Your first layouts vs. your most recent ones

Discuss anything concerning websites that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Forum rules
General Site Discussion is for website discussion that doesn't seem to fit under any of the other forums in this category. Shrine Discussions covers discussions about shrine content, Graphics and Coding covers anything visual and code-related of site-making.
Bobbi

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:09 am

Let's share how we've progressed! It's always fun to see how our skills have grown over time. I like seeing these threads with other hobbies I'm into like cosplay and j-fashion. Let's see webdesign skills! Share what you've got!

This is the oldest thing I can get a good screencap of. Everything else I have saved is tiny. It's my personal site hosted on geocities in 2000. Seventeen years ago. In there, I'm talking about moving to envy.nu and making a new layout with javascript image scrollbars, all the dead mall stores I used to love to shop at as a teenager!!! Oh and I had pages and pages of adoptables. This was in a javascript popup and I'm pretty sure I remember colored scrollbars on there (now defunct code?). I was 18 and I had no idea what I was doing?!!? I liked FFVIII and FFVI. :heh:
https://imgur.com/OeXllPx

And this is a more recent layout for my domain. I'm 35 now. lol Still love FFVIII and FFVI, but just a little obsessed with FFXV now.
http://quicksilver.nu/images/layoutv2.jpg
And here's a teaser of my Prompto shrine. I'm probably the most proud of this design!
https://i.imgur.com/ny88KmW.jpg

Janna

Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:59 pm

omg. I love your newest design it's amazing!! The older one doesn't even look bad! I remember my first site design... although I have no screencaps of it xD But it had various scrolling divs around the page :D;; *shivers* And my most recent one is the parallax design I built for my Tobias Forge shrine, which makes me notice just HOW FAR I've come since 2006 wow. The oldest design I have a screencap of is probably a livejournal layout... I'll try to upload a picture sometime xD

dubiousdisc
Administrator

Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:11 pm

Awww, that's a lovely thread and a lovely idea, Bobbi!

Wow, those were other times XD Colored scrollbars... And back when a layout could be 400 px wide and still take the whole screen!

I don't have a screenshot of my firstest designs (I remember the very first one involved a full-page diagonal gradient in blue though. The second one was orange and red and burnt out your eyes. The third one was red and blue and the site had A MIDI ON IT), but I have a screenshot of the first version of my Sneasel shrine, as it looked like in 2006.
What was I thinking?!

And I guess right now the most recent layout is the one for the Oblivion site.

To be fair to all of our past skills, web technology was very primitive at the time... There were certain things that, even if you wanted to have them, you couldn't. Like circles. Circles used to be off limits. XD

Bobbi

Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:05 pm

@dubiousdisc I love your recent layout! That paralax thing is really cool. I love all the styling for the navigation area too!
dubiousdisc wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:11 pm
To be fair to all of our past skills, web technology was very primitive at the time... There were certain things that, even if you wanted to have them, you couldn't. Like circles. Circles used to be off limits. XD
I remember when everything was done with frames, then tables. The mere concept of putting together a layout with css and divs was pretty insane. Then skinning your sites became a thing for awhile. I think I first used CSS for colored scrollbars and had no idea what it was really for otherwise. Hard to believe all these years later everything is really strictly css and we can do all kinds of things with it.

But yeah if you wanted circles, you made them as graphics yourself.

I used to be a part of this site competition / awards thing where people voted for you and you compete with other sites from different categories and a winner is chosen every month? So many of those sites used embedded tables with no table border styles and animated glittery fairy gifs. :heh:

Fiona

Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:22 pm

I only have this super tiny screenshot of the first layout of my first domain collective, This was back in 2002 and it was one of the first layouts I've made but not my very first one, since I had random sites on geocities before I was gifted my first domain.

I was really into frames layouts, colored/semi-transparent scrollbars, javascript text effects, and semi-transparent/drop-shadow text back in the days lol. I still have some of the raw files of my old sites, but the browsers don't read some of the css correctly, so they look terrible usually with the scrollbar not position correctly, but I happen to have a decent screencap of a layout I made for another domain collective I had back in 2004. (Yes, I was into making "vexel" graphics/illustrations back in the days too. :swt2:

After I took a break for a while and went back into shrine making in 2007, I think everyone was into a combination of tables/divs layouts (or maybe it was just tables), so I tried my hand at that when I put my Gabranth shrine up.

My most recent layout is the one up at my update blog at the moment but my favorite of my most recent layouts is the one for my Kazama shrine.

While some webmasters/webmisstresses have his/her own distinctive style, I think I'm just all over the place, since I personally see making layouts as an experiment, and I tend to fail a lot but sometimes I do come up with something that I personally really like. :3
"Spread your wings in the stormy winds..."

