Something Good ~ The Sound of Music

From August to the end of October 2016, revamp your existing shrines to bring them up to your current standards! Add new content, refine existing content and sweep your shrines for any errors.
Robin
Events Staffer

Something Good ~ The Sound of Music

Post by Robin »

Something Good
a fansite for The Sound of Music
whew scooting in right under the wire omg

This once sorta-embarrassing site has gotten a facelift and about 500% more content! Here's what's been added:
  • Full plot summary
  • Trivia
  • Fan responses
  • More complete character listing
  • Essay section
  • Better article formatting
  • Individual song pages
  • Corrected/polished layout
  • Google Fonts instead of web-safe fonts (LOL)
Still to come because my real life is super crazy right now and my neck is one giant headache-causing knot:
  • More essays
  • Additional screenshots for the plot summary
  • More detailed song analyses
  • Song lyrics for each video
  • More fan responses
  • More trivia
  • Better site buttons
Please enjoy all I have uploaded thus far, and check back soon for these planned updates!!
Last edited by Robin on Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Stefi
Administrator

Re: Something Good ~ The Sound of Music

Post by Stefi »

Yayyy, congrats! And wow, that is so much content. I thought the "Real Life Story" section was super interesting!

I actually like the big text on your layout! I should really start putting that into practice myself, now that I think about it.

Good job, Robin!
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

So much stuff! Awesome job! :D
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Shinju

Post by Shinju »

OMG... I clearly have been living under a rock because I didn't know about Something Good; I love The Sound of Music!!! ;A; :heart: :music:

I adore the image you chose for the layout. :blush: :heart: So many additions! ;u; :heart: I look forward to reading Something Good~ :heh: Congrats on the revamp! :heart:
There's no stopping the heart once it falls.
FandomSavant

Post by FandomSavant »

Wow! Wonderful work, Robin! I LOVE the plot summary. So detailed and well-written. It's been so many years since I've watched the film, it was lovely to get a refresher.

Hi! I'm Patricia.

FandomSavant.com - home of my stuff
Twitter: @FandomSavant
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Stefi wrote:Yayyy, congrats! And wow, that is so much content. I thought the "Real Life Story" section was super interesting!

I actually like the big text on your layout! I should really start putting that into practice myself, now that I think about it.

Good job, Robin!
Thank you!! The real-life story was so much fun to research :D :D I'm going to polish up the content more as I go, but I'm happy I finally got a full plot summary written xD

I ended up liking the big text more than I thought I would! At first, I was thinking "homg this looks like a kids' book wtf," but it kinda grew on me, LOL!
Crystal wrote:So much stuff! Awesome job! :D
Thank you! :D :D
Shinju wrote:OMG... I clearly have been living under a rock because I didn't know about Something Good; I love The Sound of Music!!! ;A; :heart: :music:

I adore the image you chose for the layout. :blush: :heart: So many additions! ;u; :heart: I look forward to reading Something Good~ :heh: Congrats on the revamp! :heart:
YAY FELLOW SOUND OF MUSIC FAN *high five*

That image is one of my favorite scenes from the film, capturing that first real moment of tenderness between Maria and Georg <3 I remember being a 9-year-old squeeing happily at that scene when it came on TV <3

I hope you'll enjoy reading the site (plus the extra stuff I'm going to polish up and add as I have time/energy/brain xD)!
FandomSavant wrote:Wow! Wonderful work, Robin! I LOVE the plot summary. So detailed and well-written. It's been so many years since I've watched the film, it was lovely to get a refresher.
Thank you :D I was worried about the plot summary being hella rushed and sort of whirlwind, but I'm glad it reads well! I'm going to add some more screenshots to it as I get time so that the writing is also illustrated by the beautiful cinematography :D
withinmyworld.org
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

Aaaahhh, everything looks so organized and clean. Congratulations on the revamp! Despite only watching the entire movie once or twice, it still gives me a lot of nostalgia. The songs alone are classics!

The dark layout is simple and beautiful. I also LOVE the image you used; the image/scene is one of my favorites just for the lighting alone... ugh, silhouettes are so beautiful... I just really love the picture, okay. Everything is so big and legible; nicely done!

WHOA, OMG. "Full Plot Summary" is ridiculously in-depth and extensive; it's awesome! It's clear you put a lot of effort into it. It might be helpful to break it up into different pages based on the sections you have going on already? In any case, I look forward to seeing it with more screenshots! SPAM ALL THE PICTURES.

