Your websites folder: divine or disaster?

Discuss anything concerning websites that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Forum rules
General Site Discussion is for website discussion that doesn't seem to fit under any of the other forums in this category. Shrine Discussions covers discussions about shrine content, Graphics and Coding covers anything visual and code-related of site-making.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:50 pm

Context: I'm looking at my Web Site folder with despair as a ton of stuff collides and different versions of sites, folders and files live in complete disarray.

How do you organize your website/shrine folder(s)? Especially in regard to things like different versions of sites, updates, revamp, and adding new sites to your collective? My current (lack of) system is a giant mess and it's starting to make things very difficult as I try to build up my new collective offline.

I'd take a screenshot but... it's bad.

It's very bad.

Help me Obi Wan Amassment.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone

Todd

Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:34 pm

I have three main folders on my laptop: Sites, Work, and School. Work has folders for each period inside, School has a folder for each class I take, and Sites has a folder for each one of my sites. In that, I have the current version of each site.

I have a PSD folder within the Sites folder where I save all my Photoshop save files so I can edit layouts later if I need to. I also have a Textures folder inside with scanned and downloaded textures.

Fiona

Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:15 pm

I would say that my organizational style tends to result in "an organized mess", if I need to look for something, I tend to know which pile of stuff to look under, lol.

That said, I have a folder named "cissneinet" for anything website related that I know would become a part of cissnei.net. Whenever I start a new site/new shrine, I would put everything in the folder that would be the eventually become the path/url when I upload it to the server. For example, for my Gabranth shrine, I have a folder named "gabranth".

When I start a new shrine, I usually wouldn't any other sub-folders under the main shrine folder until the files start to pile up. I usually group all my "raw" files (.psd for layouts and .doc for content) and my "resources" files (i.e: images I might want to use for a layout) in the same folder, usually named "raw" or something like that. Then as I began coding and pulling pieces for the shrine, the folders would be structured the same as how my sites are normally structured once uploaded (i.e: An "images" folder for all the graphics, a "css" folder for css files and so on).

When I decide to make a new layout or revamp a shrine etc., I would make a new folder with the previous version number (i.e: "v1" or "version1" if what I'm working on is version 2 of the shrine etc.), and dump everything I had previously into that folder for archival purposes. It's not the most efficient way, since you will end up with duplicate files for some things that you'd want to keep the same, but for my own purposes, I tend to not copy things that I know will stay the same in the new versions of my sites.

I will backup my sites onto an external hardrive once in a while, so when I do that, I tend to delete that old versions on my computer to make space, and if I need to reference the old versions, I'd just copy from my external drive again.

I'm not extremely organized, but this is what works for me. :)
"Spread your wings in the stormy winds..."

dubiousdisc
Administrator

Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:29 pm

Yeah I pretty much do what Fiona does each site in its own folder, then for the versions there's the copying of everything old and now it's the version 1 folder. When I remember to do that, I add the date I made the folder in the folder name, so it's like v1-030617.

For the layout, I just make a /layout folder which contains the css, all assets, whichever scripts, blah blah. The psds and other junk that might be useful but doesn't need to be uploaded will be in a /source folder within the /layout folder.

Larissa
Time Traveler

Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:19 pm

Once upon a time, I named all of my site folders after the name of the site. As you can imagine, I could never find anything. Ever.

These days I have a pretty simple structure. I have a folder for each fansite (or future fansite) in my /sites folder (so /ayu, /cid, /ff12, etc) and then all of my fanlisting stuff goes in the /fanlistings folder to reduce clutter. I keep all fansites on the same folder level because it's just quicker to access them that way (rather than clicking into /pokemon, then /gyarados, etc etc).

Inside each site folder the structure is usually pretty similar to what ultimately gets uploaded - /img folder, sometimes a separate /caps folder if I have a gallery, /css & /js (self-explanatory, sometimes merged). Everything else (psds, php files, test html files) tends to land in the main folder of the site in a messy jumble but it works out eventually...

I don't have a lot of sites with multiple versions, but usually they end up in a creatively named /old folder, and inside there I have /1, /2, /3, etc if there are multiple versions.