Robin
Events Staffer

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:08 pm

My first layout (made for my Yu-Gi-Oh! site, back in October of 2003) is thankfully not screenshotted, but just picture this:

No images at ALL (lol what is the img tag?)
Cyan blue background
Navy blue text, Times New Roman size 12
Medium-purple links that turned Barbie pink when clicked

And for some ungodly reason I had a giant introduction and then navigation PARAGRAPHS (not even just links) at the very very BOTTOM of the page, where you actually had to scroll down to see them. It was basically formatted like a colorful Word document, no side-by-side content or nothing. I just didn't even know how to do it any other way; even tables made zero sense to me.

And then I forgot to actually make any hyperlinks to any of my other pages for the first month the site was up. :swt: :swt: :swt: roflllll it literally took somebody else emailing me like "hey I want to see some of your other pages but the links don't work?" Then I realized all I'd done was underline the intended nav links without actually making them hyperlinks a;lskdjfalksdjfskjdf

(In my defense, it was my very very first site, and I had only really been studying HTML via horrible dialup internet on my own for a few months...I really didn't know squat about all the cool stuff you could do with HTML, and CSS was a foreign tongue still. I remember I styled everything with <font style=""> for that whole first layout. homgggggg LOL)

(And as you can see from this screenshot of my first WMW.org layout, the mid-2000s iframe feel was strong with this one. Transparent iframe layouts were my first love, what can I say?? LOL)

My latest layout is probably my current domain look, version 16, which I am still ridiculously proud of and definitely scroll through on a daily basis just to admire the pRETTY and the PARALLAXxxxxx <3<3<3<3<3
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org

dubiousdisc
Administrator

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:31 pm

@Bobbi I can't be sure anymore, but reading what you wrote gave me some vague memory that suggests that I might have learned about CSS in the same way!

Glitter fairy gifs were and are still awesome though XD

@Fiona Aw, it looks like even your first layouts were really good though! I know that, had I seen that back in the day, I would have been definitely super impressed...

@Robin looool i'm dead
THE THING WITH THE HYPERLINKS asvgdhsadjklas;d I'll be laughing for the next few days

ALSO what was up with back then and them being HYPERlinks! I mean, I know that's still their name but... back then you actually would say HYPERLINKS out loud, and before I knew what they even were they conjured images of space travel and ludicrous speed and they're just... click to go over here. I guess that's why we dropped the hyper in the end.

Your first layout XD wow, how far you've come! Although I really can't hate the super 2000s swirl filter background...

Bobbi

Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:18 pm

dubiousdisc wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:31 pm
ALSO what was up with back then and them being HYPERlinks!
ALSO WORLD WIDE WEB. THE INFORMATION SUPERHIGHWAY. Then people were calling it "the net" like you know that Sandra Bullock movie from the mid 90's.

Speaking of which, who else had their navigation up like, Me, You, WWW? XD

Me had all your personal stuff.
You would have the same old stuff that every other site had like surveys and quizzes, adoptables, maybe free graphics. I had awards on my site that I gave out to people monthly. If you were lucky enough to have a domain back then, you could offer hosting. And then WWW was just like links and site info or whatever?

Oh man, I wanted to be hosted so bad. :< Nobody would host me. Then I bought my domain and had hostees. We had a little hostee group blog. I only talk to one of my old hostees now and I follow him on FB. He still does web dev stuff, but no longer does personal stuff online. But yeah being hosted on a cool domain was like, serious status level stuff right there. And then there were elite cliques. Anyone remember those? Like it's not just any clique, this clique is only good enough for people who I say are good enough. lololol.

Janna

Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:27 am

All of this brings back old memories HAHAHA from back in 2006, that is.
YES all these blinkies sites with navigation being YOU, ME, WWW. It was such a trend. Also the being hosted by a popular webmaster / webmistress! Haha oh my.

In the jrock scene it was even worse. People with domains and fansites were, most of the time, SO MEAN. I tell you, they were so high on themselves, one would approach them or read their about me sections and be immediately put off by how MEAN they were, like: "don't email me for nothing, don't steal anything or I'll hunt your head down, if you don't have decent graphic skills don't even mention affiliation to me" (and their graphic skills were pretty meh themselves xD

I also needed being hosted but no one would accept me. So I bought my first and only domain (hana-no-miyako.net, oh my I miss it) and had it for a year or two, then had to close it down because I was a student and my parents couldn't afford it. Now I'm hosted at three-words and I'm happy for now, but with all my projects I see myself buying my own domain soon, for which I'll ask you all for suggestions on where and what to buy 8B

And the cliques... I... no.

nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:15 pm

I have no screenshots but I started out on Geocities. The searing pain of it all xD
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone

• Information