Paperback Marathon

Browse all previous marathons and challenges along with the realized projects!
Sofia
Administrator

Paperback Marathon

Post by Sofia »

ATTENTION #2! As of today (April 12, 2013) yet a new deadline has been chosen, take a look at this topic: http://board.amassment.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=604.

ATTENTION! As of today (February 6, 2013) a new deadline has been chosen, please refer to this topic: http://board.amassment.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=527.

Intro

Though many of us love them, there are very few fansites online dedicated to written mediums. People are more likely to shrine characters they can access from their video game consoles and televisions. Because of this, some really great characters and series are overlooked online, despite how much we love them. We hope to pay tribute to some of them with this year's Winter marathon at Amassment. We want to see more tributes to Paperback fandoms! With this marathon, challenge yourself to make sites to subjects from books, comics, and mangas.

This event will run from now until February 1, 2013. You will notice this event is a little longer than most, but that is because we want to give you all an opportunity to read/reread the written works you will be making sites to. How much time is devoted to reading versus site-making will vary for each individual person, but we expect most members will spend 1-2 months reading, and 3-4 months working on sites. Manage your time in whichever way you see fit, and feel free to let us know know your status throughout the event, whether that be by talking about the work you are reading in the Anime and Manga or Literature boards, posting previews of your design at the Layout and Graphics board, or discussing your approach to written content in Shrine Discussion. Rather than signing up for this event and no one talking about it until the finished form goes up, use the community for support, feedback, and motivation. That's one of the great things about us being at the forum now. :)

Rules and Guidelines
  • We are looking for shrines from written mediums. This includes, but may not be limited to, books, comics, mangas, and visual novels. If you have an idea of something you'd like to shrine that isn't from one of those, feel free to ask about it here.
  • You may shrine a book, an entire series, a character from a book or series, a relationship, or many other things. As long as your subject comes from a written medium, the sky is the limit.
  • If your subject is from a written and non-written medium (Example: character from a manga that has also been made into an anime), we ask that you focus on the written medium. You can of course mention and cover the other medium, but the written medium should be of focus.
  • Once you have finished your shrine check out the Submission post (you will find it online within a month or so), all you need is a 100*35 button and a link to your completed shrine. Remember that until the Reveal post is up you cannot plug your shrine in the main community (private conversations or personal journals/social sites are fine, though). Also keep in mind that several banners to link back this marathon will be provided in the aforementioned Submission post.
  • Any subject change, time extension or drop-out must be promptly communicated to the Events teams!
  • And as last rule we say…HAVE FUN and spread the comic/manga/book love :)
Sign-up

For this marathon me (Sofia) and Todd will handle all the sign-ups. Unlike previous events, all sign-ups will be made through PM so send a message to either of us with the following information:
Name:
Email:
Collective URL: (if you have one)
Subject: (If you decide to change your mind at a later date, please let us know.)
Once we have received your message we will send a PM to let you know we have recorded your submission.

Sign-ups will remain open throughout all of October, so feel free to sign-up at any time. The more shrines, the merrier, right? Also feel free to leave any questions or comments as a reply to this post.

And whoever participates to this marathon will receive 10 [s]cookies[/s] points so…what are you waiting for? ;) Also October's Shrine Spotlight will be literature-themed. Nominate a shrine and receive 4 coins in return…not bad uh? Here is the post with all the details: http://board.amassment.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=310.

Marathon Quick Info and Links
  • Sign-up period: October 10, 2012 - October 31, 2012
  • Marathon period: November 1, 2012 - [s]February 1, 2013[/s] March 7, 2013
  • Staffers in charge of sign-ups: Todd, Sofia
  • Submission post: here
Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy.
Ava

Re: Paperback Marathon

Post by Ava »

Great idea for a marathon. I'm signing up asap. :)

And while people are checking out current paperback shrines for inspiration, they can nominate them for the Literature Month Shrine Spotlight too! *shameless* Everyone benefits.
Dreams are meaningful when you work toward them in the real world.
If you merely live within the dreams of other people, it's no different from being dead.
Sofia
Administrator

Post by Sofia »

I'm glad you like the idea :)

If you don't mind, and if the others mod agree, I've edited my post to include a link to this month's Shrine Spotlight since both events are related…and extra advertisement never hurts ;)
Shiori

Post by Shiori »

What a fun idea~! I'm not sure if I'll have time to participate, but I'll definitely mull it over. ^^
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Man, this looks great! I also have a site on my projects list that fits the theme! skjafkahfdjhgj What I lack is time. ;w; Like Shiori, I'm mulling it over.

But I have a question!
Would literature analysis of a short story as a site be acceptable?

Say for instance I need an excuse to read The Monkey's Paw and write up my thoughts and stuff on it. ...:D I assume this will be alright according to bullet rule and guideline number 2, but I want to confirm. (Geez way to make more projects for yourself Snow. orz)
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Sofia
Administrator

Post by Sofia »

I'm glad to hear that you like this new event! And it's safe to say we are all looking forward to see what you guys will come up with.

We have opted to run this event for a few months and leave a wide variety of subjects in order to give more people the chance to join. If you manage to find some time for this marathon you should definitely participate…we need more shrines based on paper mediums!

@Snow: I think it would be okay since short stories are a suitable subject and it is up to you to decide how to develop your shrine. I will however talk to the other staffers to be sure we all agree and let you know our decision as quickly as possible (because you will make that shrine, won't you? XD).

I have a bunch of shrines on my to-do list as well…and with this marathon I will have to add yet another one. Many projects, not so much time…bummer :/
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

This is awesome! Not sure if I will participate considering that I'll be busy in that time but I have a couple ideas already, aaah!
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Sofia wrote:
@Snow: I think it would be okay since short stories are a suitable subject and it is up to you to decide how to develop your shrine. I will however talk to the other staffers to be sure we all agree and let you know our decision as quickly as possible (because you will make that shrine, won't you? XD).

I have a bunch of shrines on my to-do list as well…and with this marathon I will have to add yet another one. Many projects, not so much time…bummer :/
I definitely would! I want to do all of them. XD in particular the short story would be quite the challenge. Plus it'll give me a chance to retread some favorites. I look forward to the response of all staffers! Thanks for doing this. :3
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

I'm thinking about joining but I don't know what I would do. Must think more. I'm really looking forward to that site, Snow, so even if it doesn't get approved, you should make it anyway. Also commas! Lots of them because I'm not to goo with grammer!
;o; *** pew! pew!
Todd

Post by Todd »

It'll get approved! Do it!