Youkai Watch: Komasan and Komajiro

From November 2015 to August 2016, create a shrine or shrines to celebrate a dynamic duo! Lovers, enemies, brothers, sisters, parents, and close friends contribute to a character's being. Explore the fandom and the relationship from another side.
Lethe

Re: Youkai Watch: Komasan and Komajiro

Post by Lethe »

Much better, Destinie, especially with the introducing sentence being "The Koma brothers share family in both sense of the word: their immediate family as well as other Youkai that are a part of their species." haha! Great job.
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Great! Thanks, Lethe! I appreciate the feedback ♥
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

What an informative and in-depth shrine! I've never played or watched Youkai Watch (I didn't realize it was also an anime!), but cute things are my weakness, and after reading your shrine I'm dying over these guys, haha. Not to mention I'm also a sucker for sibling relationships!

I love how big, spacious and simple the layout is. The subtle background is just lovely, and it's just really clean and organized! Also the drawing of the brothers in the navigation is so cute, ugh. And I just noticed the main header image rotates! The images you chose are just adorable.

For someone who has never played the game, your introduction was great! I like how you not only summarized what it's about, but also went into the gameplay of it as well. Although it is mentioned briefly, the comparison to Pokémon is really interesting. It makes me want to check out the game—not because they hold similarities, but because it'd be nice see what new concepts are implemented!

The character introductions were just as enjoyable to read! I like how you also mention their appearances and story in the anime, as well as their little character quirks. I thiiinnnkkk Komajiro might be my favorite, but really... ugh, I'm going to keep saying this, but: AAAAAHHH. THEY'RE BOTH SO CUTE.

OR. NO, I LIED. KOMA MAMA IS MY FAVORITE. The small mention of her appendage-less appearance made me laugh, hahaha.

"As Brothers" was a great read, and I like how you mention how the game does something different with the Youkai, deviating from their "traditional" image; it makes me appreciate what the creators did as well! It's just really cool how these "feared and respected" figures of mythology are suddenly tossed into a modern city and need to learn how to adapt as a result. It makes me think of modern/urban fantasy! Anyways, it's so cute how Komasan tries to be the cool older brother for his little bro. D'aw, it's so sweet!

"Brother's Exploits" was a lot of fun to read! It's great that you touched upon the more important episodes and their development through the anime. Also the brothers in a nightclub! HAHAHA, that's hilarious. And Komajiro being known as "KJ," LOL. And I also really enjoyed "Almost Human" since it provides some great insight into the perspective of the brothers trying to live in the modern world.

It's also awesome how you integrated Japanese culture/mythology all throughout the site! Those were definitely the highlight of every page I read. Overall, this was a really fun site to read, and I can't wait to see how "Merchandise" will grow over time, hehehe. Nice work! :content: :heart: :star:
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Andrea thank you so much for your feedback and thoughts! ♥ I really appreciate it! I am happy when I can introduce cute things to other people and if I got you "squeeing" by the end of the shrine I think that's a job well done. :)b
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

You know, I read this whole shrine awhile ago, but I never commented on how much I enjoyed it! As someone who played Yo-Kai Watch, I thought you presented all the information really nicely, and I think the introduction is great for people who don't know much about the series! The images are really nicely embedded in the text, and they're really nice to look at. :D

One of my favorite things about your shrine is "The Komainu." This stuff is always super interesting to me, and I always think you write so nicely about it. I can always tell how passionate you are about these subjects. I also LOVE the "Komainu in Other Games" section because they've always been around, but we might just not have known!

I also loved the merchandise that you included, and it made me realize how much cute YKW merchandise I am missing out on! I should include some merchandise sections on my shrines.

I LOVE IT NOW. BUILD MORE YKW SHRINES!
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Thanks, Megan! :)
Aku

Post by Aku »

Heya Destinie! Playing some catch up on all the DD shrines, so sorry for my probably late reply! :D

As someone who almost bought Youkai Watch (I know! :sob: ) this was a really interesting read because I've always been curious about the game! (Actually, ever since "Gera Gera Po" played at every end of the year music show in Japan LOL.) I really enjoyed the way your sections paced themselves: introducing the game, the brothers, and the komainu's place in past and modern day Japanese culture. It sets up the rest of the shrine super nicely without being overbearing! I also had no idea that all those Pokemon were based on Komainu so that was a pretty cool takeaway for me, and also grounded me a little bit as someone more familiar with Pokemon than Youkai Watch. In general, I just really appreciated how you sprinkled in the random folklore here and there--like you had in the "Almost Human" section! I thought it was really elegantly done and well-researched, nothing felt forced for the sake of analysis (which I imagine is a really easy route to go down when dealing with something a bit more children-targeted in nature).

Also, I am a sucker for brotherly love + relationships, and your "Brothers Exploits" and "Almost Human" sections just warmed my black heart LOL. :heart: It's so cute how Komasan watches out for his little bro... :sob: Maybe I should check out the anime on a rainy day!

In true Destinie fashion, I love that you've included your collection in the shrine. Like Lethe said, something about that just screams you, and there's something about seeing someone's personal collection shows their adoration for the subject in a way that writing simply can't.

Awesome work Destinie!! :heart: :heart: :heart: (I love that this is part of your monster collective.)
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Thank you, Aku! ♥ ♥ These two are the epitome of brotherly love TT_TT