Sensory Processing Disorder Site

Planning to create or to revamp a shrine and need some help or a second eye with your content? Post away!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: I was thinking....

Post by Robin »

1) DEFINITELY make a site about it. Informational sites are the best for raising awareness about stuff that non-sufferers wouldn't even think twice about. (and hey we can affiliate information sites when you're done ~~~~ ^o^)

2) A few pertinent things to cover:
- What are the current known/hypothesized causes of Sensory Processing Disorder?
- In what age range does it usually manifest first?
- Are there varying levels of SPD severity? (Elaborate if so)
- What forms can SPD take? Does it affect all five senses at once or just one or two?
- What are the daily struggles you face as a person with SPD? How do you cope best?
- How is SPD diagnosed and treated by the medical profession?
- What are some common misconceptions about SPD?
- Any related disorders?

...Whew sorry, just realized I typed a TON of questions. But I hope this helps you get started on some ideas!! *hugs*
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

Oh no Robin, it's the perfect amount, the more the better since as someone who deals with it every day and what not, I have no idea what to put and those are golden! (Yes we can affiliate when I'm done :D)

Some of them I don't know since I'm not a professional but it does give me other ideas of what else to put.
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Yes, please make this! I think that it's really awesome that more people in the shrine community want to make sites to speak out and help others deal by sharing their experiences! Just some ideas from a person who is in the dark:

What is SPD?
What causes it? How does it affect someone in their every day life? What obstacles do people with SPD experience on a daily basis?
How to help someone with SPD?
How should I talk to someone who has SPD? What would help me understand what they are going through? What are some things that you SHOULDN'T say or do to someone with SPD?
What are some key trademarks of SPD?
How can someone who doesn't have SPD help support someone who does?

That's all I have in my brain right now but I'm sure I will have many more questions in the future. I do hope you make this site! I would love to learn more! ♥
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I love this! <333

Robin and Destinie have already covered it really well, those are all really great things to address. I'd like to add to the "What are the daily struggles you face as a person with SPD? How do you cope best?"/"How does it affect someone in their every day life?" suggestions: I think it'd be nice to give general examples on this, then follow it up with how SPD personally affects you daily if you're comfortable sharing. I like what you had to say about the marching band, and having a specific case with someone talking about their personal experiences can make it easier for readers to grasp the subject, I feel.

As for the coping aspect, if you have daily routines or habits, I'd definitely consider listing those as personal "examples" too (for example, what kind of clothes you're comfortable wearing, whether there are activities or places you actively avoid, etc.)
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

@Destinie: Thank you, those will help so much too :D

@Lethe: I'll make sure to do daily life since it's a huge part of our lives. While I may not have it as severe as others, I'll be sure to touch on all the basics of what people with SPD deal with every day.
FandomSavant

Re: Sensory Processing Disorder Site

Post by FandomSavant »

Fantastic idea!! My daughter and I are both Autistic (though, to be fair, I'm thus far self-diagnosed) and sensory processing is a huge struggle for us (especially her). This would be wonderful to read.

Hi! I'm Patricia.

FandomSavant.com - home of my stuff
Twitter: @FandomSavant
Laura

Post by Laura »

I think this is a really, really good idea. I'm all for creating awareness about all mental health disorders and I think creating a site like this is a really good way to try to provide information to people in a coherent way. Kudos to you for taking the initiative. :D

The only thing I'd add is just to make sure you can give links to actual peer-reviewed studies so that people can see that what you're saying isn't just anecdotal. I figure you would anyway but I just had to mention it in case. xD Either way, I really look forward to reading about more of your experiences and to better understand what you go through.

BTW Robin I love your site on depression, I wish I had that as a resource when I first went through my own depressive episodes. :)
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

wolfrun wrote:I think this is a really, really good idea. I'm all for creating awareness about all mental health disorders and I think creating a site like this is a really good way to try to provide information to people in a coherent way. Kudos to you for taking the initiative. :D

The only thing I'd add is just to make sure you can give links to actual peer-reviewed studies so that people can see that what you're saying isn't just anecdotal. I figure you would anyway but I just had to mention it in case. xD Either way, I really look forward to reading about more of your experiences and to better understand what you go through.

BTW Robin I love your site on depression, I wish I had that as a resource when I first went through my own depressive episodes. :)
Great tip on using peer-reviewed studies for any mental health related site! Very very important :)

And thank you for the compliment on my depression site :D I'm hopeful it will help others who may be suffering depression and either are unaware or ashamed. :)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

Hey, Camy. I just want to chime in that I think this site is a really great idea. As someone who suffers from mental illness, I love informative sites that help to raise awareness. I don't have much to add other than I really love all the suggestions everyone gave here. Good luck <3
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

Whoops haven't been checking here xD

@FandomSavant: Thank you! Hopefully I can work on it next month~

@wolfrun: Thank you, I'll make sure to find those studies :D

@Megan A: No problem about adding more <3 It's great to see that other people are curious too, as well as those who have it already to read what other people go through.