It's a bit messy, but it's way better than it used to be so honestly I'll take it. All that matters is finding a method that works for you, really.
tonight fate is the

Stefi
Administrator

Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:40 pm

My website files are actually much more organized than the rest of the files on my computer, though that isn't say much tbh.

I actually have a very similar process to Fiona's; my folder files mimic how everything is organized on my server. Everything that is under that site folder is an exact copy of what's on my domain with the exception of a folder called either 'FILES' or 'ARCHIVE'. This folder is a dump for everything else that isn't uploaded to my server. For example, within my /balthier folder, there's a folder called /FILES that contains every layout I've ever made (even if it didn't make the cut), drafts of old writing, PSD's, etc. It basically functions as an archive or miscellaneous folder. If I want to move a file from the main site path to an archived state, I just drag and drop to the /FILES folder.

Every site folder had one of these archive sub-folders, which is actually not sorted and kind of unorganized itself, but works for me because it makes things simple and easy to search.

Destinie

Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:38 am

Hmm probably disaster? I always have a lot of projects in the works but I try to organize.

I have one called "websites" then I break it up into "domains" and "portfolio" (which is still in the works unfortunately), then each of my domains has a folder within that, and then within there each site has its own folder as well. After I make a layout I delete my old PSD files for the designs but I wonder if I should keep all old versions? Something I never really thought about...

Robin
Events Staffer

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:54 pm

I recently reorganized my sites folder, so I think it's closer to divine than disaster. I got it out of purgatory, anyway. LOL

I used to have all my sites in separate folders according to site name, like Larissa mentioned. Eventually, when I got so many sites built and my sites folder started to bulge out like my tummy in too tight jeans, I got "sick-of-it-itis" and reworked it to the following structure:

Sites
> Domain and Me
> Fansites
> One Page Features (kind of a misnomer now, see below)
> Informational Sites
> Tributes
> Font Maps
> Archive

Domain and Me is the folder for all those teeny tiny "about domain" features that have nowhere to go (layout archive, /domain, /exits, etc.). It also houses the personal page about me.

Fansites houses all my HUGE SUPER MAJOR projects, such as Team Rocket, Eighth Doctor, Dove II, etc. It contains future projects as well, because otherwise I would forget I was wanting to work on other things ^_^;

Informational Sites holds all my stuff concerning the depression info site, my City of Heroes character site, my declutter and unspend sites, etc.

One Page Features has (I think) my new music site, which is now multipage, so it shouldn't be in there anymore...but I can't figure out where to put it else. LOL!! It also has my novel page, college classes page, etc.

Tributes just references my British Tv shows site and my video games site...it's an embarrassing file and I don't go into it much ^_^; so outdate, many f*cks not given, wow

Font Maps contains my custom Maps for all my downloaded symbol fonts, because I can never remember which symbol font has which symbol on which key. LOL they were all just made by me literally typing in every key's symbol and shift key symbol onto a blank white photoshop image and then saving it #thereifixedit

Archive contains all my old sites that are no longer online, which may be reuploaded for nostalgia someday. (My yugioh site, my super smash bros site, a lot of weird crap I monkeyed around with without ever uploading 'cause I ended up hating it halfway through XD )

Each site has its own sub folder in this hierarchy, and within each site's folder I also keep separate archives of every design I've done just in case I need to reference old code later. (It happens embarrassingly often--"how the &$!# did I do this %*^#ing stupid bootstrap code last year omg"). #hoarderwins

In general, it's a lot better now! I also retitled each site folder to be about the subject, because who can remember my cutesy little Shrine name at 3am when I'm grumpy and trying to find where in heaven's name this file got saved?? LOL
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org

Saya

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:12 am

Does Divine Disaster counts? Because for example if someone else checks my site folders they will probably do not understand anything but overall myself I have an organised chaos I know where I put stuff;
For example FF14 shrine has a huge folder with huge number of subfolders that sometimes look without any type of visible organisation, but in the end there is I can assure you XD
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.

dubiousdisc
Administrator

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:41 pm

Saya: If it suits you and you can find things easily, then it means that it works, isn't it? :D

• Information