Frozen Glass: Sode no Shirayuki

From April to the end of December 2016, have courage to start and share your in-progress works! Release your shrines unfinished, and use community enthusiasm and feedback as fuel to keep working on them.
Kate

Frozen Glass: Sode no Shirayuki

Post by Kate »

Frozen Glass — Sode no Shirayuki

Hello! ;; So this is Construction Zone shrine, and It's technically my shrine debut! I haven't officially released anything ever before this so.. The flow or set may feel a little weird haha~ As of right now I have two informational pages up, the website details, and an image gallery slowly being constructed as I scan through the series!

The first appearance page has to be rewritten since I wrote it in one go and uploaded it immediately. ;; I like to do this since it gives me a chance to forget what I wrote and catch errors and weird sentences haha! I--- I really don't know what to say other than, I just hope to work on this as much as I can and fill it with all the love I have for Sode no Shirayuki. (and rukia..makes all the rukia shrines)

I'll be posting here on this thread as I update this shrine! Thank you to Robin for approving me to be a part of Construction Zone! ;w;
Crystal

Re: Frozen Glass: Sode no Shirayuki

Post by Crystal »

Ahhhh I'm so excited to see this! I love Rukia and I love her zanpakutou. Can't wait to see what you do with it! <3
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

AAAAAH IT'S HERE, I CAN FINALLY DUMP ALL THE WORDS ON THIS AND SCREAM

Preliminary screaming:
  • KATE I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO SEE ITEM SHRINES ever since I saw that item/world fanlistings were a thing. There's so much that can be made with this and it's an area that hasn't been explored yet!! I've wanted there so much to be an item shrine marathon lmao... I LOVE how the first shrine you're making is an item shrine!! <3 <3 <3 I hope your shrine inspires a lot of people so I can see more of these pop up. <O><O>
  • KATE A BIG REASON WHY I'VE WANTED TO SEE ITEM SHRINES is... Sode no Shirayuki. LOL I think the last fanlisting to it may have had a mini-shrine to it, but I'm not sure anymore - I just know I adored it and it had a Rukia-related domain too. RUKIA-RELATED DOMAINS ARE MY FAVOURITE THING so I'm ecstatic about this shrine being on hakuren.org!!
Feedback screaming:
  • Everything about the design of your shrine is SO immensely elegant, I feel like you've captured the essence of Sode no Shirayuki in your design - just as how it's regarded as one of the most gorgeous Zanpakutous, I think this shrine has one of the most gorgeous and elegant designs I've seen; it's definitely a favourite of mine. ;_; /is a sap Ugh the colours, the image you've chosen for the layout, the typography, the images across the pages, I love it all so much and it's so perfect. ;_; (Fun thing: I felt reminded of some of Andrea's designs while looking at this, which are also among my favourites... It's amusing considering how much we all talk. XD I need to figure out what exactly makes you two's designs resonate with me so much!! And then emulate it. Maybe it's as simple as wide content text with black on white/grey??)
  • THE SHRINE NAME IS ELEGANT AND PERFECT TOO, you're great to have come up with it!!!! INSTANT FAV.
  • The "First Appearance" page is so creative - it's not specifically about Sode no Shirayuki at all, it's about Zanpakutous in general, and that's such a perfect intro to this item shrine and to a Zanpakutou shrine specifically, while also introducing Bleach, I just asdjladjlajdlad.
  • THE CROPPING AND SELECTION AND DIFFERENT SIZE OF IMAGES AND THEIR PLACEMENT AND ADJLAJDLJDLA.
  • I love the mentions of the "ice and snow" Zanpakutou category aaah such a neat detail.
  • The descriptions of the Zanpakutou's abilities are so technical, but you can feel the love in them aaah. I usually suck at summing up technical stuff, but I love reading about it...! It's cute how you think about the effectiveness of an attack and what would be good counters!
  • Small manga croppings can sometimes make it difficult to discern what's being depicted (at least so I feel when working on my own shrines), but along with your mouse-over breakdown of the steps, it's easy and enjoyable to follow! I do think the mouseover text is super small and thus hard to read though - would you consider making it a bit bigger?
  • ITEM GALLERY I AM ASDJKALDJLAJDL IS THIS HEAVEN (with gorgeous thumbnails to boot)
  • GORGEOUS BUTTONS /goes to slap it on button wall
This is so great and inspiring and beautiful, Kate, and I can't wait for the rest!! :DDDDDDD (To be honest, after you first showed me this, I was so inspired and went "THE AGE OF ITEM SHRINES IS FINALLY HERE" and wrote an entire shrine outline for an item shrine idea I've had forever...)

