Domain Names

Discuss anything concerning websites that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Forum rules
General Site Discussion is for website discussion that doesn't seem to fit under any of the other forums in this category. Shrine Discussions covers discussions about shrine content, Graphics and Coding covers anything visual and code-related of site-making.
Eden

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:26 pm

I couldn't find a specific place to put this so if any moderators find a better place, you can move it...? lol

Anyway, since we're a website community, why not discuss domain names!? I love them and I'm addicted to them. I go through them like nuts until I find one that I love. I bought a few (thank you namecheap promotions!) and I'm really happy with them. I ended up buying one for my future tribute collective but as beautiful as it is, I'm not happy with it being that... in fact, I bought a domain name off the marketplace that I'm more happy with than the one I got with the promotion!

Anyway, talk about domains here! I have a few questions to ask! Feel free to answer them, none at all, or come up with your own. :3
1. How many domains do you have?
2. What is your favorite tld/extension?
3. What domain name registrar do you use/is your favorite?
4. Have you bought a domain for a specific purpose rather than all-purpose? (ie shrine)
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!

Todd

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:39 pm

So far, 3. Nightbringer.net of course, and breathe-drew.net for my Drew Barrymore site are my own personal ones. I also bought amassment.org for this place, but it's all of ours. :P I meant for breathe-drew to expire, but it autorenewed, so I guess I should use it, lol.

I use .net the most since I mostly make networks. .org worked for Amassment cause we're a shrining organization.

I like Namecheap cause they do a contest each year.

4. Have you bought a domain for a specific purpose rather than all-purpose? (ie shrine)
Just the Drew one.

I'd eventually like to rebuy sinspawn.net, a domain I owned in the past, for my Final Fantasy sites, and t0dd.org for personal crap. lol Holding off til I actually have a decent amount of content to justify them though.

Crystal

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:47 pm

Currently I own one. That being my baby ZerudaORG. <3

I'm quite fond of the .org extension. <3

Well hard to say considering I've only ever used one. That being Godaddy.com. They've been very helpful with problems I've had so I can't complain. xD

I used to have one specifically for fanlistings but I lost interest in maintaining it so I moved them back to my main domain.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.

Aku

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:56 pm

Up until this year I only had one domain for my hobby-related activities! I now have two: shinkirou.net (for shrines + everything else i feel like doing) & donten.org (for fanlistings). I also have a .com for my professional portfolio, but I won't share it here, haha. Shinkirou is my baby though!

I don't think I have a preference. .net has always made sense to me, but I like the way .org sounds, haha. So when I purchased "donten", I went with a .org! #NOLOGIC

I've bought all my names & host them on one Lunarpages account. A long-time hostess of mine used them and never had problems in all the years I was with her, so it's been my go-to place since I stopped being a freeloader lol. They've always been reliable for me!

I haven't, but I've thought about it. I just don't host enough content about any specific subject/have a big enough stand alone project to warrant it, haha. Rather than buy a specific-purpose domain name and then expect myself to create the content for it, I'd like to make sure I have the content first... not too fond of the idea of throwing away money for the sake of a vanity URL I may never use.

I'm curious about the reasonings behind everyone's domain names? Both of mine are from song titles. (Shinkirou being my favorite song from my most favorite musician ever, Donten being my favorite song from my most favorite anime ever. XD I also like the mysterious/dark air involved in both the words...) I've always wanted an English domain name, but I feel like you have to get pretty creative with word combinations in order to get one!

dubiousdisc
Administrator

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:07 pm

Two, one for my fandom shit and one as my portfolio

I don't think I have a favorite, but I got .net for my fandom stuff because it sounded right for a network of sites? My portfolio is on a .it mostly because I have legitimate access to one of the coolest domain hacks, how could I not use it XD

I've only used one and that's Aruba, a local one that I know because a friend was using it. So far no issues with it.

