub clips recently and man... it was a really good dub for the 90's but it's pretty awful by today's standards. XD; I think I like the manga more, personally, but you should definitely watch it when you get the chance! It's a total classic. <3
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I remember thee used to be a lot of fansites in the past and some still survive. It took me long enough to watch Yu Yu Hakusho but I did, so maybe I'll get some extra time and fill it up by watching this in the future. Overall it kind of reminds me of Siaunkoku (I'm probably misspelling that) but I'm not really sure since I haven't actually watched it.
Tara
Freelance Staffer

Post by Tara »

I love Fushigi so much. I actually only watched in the past two years and all at once. It was so good, and I'm really excited for new stuff!! I should probably read the manga someday but the list of manga I need to read is getting ridiculous lol

Nuriko is my favourite... *v*
I used to practice smiling when i'm feeling sad, y'know.
neo

Post by neo »

I love Fushigi Yuugi!! Anything by Yuu Watase, really. John Green should take a lesson from her, XD.

As what Mikari said, I used to have a favorite website that was FY-related. I can't remember exactly what it was called, but it was geocities-based and had a long running fic with just Chichiri and Tasuki and adventures they went on. (WHYWHY would you close Geocities? / heartbreak)

Tasuki is my favorite ^-^.

I have only watched the anime. (I think I last watched in in early-2000's.) But, I still remember it fondly. :3 I am excited to know it will be continuing!
VICTORY WITH EVERYTHING WE HAVE
Kibumie

Post by Kibumie »

yoooo! Fushigi Yuugi~ I grew up with this series. I watched the first episode when I was 8 lol. :heart: :music: :music2:

me too.. I remember being so excited for Genbu Kaiden release when I was a teenager. lol. It was mentioned in the last volume of Genbu Kaiden in Yuu Watase's corner that she would be making the Byakko series. The ending was perfect but I feel like there are some rushed parts in it, but it's ok, it was still great. I remember being that little girl who is so hooked up with Tamahome, but I feel that I would prefer Hotohori now. haha. The Fushigi Yuugi world is great so I'm happy that Yuu Watase is still bringing the world back to life even if it takes many years. I also like the fact how Yuu Watase shows the change in development not only in the art but also how she envisions her characters. She's great that way. :blush:
aminuet .。. king
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Chchiri was the blue haired one, right? I remember seeing a lot of fansites for him. He seemed like a funny character, thinking about all this is making me curious again.

I miss geocities too. I had my oversized fanfiction/anime/game site there, and angelfire because it didn't all fit in out place, lol!
Laura

Post by Laura »

neo wrote:Tasuki is my favorite ^-^.
YAH! Tasuki fans unite! *high five* XD
Kibumie wrote:yoooo! Fushigi Yuugi~ I grew up with this series. I watched the first episode when I was 8 lol. :heart: :music: :music2:

me too.. I remember being so excited for Genbu Kaiden release when I was a teenager. lol. It was mentioned in the last volume of Genbu Kaiden in Yuu Watase's corner that she would be making the Byakko series. The ending was perfect but I feel like there are some rushed parts in it, but it's ok, it was still great. I remember being that little girl who is so hooked up with Tamahome, but I feel that I would prefer Hotohori now. haha. The Fushigi Yuugi world is great so I'm happy that Yuu Watase is still bringing the world back to life even if it takes many years. I also like the fact how Yuu Watase shows the change in development not only in the art but also how she envisions her characters. She's great that way. :blush:
Your Tamahome fan site... :heart: :heart: Muahaha! I love it! You know, I kind of have more appreciation for Hotohori now that I'm older too. Actually, I have a lot of different favourite characters from series I used to like, now that I think about it... but Hotohori and Nuriko are amazing.

I wonder if she will ever return to Suzaku and Seiryuu? I feel like I read an afterword from her in Genbu Kaiden or one of the novels that said she was going back to it, but it might have been to work on the last light novels to come out (Sanbou Den). In some ways, I almost wish that she would redo the original series. Not just because her art is so much better now, but more because the relationship that Yui and Miaka had was just so unrealistic now that I'm reading it again, especially compared to how Takiko is.

I mean... Yeah, I get it. Yui went through some craycray shiz when she came back into the book on her own, and Nakago worked his arse off for months to get her to seriously believe that Miaka forgot about her. But... 15 years of friendship vs 3 months... I DUNNO MAN. I want to just attribute it to the fact that they're teenagers, but so is Takiko and she seems way more mature. XD;
Mikari wrote:Chchiri was the blue haired one, right?
Yup! Chichiri was the blue-haired monk. :) He was pretty popular as a character, along with Nuriko and Tasuki.
Kibumie

Post by Kibumie »

wolfrun wrote:
Your Tamahome fan site... :heart: :heart: Muahaha! I love it! You know, I kind of have more appreciation for Hotohori now that I'm older too. Actually, I have a lot of different favourite characters from series I used to like, now that I think about it... but Hotohori and Nuriko are amazing.

I wonder if she will ever return to Suzaku and Seiryuu? I feel like I read an afterword from her in Genbu Kaiden or one of the novels that said she was going back to it, but it might have been to work on the last light novels to come out (Sanbou Den). In some ways, I almost wish that she would redo the original series. Not just because her art is so much better now, but more because the relationship that Yui and Miaka had was just so unrealistic now that I'm reading it again, especially compared to how Takiko is.

I mean... Yeah, I get it. Yui went through some craycray shiz when she came back into the book on her own, and Nakago worked his arse off for months to get her to seriously believe that Miaka forgot about her. But... 15 years of friendship vs 3 months... I DUNNO MAN. I want to just attribute it to the fact that they're teenagers, but so is Takiko and she seems way more mature. XD;
In my opinion, I think the original series is great the way it is even though most of the non-Suzaku warriors have cooler powers than Tamahome and the gang lol. Yuu Watase was in her early 20s when she started with the series. So she wasn't as aware as she was with Takiko about portraying characters realistically. But in any case I think she portrayed Yui as a character who seemed strong but is actually pretty weak on the inside. I find that Yui's opinion of Miaka changed because she was afraid that Miaka would be taken away from her and at the start she was blinded by her anger. I think that Yui just wants Miaka by her side.

Instead of re-writing the first series, It would be cool if all the warriors would meet in the same timeline for some special story of some sort. Just to see them interact with each other. I really like how Tomite and Hikitsu met the Suzaku warriors at some point in the story. It would be nice if Nuriko would meet Uruki.. LOL..
aminuet .。. king