Youkai Watch: Komasan and Komajiro

From November 2015 to August 2016, create a shrine or shrines to celebrate a dynamic duo! Lovers, enemies, brothers, sisters, parents, and close friends contribute to a character's being. Explore the fandom and the relationship from another side.
Destinie

Youkai Watch: Komasan and Komajiro

Post by Destinie »

Introducing the Country Bumpkins
Komajiro: Big brother, come take a look at this!

Komasan: OH MY SWIRLS! That picture there is a-movin'!

Komajiro: No, brother, this is a computer and this is the internet. And look, someone made a digital shrine for us!

Komasan: Uh...in...ter...net...oh! A shrine! Well butter my bun and call me a biscuit- this means we ain't gotta worry anymore after our old one was torn down.

Komajiro: Yeah! This is our digital home!

Komasan: It sure looks mighty nifty. I hope some city folk might be willin' to stop by sometime.

------------------

I was able to finish my tribute! I hope you all like it! I am looking forward to all your thoughts and feedback. :)
Lethe

Re: Komasan and Komajiro [are] Country Bumpkins

Post by Lethe »

Yaaaaay I'm excited you've finished this shrine!! That introduction dialogue is super super cute.

As someone who has visited and read most of your shrines, I feel like this shrine is where a lot of what makes your shrines so "Destinie" comes together: your love for Pokémon, your interest in mythological creatures (and similar things) and your merchandise collecting! I felt on every single page that this is a creation of yours, which is lovely. :heart:

Here are my thoughts as I read through the shrine!

I feel like Level-5 releases all the cute titles or something lmao, so I love that you gave examples of those titles. The whole introduction page is very enjoyable, really, and doesn't come across as dry at all despite focusing on terminology. I love the extensive breakdown of the game mechanics and the Youkai's different stats, and what stands out to me is that although you point out that the game is very different from Pokémon (since people - Westerners - seem to be quick to dismiss it while comparing it to Pokémon), you don't hesitate to use the well-known Pokémon terminology to explain Youkai Watch's stats and mechanics. :D That made it very accessible to me, and that whole page is a far better introduction to the game than that demo I played omg...

What's also remarkable is that you retain Youkai Watch's bright and light-hearted nature across the shrine! It's in the things you address, but also in the way you explain and speculate about things in a "look, this is cute! looks, this is endearing! look, this makes them more approachable to children!" tone.

Aaaand then there's how much you love how Japanese Youkai Watch is, something you point out as early as on the introduction page. Thank you so much for explaining speech patterns and name meanings (English and Japanese) - those are things not as accessible to most players, so it's always lovely to find out via other channels!

All the background on Japanese culture is really lovely, too: why tigers are usually associated with lightning/thunder in Japanese games, the Komainu line-up in other games, the contrast between these two brothers and what they're based on as well as why they may have been written this way, etc. :star:

The only page I feel like I don't understand so well - although it looks like a lovely addition and certainly has me interested - is the family page. The letter writing and mother part is great (and you bring up the letters again on a later page), but I'm a bit confused about Komashura. Does he ever interact with the other Komas? :O This might just be reading comprehension on my part though; from what you've written, it sounds like it's left as a mystery in the game itself. Or maybe the "family of Komas" and "there are three" part has me confused, since it came across as the three of them being brothers, and then it turns out Komashura isn't actually part of the immediate family, but just of the same "species"? I would have expected the page to open with those closest to the two Komas that you're shrining.

I love the shrine as a whole a lot, but the "As Brothers" page just has me go awwwwwwwwwwwww. :heart: :heart: :heart:

And these evolution texts ARE THE CUTEST:
Komasan's travels made him grow up into a brave and dependable Yo-kai. He's strong too!

Komajiro's pursuit of his brother brought out his ferocious tiger spirit. He even has stripes!
Great shrine, Destinie!!
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Destinie

Re: Youkai Watch: Komasan and Komajiro

Post by Destinie »

Thank you, Lethe!! I love your thoughtful and thorough reply! ♥

I see what you mean about the "Family" section and that it seems kind of tacked onto the rest of the shrine. In all honesty, these are characters that share the "koma" name but their relationship to the main characters are kind of ambiguous. I think I might like to take some time and go into the page again later and write some clarifying detail based on your suggestion. I really want to make the site as accessible as possible. :)

My main thing with reading Youkai Watch sites before I played the game is that no one described what all these words meant or anything about the characters. I really want people to have a good idea about what these things mean and what these characters are like even if they didn't play the game or watch the anime!
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Adorable! And what a great intro to this series!! :D Your love for the characters and the anime/game shine on every page. :)

Also, I love the full-width layout, which is expansive but not overwhelming :)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

It's awesome to see this shrine open! It's so cute and amusing! ^_^ I still haven't playing Yokai Watch, but it's great learning more about the komas in advanced. ^_^ I love their dynamics and how you presented everything on the site.
Kate

Post by Kate »

I looove the dialogue intro~~ hehe. I really enjoyed your shrine, it was so cute and informative. I have to admit one of my favorite pages was the for The Komainu. I love that you dedicated an entire section to their historical background!
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

@Robin, Mikari: Thank you! ♥

@Kate: Thank you! Haha one of my favorite things is to dissect the origin of characters and contract and compare, so I am glad you like that page. I also think talking about the Komainu is crucial to understanding the comedic overtones of these characters!
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

Destinie! I love the way you set this site up! I have been seeing these cuties everywhere in Target, but I have yet to get into the series (this site has made me consider it even more now!) I am not going to read it in full detail because I do want to start it up, and then I will come back for more :D
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Thanks, Megan! I would be interested in your thoughts when you are able to read through it. :) And I hope you get into Youkai Watch, too! HEHEH ♥
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

An update: Based on feedback I tweaked the "Family" page. I hope it makes more sense now! :)