I also really enjoyed reading "Trivia"; just the thought of Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer might've been tipsy during a scene gives me so much joy for some reason, haha. It was also interesting to learn how Plummer's feelings towards the movie changed over time! "Real Life Story" was also interesting, and it was fun to read how similar or different the fictional characters are versus their real life counterparts.

Of course, I also enjoyed reading about why you love the film so much and how much it has influenced you! I'm also really looking forward to your future essay, "Maria's Music Theory: The Film's Effect on Current Music Education"; it sounds completely fascinating.

Everything is well-written and well-presented. Great job! :heart: :star:
Masao
Host

Post by Masao »

omg you added so much content!!

I really like your "Why" page, and the pages on the real people the movie was based off of. I remember watching a biography episode on that back when the channel A&E was actually classy. When things are based on history and real events, it's always interesting to compare the adaption to the real events, and see what they changed for the sake of telling a "story."
"I also believe, however, that the film has stayed relevant to humanity because we can't seem to get away from war, no matter how much history we study."
- 50th Anniversary page
:cry: this is so true, and very well said.
THE FATE OF DESTRUCTION IS ALSO THE JOY OF REBIRTH.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Andrea wrote:Aaaahhh, everything looks so organized and clean. Congratulations on the revamp! Despite only watching the entire movie once or twice, it still gives me a lot of nostalgia. The songs alone are classics!

The dark layout is simple and beautiful. I also LOVE the image you used; the image/scene is one of my favorites just for the lighting alone... ugh, silhouettes are so beautiful... I just really love the picture, okay. Everything is so big and legible; nicely done!

WHOA, OMG. "Full Plot Summary" is ridiculously in-depth and extensive; it's awesome! It's clear you put a lot of effort into it. It might be helpful to break it up into different pages based on the sections you have going on already? In any case, I look forward to seeing it with more screenshots! SPAM ALL THE PICTURES.

I also really enjoyed reading "Trivia"; just the thought of Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer might've been tipsy during a scene gives me so much joy for some reason, haha. It was also interesting to learn how Plummer's feelings towards the movie changed over time! "Real Life Story" was also interesting, and it was fun to read how similar or different the fictional characters are versus their real life counterparts.

Of course, I also enjoyed reading about why you love the film so much and how much it has influenced you! I'm also really looking forward to your future essay, "Maria's Music Theory: The Film's Effect on Current Music Education"; it sounds completely fascinating.

Everything is well-written and well-presented. Great job! :heart: :star:
:D thank you so much! :D I was thankfully able to get away with only doing small polishes and tweaks to the original layout I made--I just had to get rid of some of the rough edges I kindasorta forgot about ^_^; (I should probably never actually upload my version 1's, because I just do SO MUCH BETTER with my version 2's. xD)

I'm planning a lot of work on the individual sections now that the immediate deadline anxiety is past--I definitely think breaking up the Plot Summary page into more readable chunks would help. (When I was typing it in Notepad++, the paragraphs/page didn't look NEARLY that long >_< )

I enjoyed putting together the Trivia and Real Life Story pages just about as much as compiling content for the film itself; so many stories, so many cute things! <3<3<3 (I'm also looking forward to writing out more thoughts on the Music Education article--right now it's mostly a formless idea of "HEY THIS WOULD BE COOL" XD)
Masao wrote:omg you added so much content!!

I really like your "Why" page, and the pages on the real people the movie was based off of. I remember watching a biography episode on that back when the channel A&E was actually classy. When things are based on history and real events, it's always interesting to compare the adaption to the real events, and see what they changed for the sake of telling a "story."
"I also believe, however, that the film has stayed relevant to humanity because we can't seem to get away from war, no matter how much history we study."
- 50th Anniversary page
:cry: this is so true, and very well said.
YAAAS ALL THE CONTENT <3 XD Glad you liked the additions/polishing, and the part about war on the 50th anniversary page--that just kept occurring to me as I've rewatched it over the years ;_; a lot of critics like to say it's a boring film that's just a love story, but it is sooooo much more than that!
withinmyworld.org
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

aaah I knew you said you had more ideas for the shrine, but I didn't know it was this many! I haven't got around to checking out everything yet, but it's neat to see how much this shrine has grown!

Some of the trivia is so cute, and I... really love that you made "fan responses" a page of its own. I like reading what other people think of something that is dear to me, so I've been linking to some interesting things in my "linkage" sections on shrines, as a kind of footnote for those interested. But giving them such presence on your shrine is such a neat thing to do! Can't wait to see what else you'll put up there, and the same goes for the planned "Maria's Music Theory: The Film's Effect on Current Music Education" essay. :D /browses your song pages some more :music:
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.