Salt

Planning to create or to revamp a shrine and need some help or a second eye with your content? Post away!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Sine

Salt

Post by Sine »

So my big project is going to be my shrine for Hector Barbossa, because he is the fandom love of my life and I have a lot of feelings and speculations and random info that doesn't seem to be collected into any one place about him after rping him on dreamwidth for literally ever. And because I do just have so much stuff, I've gotten a jump start, at least, with a possibly/maybe sectioning of things:

Salt - Hector Barbossa of PotC

I've got this gigantic list here of things I want to include (did I mention this thing is going to be huge? because it's going to be huge), so let me get that out of the way, first.

IN THE MAKING:

Information: - Which is going to be a kind of...Timeline of Potc (and comparison to real world history), the PotC Code vs real life pirate codes, piracy in antiquity vs PotC, important places in piracy (like Tortuga, Nassau, Port Royal), how canon magic works, ship life, 18th C slang...Basically a history lesson and the road so far, considering there is a lot of canon beyond the films (in the books and comics) and a lot of comparisons to be made vs real world history.

Hector: - The usual stuff here, tbh. Personality, about the Aztec curse, his personal canon history, his appearances in media both canon and non-canon, what he's captained, especially good quotes, personal effects, employment history...You know what I mean.

Relationships: Pretty self-explanitory, you know, his connections and relationships with the other characters.

And then the main, huge, gigantic section that will be
Essays: - Which is speculation on his heritage (half-Irish) and childhood that prompted his decision to turn pirate really young, how the first draft of Curse of the Black Pearl is still really important to his character (and possibly the At World's End first draft, as well), the drawbacks of being resurrected mentally, his descriptor card in the tarot and why for giggles, along with a defense of my chosen zodiac and birth year for him, comparisons of him to Jack Sparrow, Davy Jones, Blackbeard (PotC and historical), and Barbarossa. Maybe Calico Jack Rackham, as well, since they share a Jolly Roger.

Which, yeah, I know that's already a whooooole lot to go blabbing about, and the truth is I could probably cut about half of it and still be good, but I plan to cram as absolutely much as possible into it to make it as well-rounded and comprehensive as it can be. Because Hector truly deserves some more love, and I've just collected all this stuff while rping him.

So, given that, and given that I like(!?) overachieving as much as possible and what a great response the idea has gotten:

What do you want to see in your local Hector Barbossa shrine? Playlists, maybe? Discussion of character design influencing character? A discussion of his tropes? Come at me.

Thanks!
a black sky above, our kingdom beneath, die in the waves or live on your knees
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: Salt

Post by Robin »

omG that layout is fantastic, first of all <3

As for suggestions, you've covered quite a lot already, but as an avid music lover I would love to see a playlist of songs you feel are appropriate for him/fit his character and experiences. And YES tropes where applicable! :D :D
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Sine

Post by Sine »

Robin wrote:omG that layout is fantastic, first of all <3

As for suggestions, you've covered quite a lot already, but as an avid music lover I would love to see a playlist of songs you feel are appropriate for him/fit his character and experiences. And YES tropes where applicable! :D :D
<3 Thank you! I'm so proud I pulled it off. Mostly.

Playlists are always fun, imo? I build so many, it'd be nice to share them. And yeah, I agree. I don't think I'd cover all of them - there are simply just too many - but the least obvious ones or ones that really touch on his deeper character could be fun to pick apart.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Seriously this is the best site EVER. I'm a massive pirate fan (my "brand"/portfolio is saucypirate, lol) and I absolute LOVE that you're going over PotC in relation to real life events. I can't even believe how much stuff you've thought of already! xD

There's only one suggestion I would make about your site design... I actually really love it but the text is a little bit hard to read. I know that sometimes our monitors have different colour values so it might just be my screen but I think if you made the text a little brighter, it'd help in case anyone else is having trouble like myself. xD Otherwise I love how you've organized it and I love your colour choices! They're very Barbossa~ XD

Oh! Actually, I just thought of something... you could include information about Barbossa as he is OUTSIDE of the movies! :D Like I know he's in Disney Infinity but there's probably comic books or novels too? It'd be cool to learn more about that if it's applicable. :3
Sine

Post by Sine »

wolfrun wrote:Seriously this is the best site EVER. I'm a massive pirate fan (my "brand"/portfolio is saucypirate, lol) and I absolute LOVE that you're going over PotC in relation to real life events. I can't even believe how much stuff you've thought of already! xD