No, I don't want to hog names XD

Todd

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:08 pm

Aku wrote:I'm curious about the reasonings behind everyone's domain names? Both of mine are from song titles. (Shinkirou being my favorite song from my most favorite musician ever, Donten being my favorite song from my most favorite anime ever. XD I also like the mysterious/dark air involved in both the words...) I've always wanted an English domain name, but I feel like you have to get pretty creative with word combinations in order to get one!
Nightbringer is one of Tidus' weapons in Final Fantasy X, but it's also used in various other dark/scif-fi/horror comics, movies, etc. I really like the horror genre, and the subjects I shrine are pretty dark, so it fit. It also sounds and looks really cool.

Eden

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Eden wrote:1. How many domains do you have?
1. I currently have... 6. They are as follows:
- vampire-grin.net ~ my fanlisting collective and main hub. Since I do fanlistings, this is my main website that showcases my entire collection of listings.
- small-lady.net ~ a domain centered around Chibi Usa from Sailor Moon. Mostly fanlistings reside here, but maybe someday a tribute.
- taiyoken.net ~ a domain for my Dragonball-releated fanlistings and future tributes.
- lumiere-noire.org ~ this is a domain I had bought to be my main collective, but as beautiful as it is, I have very little inspiration to use this.
- spacemoo.net ~ a random domain I bought on the namecheap marketplace and I decided to use this as my main collective once I figure out what to put on it. It made me laugh for hours and I think just for that, it's going to be my main collective. I dub it "cows in space". :P
- hausofeden.com ~ was going to be my portfolio but I'm gonna let it expire since I decided not to have one.

2. My favorite tld is .net. I ignore what they stand for mostly and I need to like the sound of the extension with the word I'm using. Only time I've not used .net is for lumiere-noire which sounded better with a .org.

3. I use Namecheap because they're inexpensive, not attached to a hosting company (they do hosting, but not strictly known for it), and they have this no-nonsense air about them. I also love the promotions they do. I've entered all their domain contests but never won any. :(

4. I've bought domains for different fandoms if I had more fanlistings and ran out of names for folders. examples: small lady for Chibiusa stuff; taiyoken for dbz stuff... etc.
Aku wrote: I'm curious about the reasonings behind everyone's domain names? Both of mine are from song titles. (Shinkirou being my favorite song from my most favorite musician ever, Donten being my favorite song from my most favorite anime ever. XD I also like the mysterious/dark air involved in both the words...) I've always wanted an English domain name, but I feel like you have to get pretty creative with word combinations in order to get one!
I took vampire-grin.net from a Lady Gaga song "Dance in the Dark". I really fell in love with the lyrics and the song is my favorite. :) Small-lady is Chibi Usa's name, taiyoken is Tenshinhan's signature move (solar flare) and lumiere-noire is "black light" in French. :D
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!

Michelle

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Sun-Cryst.org and Last-Fencer.net! And formerly Meteor-Smash.org. I also own one for my sister's portfolio, which is just her name.
I only like .org and .net for some reason. I think .nu is really cute for shorter domain names, but it's expensive. There doesn't seem to be as many .nus as there used to be.
Namecheap! I love their promotions and contests. I've never, ever had a problem with them.
I bought Last Fencer as a place to host my Tales related sites. I realllly liked the way the name sounded and I had way too many Tales sites than any sane person should, so I figured why not? I'd probably open it up to host related sites, too.

I'd like to get a personal domain sometime. The name I have in mind is after a song...
seek you the sun-cryst, slumb'ring star. in tower on distant shore it dreams.

Sarah
Time Traveler

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:03 pm

1. How many domains do you have? Just one :content:
2. What is your favorite tld/extension? .org
3. What domain name registrar do you use/is your favorite? I use Namecheap, and I love them. Never had a problem.
4. Have you bought a domain for a specific purpose rather than all-purpose? (ie shrine) No, but I have thought about a domain for Marty.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.

Cherri

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:04 pm

1. I just have the one, piratesboard.net.
2. I would say net, but nu always sounded cute.
3. Um, I just used start logic cause they over domain registrar and host. Seemed like a good one and no problems so far.
4. Nope.

There wasn't much rhym or reason to picking my domain name. After a game of pirate monopoly my sister said "pirate's board" and I went, "when I get a domain that will be what I pick". Then it came time to pick a name and was like I'll just go with that.
;o; *** pew! pew!

• Information