(By the way, do you have a tutorial or something for how you got the currently active page to display without link and in a different colour in the navigation? I want it toooooooo.)

Okay word vomit over, Lethe out. I trust Andrea to get in here and be more embarrassing than I am. Until then, you can pretend that the caps in this post are in Andrea's voice.
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
mishiro

Post by mishiro »

Well this is gonna be the first item shrine I'm seeing! It's kinda exciting! *o*

I love your minimalist layout, your banner and the little hover effect (and the buttons <3 AND THE FAVICON I just noticed xD). I don't follow Bleach but I'm rather familiar with Rukia and her zanpakutou, and I'm loving the two informative pages that you've already put up. :) Having images/scans really makes the content easier to read, so that it doesn't look too crammed with words. Overall, good job, this would totally be my role model shrine reference! *o*
Lethe wrote:(By the way, do you have a tutorial or something for how you got the currently active page to display without link and in a different colour in the navigation? I want it toooooooo.)
I wanna learn this too! Does it have to do with a:active?? :D
From the earth, the land, the sea and sky
They can never win, but they sure can try

Icon by Megan
Laura

Post by Laura »

Wow!! This is a really cool idea! I love the idea of shrining an item rather than a character and Bleach certainly has a lot of items that have their own sort of personalities. XD It's hard to believe this is your first shrine; it's done so well! Everything you've written flows so smoothly and is easy to understand. I love that I can see your passion for Shirayuki in your writing. <3 The gallery is pretty cool too, featuring images by chapter.

Overall, I think your shrine is very unique!! I can't wait to see what else you make for it as well as your future works. :)
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Ooooooo well done so far! I know .00001% about Bleach but your shrine is still very approachable to me thus far (and as said before, your beautiful design definitely lends itself to easy reading). Congrats on getting this uploaded and I can't wait to see what you add next!!
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Kate

Post by Kate »

@Crystal: Thank you so much Crystal!!! Your Rukia shrine is definitely going to be one of my first affiliates!! >:3 It was a big inspiration for me too! I never got the chance to ever tell you, but I really loved that you wrote about Sode no Shirayuki on your shrine!

@LETHE: LETHE I.. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY. HOW DO I RESPOND PROPERLY TO YOU, I ALWAYS JUST CRAWL ON THE GROUND AND CRY TO YOU BUAHAHA!!! I'm telling you, you should totally do an item shrine marathon! :inlove: And thank you so much for showering my domain with love, you have no idea how much it means to me. ;;;

THE DESIGN JUST, FELL TOGETHER. It's didn't take me long at all to get it up. It just came about so naturally; it was kind of scary actually. o___o;; And thank you thank you thank you for for comments and feedback on the sections, it helps me tremendously because this is my first shrine and I have little idea what the heck I'm doing haha! :ok:

Also! I changed the text size for the tool.tip! I didn't notice it before but you're totally right. It was really hard to read, and it looks sooo much better now! ;o; As for the link thingy, I'll put that at the very bottom of this post hehe. :3

@Mishiro: I've started designing more minimalist and now I can't stop! ;;; Oh my gosh, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for mentioning that favicon, because it was a pain to make haha!! I couldn't get it right! Thank you so so much for your kind words Mishiro!

~~~

I suggest taking a look at this tutorial!!
Last edited by Kate on Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Kate wrote:@Crystal: Thank you so much Crystal!!! Your Rukia shrine is definitely going to be one of my first affiliates!! >:3 It was a big inspiration for me too! I never got the chance to ever tell you, but I really loved that you wrote about Sode no Shirayuki on your shrine!
Of course! I would have asked if you didn't hehe. And thank you so much! I feel ashamed with the state of my Rukia shrine but I'm so far behind in the series and haven't found the time to catch up with it and give it the proper attention it deserves. One day! And of course! I have to talk about her zanpakutou. :D
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Kate

Post by Kate »

@Wolfrun: Ohhh ;; I really wanted to give this shrine my best shot, so I really thank you so so much Laura!! I really wasn't expecting such kind feed back on an item shrine ahh it really means a lot to me. I'm trying to be as clear as possible, so I don't confuse anyone.. I'm glad it's falling together alright! Thank you again!!

Robin: Yess!! Thank you thank you, Robin! I am so happy to hear that even though you're not familiar with the subject or series, it is still readable!! :sob: I'm really trying my best and I hope I can make the other pages enjoyable as well, even if just a little.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

The new text size for the tooltip looks much better now, yay!! <3

I didn't expect you to have done the navigation manually for each page haha but I understand, and it's certainly doable with a shrine that isn't too big! <3

Since bringing this up, Masao has also poked me about this tutorial of hers, so I thought I'd plug it here in case anyone who asked was interested in doing this with PHP. XD
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.