There's only one suggestion I would make about your site design... I actually really love it but the text is a little bit hard to read. I know that sometimes our monitors have different colour values so it might just be my screen but I think if you made the text a little brighter, it'd help in case anyone else is having trouble like myself. xD Otherwise I love how you've organized it and I love your colour choices! They're very Barbossa~ XD

Oh! Actually, I just thought of something... you could include information about Barbossa as he is OUTSIDE of the movies! :D Like I know he's in Disney Infinity but there's probably comic books or novels too? It'd be cool to learn more about that if it's applicable. :3
I have a friend that rps the Jack Sparrow to my Hector and together we have amassed so much crap between headcanons and official sources and first drafts of scripts and...I just have a lot Hector-related info and just plain stuff. It's almost a little sad. When other friends go to Disney World and send you care packages of PotC and Barbossa related goodies sad.

Ahem.

But yeah, no, I really want to do a comparison?? Because the Golden Age is my jam and it was literally over by the time PotC happens (1730-ish to around 1750-ish, so yeah), and there are some anachronisms in PotC like teddy bears and Regency dresses during the Rococo period so I just. :inlove: The history nerd in me loves the idea that it's an au to real history and I could talk about how it all skews and lines up for days.

Layout wise, thank you for telling me! The downside of my gaming rig is that my monitor is super bright and hd so it probably has to do with my settings making everything much, much brighter than it probably is. I'll see if I can't fiddle and find a brighter version of that color family I like a bit better.

I'm going to cover both! Non-canon appearances (DI, KH) and canon (which are the books - there's six he actually appears in - and the one Disney Adventures comic he popped up in). His canon is...Actually really extensive outside of the movies and it covers everything from his meeting Jack Sparrow to the mutiny that caused all that trouble, so there's plenty of non-film stuff to work with.

I'll probably put in a snippet about him getting added to the ride as well. I haven't seen it yet, but I hear they overhauled him and he's pretty great now.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

The site looks great so far! Looking forward to the timeline!
Laura

Post by Laura »

Sine wrote:I have a friend that rps the Jack Sparrow to my Hector and together we have amassed so much crap between headcanons and official sources and first drafts of scripts and...I just have a lot Hector-related info and just plain stuff. It's almost a little sad. When other friends go to Disney World and send you care packages of PotC and Barbossa related goodies sad.

Ahem.

But yeah, no, I really want to do a comparison?? Because the Golden Age is my jam and it was literally over by the time PotC happens (1730-ish to around 1750-ish, so yeah), and there are some anachronisms in PotC like teddy bears and Regency dresses during the Rococo period so I just. :inlove: The history nerd in me loves the idea that it's an au to real history and I could talk about how it all skews and lines up for days.

Layout wise, thank you for telling me! The downside of my gaming rig is that my monitor is super bright and hd so it probably has to do with my settings making everything much, much brighter than it probably is. I'll see if I can't fiddle and find a brighter version of that color family I like a bit better.

I'm going to cover both! Non-canon appearances (DI, KH) and canon (which are the books - there's six he actually appears in - and the one Disney Adventures comic he popped up in). His canon is...Actually really extensive outside of the movies and it covers everything from his meeting Jack Sparrow to the mutiny that caused all that trouble, so there's plenty of non-film stuff to work with.

I'll probably put in a snippet about him getting added to the ride as well. I haven't seen it yet, but I hear they overhauled him and he's pretty great now.
Ooooooooooo, that'd be really cool, to be able to read some of the RP you to with your friend! XD I used to do that myself a long time ago and some of the stuff we did turned out to be pretty good stories. :)

I also know what you mean about the real life stuff vs PotC stuff. I guess PotC is canonically near the "end" of the age of piracy, if I remember correctly? This is something I'd definitely love to read more about on your shrine! (I wonder what you'd have to say after reading One Piece... xD)

It's cool to know that there's so much outside of the films for Barbossa. :D I like the movies but I haven't gotten too into it outside of that, so I'm really looking forward to hearing about the other materials. xD
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I don't have much to add and your outline looks very creative and solid already, but. I just wanted to say that that entire "Information" section is totally an excuse for shameless piracy nerdery AND I LOVE IT, CAN'T WAIT.
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

YES PIRATE SHRINE!!! :D

I used to be really into pirates myself wee! I think I would love to see a discussion of Barbosa and tropes and also discussion of him and real life variants. Like were there real pirates that were similar to him? Who was he based on, do you think?

I can't wait to see everything else you have planned because it sounds AMAZING.

On a side note about the design: I find that my eye is drawn to the super bright face popping out in the lower right so I am distracted away from the text. I'm wondering what you would think about lightening up the text and maybe adding some line height so the text can breathe a bit more?