Host Problems

Discuss anything concerning websites that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Forum rules
General Site Discussion is for website discussion that doesn't seem to fit under any of the other forums in this category. Shrine Discussions covers discussions about shrine content, Graphics and Coding covers anything visual and code-related of site-making.
Destinie

Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:59 pm

Hi all, I need some advice in regards to my winged-victory.net domain that houses my fanlistings. Here's my story:

I'm currently hosted by asmallorange and I have had this site hosted there for years, since roughly around 2010, and I never had any problems. Back in early December I received a notice that someone tried to hack into my server and thus they reset all my passwords and asked me to go through the process of getting a new password and logging in. All well and good. Around this time, I received my billing statement that my auto-renew was processed (hosting + domain name) which totaled 70 USD.

Here's where things get weird. 1) I kept receiving emails from OpenSNS that my domain name was NOT renewed 2) Whenever I try to request a new password I never receive an email to reset my password to my email account. Based on this, I was wondering if my account was hacked and that is why I'm not getting any of the password reset emails. I sent an email to their abuse line and heard back once where they asked me to verify my identity by giving them my billing zip. I did this and never heard back.

I emailed them at least two more times and never heard anything.

I tried to email the billing department to ask about the charge and why my domain name isn't registered. I received an auto-reply that I can't send emails to their billing department and I need to use their live chat feature.

Every time I try to use the live chat feature it does not work. It never loads for me. I tried on several different machines, made sure everything is up to date, but I can't seem to use it. So my only option is to get someone on live chat at this point? I'm a little frustrated! I wouldn't be so upset but this account also houses my tsum tsum collection website AND I was charge $70!

Does anyone have any advice on what I can/should do? I'm at a bit of a loss at this point. :(

Masao
Host

Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:00 pm

Oh wow Destinie, that is awful.

I would suggest moving off them, because it looks like they have terrible service and support. Try to get your refund at least, their site says 90 days?).

As for your domain, check the Whois, to see what is the registrar and who has ownership. If they can't be reached (or you don't want to pay them the highway robbery fee to buy it back), then unfortunately you'll have to give up on that domain...

In the future I would stay clear of hosting+domain deals, even if the domain is free, and register it off namecheap or something independent and that has better service and support.

:cry: Good luck.
THE FATE OF DESTRUCTION IS ALSO THE JOY OF REBIRTH.

Destinie

Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:03 pm

Thanks, Masao. I looked up the Whois and I am still listed as the owner! Not sure what to do from there. I'm going to try to make contact again. ;__;

Masao
Host

Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:10 pm

ugh then it looks like you're only locked out of your account, but still, that's really annoying. Maybe try (publicly) tweeting them? and say if you don't hear back you're going to cancel your plan because you've been treated awfully by them?
THE FATE OF DESTRUCTION IS ALSO THE JOY OF REBIRTH.

Destinie

Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:12 pm

I can try. I just sent another email to their help address instead of their abuse line to see if I hear anything. I will have to make my twitter public for a bit to get them to respond.

Destinie

Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:17 pm

LOL Here's the email I received from their Help Line:
***** NOTICE: Direct Email Ticket Creation Is Not Supported *****

Please be aware that your email has not been received. In an effort to improve our support and offer assistance even faster going forward, we’ve recently invested in our support teams and improved the overall structure.

So that we can assist you as quickly as possible, please join us in the Customer Portal linked below, where we have new self help options, as well as Live Chat where we can assist you directly with any immediate needs.
I can't get into the customer portal because I can't get the password reset emails ORZ

Destinie

Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:43 pm

AH Finally got some feedback on Twitter after 10 different emails. Thanks, Masao! :D ♥

Destinie

Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:19 pm

UPDATE: RESOLVED!! Apparently all you have to do is make a fuss on twitter to get someone to escalate your ticket. The entire mess was caused because there was an error on the registrar's end and my domain name wasn't renewed, which then in turn caused me to be locked out of my account because I did not have an active domain name. ORZ

I am leaving this post here for people to see and make their own judgement when looking for a host. I had been with this company for years and never had problems before, so it was shocking to me to go weeks without hearing anything.

nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:15 pm

EIG owns A Small Orange now so sadly it just might happen again... :sob:
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone

Destinie

Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:46 am

ugh I think I need to look into switching hosts...

• Information