Ghibli Films

Everything around Japanese animation and comics.
Destinie

Re: Ghibli Films

Post by Destinie »

@Neo So Earthsea is one of my favorite book series (I used to have a shrine up to Ged but took it down because I'm a dork) and I was quite literally raging at the television screen while watching the movie. The issue with that movie is Hayao Miyazaki originally wanted to do an Earthsea movie and Ursula K. LeGuin said "No". Then when she watched My Neighbor Totoro she changed her mind, but by that time he wasn't interested anymore, so his son took over the project. Apparently, he and his son got in a lot of fights and was angry at him for that project. And I could see why because it's completely...off. LeGuin said, "This isn't my book, this is your movie" stating that it deviated so far from her stories that it wasn't even Earthsea anymore. What they did in the making of that movie was they mashed parts from other books together. They used Tales from Earthsea, The Farthest Shore, and parts of The Tombs of Atuan. The dragon girl was a short story in the Tales book and the main character boy was Ged's pseudo-sidekick in the Farthest Shore. (Sorry, I'll stop here I just have to say that I really REALLY love these books.)

As for Ghibli movies, I've seen most of Miyazaki's work. I think the only ones I haven't seen are Whisper of the Heart, Lupin III (which was his first film, I think?) and all of Castle in the Sky.

My favorite is Kiki's Delivery Service because I really relate to this movie. Especially where she loses all her magic and she meets the artist woman who kind of helps her emotionally. KIKI I'VE BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT I RELATE TO YOU. CRY!! (All his movies make me cry.) Plus I love magic girls.

I also love Miyazaki because he is a feminist which is why most of his movies have strong women or/and are about women. :>

If you like Ghibli stuff you should watch this series they made called Sherlock Hound! It's super cute!
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

Ghibli films I have seen are Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, and The Secret World of Arrietty. The first two are my favorites. For some reason I didn't really care for Princess Mononoke. I don't know why, maybe I didn't fully understand it. (I watched it many years ago.)

I'd also like to see Howl's Moving Castle someday, don't know why I haven't gotten to it yet. (I'd like to read the novel it is based on, too.) And my library actually has Pom Poko, so I should give that a watch as well.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Oh yeah, I haven't seen Pom Poko, either. I heard it was...interesting. Lots of ball jokes and transforming testicles. Well, they are Tanuki after all.

I also haven't seen From Up on Poppy Hill. Has anyone here seen that one? Is it good?
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I love Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away. I've also watched Kiki, Ponyo and Mononoke, but they didn't stand out as much as the other two.

In Howl's Moving Castle there's a part that says that Sophie is only still cursed "because she wants to be cursed" I think this was in the book only? I don't recall, it's been a long time since I listened to it. Anyway, from my understanding she did break the curse, but she believed herself to be cursed so she continued being cursed until she could let go of the curse.

I like the metaphor behind it, like saying it's your own doubt that's a curse and it can only be lifted if you have the will to be confident. So it's not that she "wanted to be cursed" exactly, but she didn't believe in herself even though gaining confidence would come if she just tried to be positive. In other words the first step towards a better image of yourself gaining confidence is wanting it enough to believe it's possible.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Mikari wrote: I like the metaphor behind it, like saying it's your own doubt that's a curse and it can only be lifted if you have the will to be confident. So it's not that she "wanted to be cursed" exactly, but she didn't believe in herself even though gaining confidence would come if she just tried to be positive. In other words the first step towards a better image of yourself gaining confidence is wanting it enough to believe it's possible.
Right! I think I related a lot with Sophie because it was her self-esteem she was battling with. That whole concept of not having confidence in herself, not feeling attractive, so then just feeling like you need to accept the lies you've created about yourself and live with it. I want to cry every time when Howl goes "Sophie! Sophie, you're beautiful!"

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;A; ;A;
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Aw! Howl is so funny and sweet ^_^
neo

Post by neo »

Destinie wrote: I want to cry every time when Howl goes "Sophie! Sophie, you're beautiful!"

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;A; ;A;

YES, OMG.

About From Up On Poppy Hill - I definitely enjoyed it, but it had a more laid-back feeling than the other movies IMO. Nothing really magical about it, but it was heartwarming in its own way. Worth watching at least once ^_^.
VICTORY WITH EVERYTHING WE HAVE